high treble? whats the cheapest way to get high sounding treble?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by shawn, Sep 20, 2004.

1. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    whats the best way to upgrade your excisting speakers on a budget?

im not satisfied with the treble on my powerforce 2000 floorstanding speakers.

i was thining about buying a diffrent tweeter and a named crossover like kef, and putting it into my powerforce 2000 speakers,

would this work ok?

im not really bothered about bass on my floorstanding speakers as i have a sub and i dont like mid range as ive disconnected the mid range speakers on my floorstanding speakers,

mostly what i want is high treble, so would buying a named tweeter and a named crossover work for what i want as described?

or would i need somethink completly diffrent to get high treble?

my amp is a sony DB940 if that helps,

many thanks.

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Very strange request ,do you have hearing problems? No midrange just too much trebble and bass , have you tried turning the trebble up on the amp?Instead of messing about with your speakers i would try and find some bright sounding cheap speakers.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This must be the strangest request that I have come across. Whilst most of us are striving to obtain the most accurate reproduction of sound that we can, your aim seems to be something quite different. I assume that you are using your speakers for some other purpose than music or film reproduction.

I don't suppose that anyone here will know what a powerforce 2000 speaker with a disconnected mid range driver and a KEF tweeter would sound like so I don't expect you to receive a definitive answer.

As Bob said, your best and most cost effective route might be to buy another pair of speakers who's overall sound is more to your liking to start with.

4. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

The best way I would do it is to go to a shop like Galons in London who sell PA, DJ and concert equipment and spare drivers and purchase a couple of peizo tweeters which are all of about £6 each and create a rediculas amount of treble and are pretty hard to blow. You can also buy more expensive ones with flared horns from £9 and up, they are all generally 100watts and work basically due to a crystal inside vibrating rather than a voice coil which is why they are very robust. You are more likely to turn the treble down before they blow as the sound they produce is pretty harsh.

Due to it being a crystal, not voice coil, they don't really have an impedance! so you can add it to you speaker system i.e. stick it on top of your speaker or replace your existing tweeter. What ever you do, the peizo will match the impedance of the speaker, which is why you sometimes see up to ten of them in a DJ's disco speakers :eek:

I hope this helps

Regards

5. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    well to be honest i only have some acoustic solutions speakers, ( my fronts) they are the powerforce 2000, [​IMG]

i looked on the back and it says: frequency range: 45 kz - 20 khz, if that helps.

i dissconected the mid speaker as i sounds kind of tinny, and have never liked the mid range, i suppose the cheapest way would be to buy a diffrent pair of speakers i know.

but i was wondering if i used a quallty crossover like kef/b&w etc then i would of though the sound would be alot better concidering its a quality crossover, then maybe change the tweeter too.

at the end of the day im just not happy with the top end quality,
    even when my amp treble is on full.

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    shawn, how much did the speakers cost?

The trouble with taking a KEF or B&W x-over is that they would be designed for their drivers, in their boxes. AFAIK these manufacturers don't produce standalone crossovers for use in DIY projects, they certainly don't sell their drivers on their own (except for some custom install solutions from KEF, not what they use in their Qseries for example).

If you are that unhappy with the sound of these speakers it might be worth getting some different ones, if you want to try the DIY route then have a look at www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk and www.diyaudio.com for some info.

HTH
    Owain

7. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

If you buy some Kef Xovers for your speakers, you may end up blowing you drivers as the Xover points on the Xover will be different to your drivers. i.e. The Xover point on your tweeters is likely to be 5,000Hz on something like a 6dB slope from a capacitor, Yet Kef will use caps and coils to make the slope 12dB or 18dB and their tweeters will go down to 2,500Hz or at least 3,300Hz which will kill your tweeters. The only way you are likely to get hold of a Kef Xover is getting a second hand pair of KEF KAR KX3's, the only problem is that Kef haven't made car audio for a couple of years now which is why I mention second hand. If you get hold of a pair of after market Xovers, you will have to make sure they are at the right Xover point otherwise you will be replacing all the drivers in your speaker cabinets.

I hope this helps.