High Street Shops, what gives?

Chrispyphillips

Novice Member
Right, I thought it may have been the initial rush to get pre-orders, and hysteria of GTA4 out of the way before High Street stores started advertising/preordering Rock Band, but after finally venturing into town yesterday, no shop, has any sign that the game is even to be released! Not even HMV are advertising it now!!!! :mad:

I'm sick of asking the Gamestation kids by me what the plans are, and have had no reply to an email I sent their head office a fortnight ago! I cant believe this game is released in just over 2 weeks, and not one shop in Swansea has any such info regarding its release! Am I the only one who finds this slightly mental? I know some places are still trying to deal with the influx of GTA orders, and wii fit was only released a few days before it, but come on. 2 weeks to get a preorder in, and thats only if news is released this friday, which from what i've witnessed so far, is unlikely.

The price may be high, ruling a large number of casual gamers out of buying it, but I'm assuming the worst, and that is that places arent even given an allocation of units yet, cos the Chinese sweatshops are still trying their best to crack the instruments together to be shipped at the end of next week/beginning of release week. I'm really struggling to find a reason why the leading high street stores arent giving any info about this!

What I wanna know is, are there any Game/Gamestation employees on these boards who are able to shed some light on this for us? I've got so many things I wanna try sorting (pre-ordering the game, as well as trying to swap the packaged wired for a wireless guitar) and the time I have to do this is very seriously running out! Any help/knowledge/info would be appreciated!

Cheers! :smashin:

akane_1984

I work p/t for GAME and I've had to pre-order with play.com because my boss told me stores won't be stocking the game or peripherals.

Chrispyphillips

Novice Member
Thats what I'm afraid of akane! There doesnt seem to be a massive amount of Guitar Hero games at some shops (unless they keep them out the back!) but the lack of enthusiasm from shops over this is a bit annoying!

Its reasons like this why I dont shop in holes like Game/-station as it is!

akane_1984

Thats what I'm afraid of akane! There doesnt seem to be a massive amount of Guitar Hero games at some shops (unless they keep them out the back!) but the lack of enthusiasm from shops over this is a bit annoying!

Its reasons like this why I dont shop in holes like Game/-station as it is!
I can't say anything bad about GAME only been there since Sept 07, but yes our store keeps the GH our the back but there isn't many of them. My boss knew I was looking forward to Rock Band so he had a good laugh when he told me they wouldnt be stocking even the solus game.

Its partly because the kit is too big to ship to stores and stores wouldn't have the room to store them and secondly because I believe there is an ongoing problem at the moment between GAME and EA. The store I work in only got three copies of Command & Conquer Kanes Wrath I had to snap one up quickly.

Chrispyphillips

Novice Member
Thought it might be because of the storage, and problems! All a bit childish if you ask me, but thats politics! :thumbsdow

How annoying, I got rid of all my old games, raised £180 in credit, and now, it looks like I probably wont be able to get it from gamestation cos they wont even bother selling it from their stores! Landed!

Anyone want £180 GS vouchers for £150?

Chrispyphillips

Novice Member
If I decide to sell it I will, but the Mrs wants a Wii!! So the £180 conviniently covers the cost of that! Never mind my monetarial plights, as long as she can fake bowl!! :rolleyes:

Quite annoyed now! Still got my BiaB preorder with play, so worst comes to worse, I get it from there, then get the game elsewhere, but how annoying is this!?:mad:

PlexShaw

I agree that the lack of advertising etc is a bit worrying. I did see some in HMV the other day though, so clearly some places are taking pre-orders and the like.

I've pre-ordered the game from a local indie retailer (who told me they have an excellent relationship with EA). I've even put down a deposit for the pack with them. Fingers crossed...

BraveTyger

Novice Member
I asked at my local GAME in Nottingham about 'Rock Band' about a week and a half ago. The staff there seemed to think that they should be stocking the solus game but probably not the instruments, although 'head office' were in discussions regarding a deal to sell the whole pack at a better price, so ask again in a few weeks time...

This lack of interest in 'Rock Band' in the high-street stores does seem strange, especially as Guitar Hero seems to be even more popular now than a year ago, and Singstar goes from strength to strength (HMV in particular now seem to devote large sections of aisle space to both games).

Also, regardless of any rumoured falling out between EA and GAME, considering that Microsoft probably spent a fair amount of money securing 'Rock Band' as a very short term exclusive, you'd think that they would be keen to make sure the game is on display and selling on the high street

What's the point of promoting a game like 'Rock Band' that might appeal to the Wii-loving 'casual' gaming market if it can't be bought 'casually' from a shop? Bizarre... :rolleyes:

Chrispyphillips

Novice Member
Completely agree Tyger, however your comment...

BraveTyger said:
so ask again in a few weeks time...
...perplexes me, as the game is released in 2 weeks! So as the title says, what gives? Do we have to ask them about it the Thursday before the game is released? Its ridiculous! Captain Speedy it seems has ordered from Gamestation, although not sure how or where. Speedy, if you read this thread, any chance of an expo please mate!? :smashin:

Jay

Banned
Cheers new era, but the thread is about 'High Street Shops' as is suggested in the title! Plenty of places are stocking this online, but not many openly in store!
I know but someone mentioned that Game won't be stocking due to problems with EA, if that was the case they wouldn't stock it online either.

Game near me are getting the game in.

Andy58

Good points here guys. In my opinion Rock Band is probably a logisitcal nightmare for High Street Stores. The BiaB is BIG, even a small number of them is going to take up a lot of precious storeroom space and the price and subsequent negative feedback may have prompted some Head Offices to plan a low key release (i.e let customers pre-order for in store collection only,).

As Tyger said, I'm surprised MS aren't making more of the timed exclusive. Then again GTA 4 is obviously the main focus and has only been in shops 8 days. GTA and the exclusive |DLC| are system sellers, Rock Band isn't necessarily and there's only so much marketing they can do...

Chrispyphillips

Novice Member
Well I'm gonna march into my Gamestation tomorrow, stand at the counter, and bellow "WHAT GIVES?" at the top of my lungs! Then, walk out, realise I havent actually asked what gives, then walk back in and ask what the dealio is with the Rock Band release (or lack of)

Then, if they dont provide me with anything positive to go on, I'll flick them the V
and buy a wii with my vouchers!! Haha!

shagaboopon

Good points here guys. In my opinion Rock Band is probably a logisitcal nightmare for High Street Stores. The BiaB is BIG, even a small number of them is going to take up a lot of precious storeroom space and the price and subsequent negative feedback may have prompted some Head Offices to plan a low key release (i.e let customers pre-order for in store collection only,).

As Tyger said, I'm surprised MS aren't making more of the timed exclusive. Then again GTA 4 is obviously the main focus and has only been in shops 8 days. GTA and the exclusive |DLC| are system sellers, Rock Band isn't necessarily and there's only so much marketing they can do...
Its typical of Microsoft to shoot themselves in the foot by paying for a timed exclusive then not publicising it in anyway. I really wish they would learn some of Sony's marketing tricks (apart from the bad ones, although thats not for this debate).

Smudge Mouse

I had a wander around the local high street, but I've yet to see any prominant advertising yet. Having said that, I can't remember noticing GHII being advertised heavily, I only got it from word of mouth. Perhaps they intend to replicate this.

weaponx_uk2003

I thought it was a bit odd when I went in game on saturday as there was no pre order boxes and its not even mentioned on the front page of their web site.

I am just hoping Play.com send it out on time otherwise me and my son will be going under.

Chrispyphillips

Novice Member
I thought it was a bit odd when I went in game on saturday as there was no pre order boxes and its not even mentioned on the front page of their web site.

I am just hoping Play.com send it out on time otherwise me and my son will be going under.
going under? They havent got the game in Australia yet! :D

I'm flabbergastered (remember that word) at the lack of advertising this game is receiving in the run up to its release! I've completely given up on High Street now! Whereas it would cost £180 there, I can get the set online for £130! So they can stick it. I'm waiting for MGS4 and Dual Shock 3 controllers in the new PS3 SKU's to use my high street vouchers!

akane_1984

well I was in Belfast city centre Saturday and as I work part-time for Game I seen no pre-order information/boxes in any GAME store in town but at gamestop and zahvi they had Rock Band all over the windows!

silvercue

Distinguished Member
GAME will sell the solus game, no doubt.

However, I can see why they don't sell Biab - it is simply too big to store, espacially if you equate stock space to margin - it simply isnt viable in their small stores.

The other reason i beleive they are not stocking it is because the very high failure rate of the peripherlas would mean that they would have to swap them all the time. I have taken quite a few 360s back - even out of warranty and, if you know what to say, they have to change them. People are not so quick to send things back when purchased online because you usually get stitched for shipping and have to wait weeks.

This is hassle the high street stores really don't need, so maybe they have got a bit shy.

artois

Novice Member
My GAME store were taking pre orders for BIB last friday when I asked. They werent taking any more for solus though as they had sold out their allocation.

Would have been delighted to have got the instruments for full RRP without any game. No thanks!!

BAN5HEE

Went into our local HMV yesterday and they had a whole shelf dedicated to Rockband with loads of release info and the game boxes. The time is almost upon us!