1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HighDef.........When.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JetJockey, Mar 23, 2005.

1. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All.

I have just sold my old Panny 42" SD plasma and am about toi purchase a new High Def Model (hopefully).

What High Def material is actually out there though? I suppose there are Broadband downloads from News groups but my connection is limited to 1Mb or 2Mb at best. Is this enough? How does one stream it to the Display panel?

What about the High Def DVD's I see mentioned on here, are these Blue Ray or the new HD DVD? If so what players are being used? Or are these "Normal DVD's with some sort of upgraded encoding (Mpeg4 perhaps)? If so, What players are running these?

If the answer is to use a Home PC, what is recommended? I already run a P4 3.2Ghz with 1GB RAM but am considering building a twin processor (Xeon or Opteron) Machine. Can anyone recommend a purpose designed machine with special video Card perhaps?

Finally, Euro 1080. Does this broadcast anything worth watching for a sensible portion of the day?

As you can see, I am about to take the plunge but need a bit more information first.

Best regards, Gerald. :)

2. Brian Hussey

Brian Hussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Gerald,
    There is a very useful supplement with the April issue of ' Home Cinema ', published by the makers of WHAT HI-FI, which addresses many of the questions you pose.

Brian.

3. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    But for everybody elses benefit here we go:

Hi def material is available to download off of the web, and also to purchase, these are written to a normal dvd using WMV and are only playable on a PC. The spec you quote should be sufficient to play back without any dropped frames, but if you want to throw more hardware at it, be our guest :)

You get it to the panel through a DVI connected display and graphics card, ensuring that you get the resolution set correctly for your display.

Euro 1080 broadcasts mainly a rolling loop of demo material during the day, the main broadcasting begins in the evening, not sure what time. Take a peek at their web site if you want more information on what's being aired:

http://www.euro1080.com/
    and
    http://www.hd-1.tv/

Many people here know a lot more than listed here, but hopefully this will serve as a start.

4. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ahin, You mention that HD material (normally WMV-HD) is available for purchase on DVD. Is there anybody that sells this in the U.K. for playback on UK PCs ? I've seen a number of threads that say that it can only be played on a PC with an internet connection in the U.S. or Canada.

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Matt,

You can purchase the IMAX WMVHD discs from www.amazon.com or www.playusa.com These discs don't have "phone home" DRM - which is nice! Hope this helps.

Steve

6. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks, I assume that this means they're not available in the UK, and the only way is to order them from the U.S. without the phone home restriction. Is there anyway of telling which DVDs don't have the restriction ?

7. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Dont forget D-VHS (aka D-Theater) ?

Take a look at CRT Projectors, NG03 or good old ebay ?

Got one & its stunning !

:smashin:

8. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Matt,

As far as I'm aware, all of the 2-disc IMAX WMVHD titles are "phone home DRM" free. The only titles I know that do, are T2 and Step Into Liquid. Hope this helps.

Steve

9. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    There's also a German company that does WMV-HD discs of various movie titles though I can't remember what the site it. Stuff like Underworld etc are available.