1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High street shops APPALLING lack of knowledge

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by richc, Feb 22, 2004.

1. richc

richc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a camcorder after thinking about it for a long time, and although I have been into sound/music recording for a long time, I know absolutely NOTHING about camcorders.

I have been totally gobsmacked by the total lack of any knowledge that high street shop staff have (you know the places I mean). I really needed a bit of guidance, which I got out of a few magazines, but when I asked the most basic technical questions I got answers that were plain wrong. Either that or the staff were just too lazy to help. After reading a couple of magazines I had encyopaedic knowledge compared to the shop assistants, and I admit, I know nothing.

Now, this might just show how stupid I am, but I was under the impression that if a camcorder had a 'megapixel ccd' it WOULD make the video picture better quality. I was told this did not have any effect on the picture. I was told that a USB port was a firewire port, that a firewire cable would come in the box (!!!), and all these kind of really basic things that as far as I know are totally inaccurate.

Has anyone actually ever had a good experience with a high street retailer? I went to several places and got it all wrong. Should have bought online I suppose.

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    One of my favourite past times is to stroll around Dixons/Currys/Comet etc and listen to the crap that the sales assistants reel off to customers.

If I am feeling particularly impish, I will ask for some details on a product and try and keep a straight face at some of the answers. It is really interesting when the assistant absolutely insists that he is correct, and I am mistaken.

I think the sheds (not just AV retailers) are the 'McDonalds' of the retail trade!

I'm sure I was once asked if I wanted fries with my TV.
    :eek:

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Ahh yes, seeking advice on AV gear in Currys/Dixons can be fun.
    The dumber you appear, the funnier it can be!

Electrical goods these days are so complex and varied that I can forgive a little confusion. But when they make stuff up they deserve to be humilliated.
    I usually try to look dumb and impressed for a while, then throw in a really technical question unexpectedly to catch them out!

4. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Indeed.

When I bought our washer/dryer from Empire Electro the woman sales assistant told me it was best connected to the water outlet via a scart lead. When I asked her if it was RGB compatible then, she said no, as it was recommended to use Daz.:D

5. Frenchie

Frenchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Megapixel CCD' is a Sony term, no?
    It means 1 megapixel for pictures, not videos.

6. Frenchie

Frenchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been trying to shop at:
    - PC World
    - Dixons/Curry
    - Sony stores
    - Richer Sounds

I have never met a salesperson who could help me.

PC World: I bought a few times in their shop but finished to buy via internet in many cases as their prices are good for high-street store but not as good as internet ones. Many sales persons were nice but not really helpful. Some guys in Business PC World department were more skilled.

Dixons/Currys: These guys have no particular knowledge, but they try to help, which is not bad.

Sony stores: Sometimes arrogant, never skilled or helpful. I asked one time: 'Could you please 'SELL' me this £300 DVD player compared to this £150 DVD player?'
    Answer = 'BASICALLY, the £300 is top of the range.
    They kill the point in favour of high-street shops. I went in their shop to see if I liked the design of my future TV and bought it at EmpireDirect.co.uk.
    Sony stores have the worst prices for Sony products.

Richer Sounds: Very competitive prices. Staff sometimes knowledgeable, but always biaised in favour of 'Richer Sounds brands' (Cambridge Audio...)

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    When TiVo was first released I decided I WANTED one. So the only place you could get them was Curries/Dixons. So in to the local Dixons after finding out about TiVo. Stood beside a large cardboard display about the features od a TiVo. Salesman walks up and asks if he can help.
    'Probably not' I reply, 'I want to buy a TiVo'.
    'Yes sir - do you know what it is?'
    Me being me reply 'it's a video recorder isn't it?'
    I then procede to read off the display a list of features that I ask the salesman about. He answers just about all of them wrong. I still want it so agree to buy and then get asked if I want the extended guarenty because the heads on a video recorder would cost a fortune to replace if they go wrong :confused: - This after we had already discussed the fact that it records to a disk, not tapes.

I now take it as my duty to wind up Dixons sales staff at every Opportunity :devil: if I hear them giving out bad/wrong advise.

Mark.

p.s. asking if the PC had a coffee cup holder worked a real treat for a couple of years! :devil: