1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

higher contrast = lower life expectancy??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by godi32, Jan 4, 2003.

1. godi32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi guys,

First of all a Happy Newyear to everybody on the forum!!

A friend of mine asked me a question and I didn't knew the answer.

He wants to buy a panasonic plasma but a salesperson told him that while the panasonic was among the best plasmas around the life expectancy was much lower because panasonic has the highest contrast ratios. He adviced the Fujitsu instead.

Is it true that a plasma with lower contrast figures has a higher life expectancy?

Thanks for your input!

Dirk Goris
  2. keyser

Standard Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    gardabaer, Iceland
    The panasonics naturally have very high contrast and aren´t being driven hard in that way, so actually I would think they have a longer life. Because the thing that happens in plasmas when they get old is the contrast gets lower, and because the panasonics have high contrast they can be tolerable for longer. And the panasonics don´t get ver hot (like the pioneers) like many others that run hard (sambo) and I guess that may also help them last longer.

But I would think that turning contrast and brightness up on inferiour plasmas you would be running them hard and making them last shorter.

Very strange that he would say that the Fujitsu´s would last longer because I think the 50" Fujitsu displays use Panasonic glass!

p.s. take all my advice lightly as I really don´t know anything, just pure speculation