High Street Help

horsegun

Standard Member
Reaction score
Afternoon,

After a little help. please. I have been given £800 in high street vouches as part of my commission at work this month. I can only spend these in places such as Dixons, Comet, Currys etc.
I want to buy a 42" plasma and will put up to £700 of my own money into the pot to bring the budget to £1500.00 I have no idea what to go for so any help would be great! Is it worth getting a HD screen? I am unsure when programs will be broadcast using this sytem, if it is not for another 2-3 years then I am not worried about getting one.

Thank you for your time

Mark

sky HD starts next year in theory, but in reality it will be a few years before it's content has built up to decent levels (IMHO), but if you also want Hi def DVD which is not very far away or to get the best from Xbox 360 and PS3 then you want to be looking at HD now.
£1500 though isn't a great budget for HD and it also depends what you are looking for, a screen (with additional amp and surround sound) or a telly with sound and tuner built in.

Hello and thanks for the reply.

I can go a little higher if you think I should go for a HD unit. I have looked at the various high street shops web sites but nothing is standing out to me.

I have a JVC TS66 which I plan to use with the Plasma.

I've just bought a Panny lo def for the reasons you originally stated. Hi Def in reality is some time off, except as our friend said if you're a console person. £ 1500 buys a great Panasonic Lo Def or a mediocre Hi Def I personally think. If you stick with 37£ you could go for the Panny PV500 Hi Def, but you'd have to stretch your budget.

horsegun said:
Hello and thanks for the reply.

I can go a little higher if you think I should go for a HD unit. I have looked at the various high street shops web sites but nothing is standing out to me.

I have a JVC TS66 which I plan to use with the Plasma.

It's really up to you. If you don't mind buying another screen in say 3 years anuvid is right there are great deals on the panasonic std def screens (i currently have these and they are excellent)...but maybe not in dixons & co.

Actually I think Dixons or Currys do what they call a Panasonic TH42PE40 which is in fact the TH42PE50 but copletely in silver instead of silver and black.

Sorry me again. I am arguing with myself. What about it I just saved the vouchers and used them for something else and bought a Plasma from a cheaper internet site. No point spending £700 using vouchers if the units are £500 more expensive than I can buy them online for.

well if you can do that do some research on here as you will have more options withregard to screens and suppliers....it's all here somwhere. Is your JVC thingy an all in one dvd / surround sound job? and do you have speakers already?

I am near Bath in the west country. I guess that I should be able to hook Sky up through my dvd sound system?

assuming your sound system has a spare optical input yes (or if it has a spare coax input you can get an optical to coax converter for about £15). You could also go in using the red / white stereo cables just means you wont get Dolby Digital 5.1 on the 3 sky movie channels that have it.

horsegun said:
I am near Bath in the west country. I guess that I should be able to hook Sky up through my dvd sound system?

Yes, even in the West country you can do this! :D

Definitely look at the special offers section of this forum and see the deals on the Panasonic panels, they are very tempting.

A mate was in the same position as you, he had those vouchers, £800 worth, however the cheapesr Panasonic PE50 was £1700 that he could get from that store list and in the end he ordered online for £1149 and used the vouchers for something else.

We have only just got electricity in the west country, when people see my new plasma they will think it is witch craft!

Thanks for all the replys, I am looking through all the offers now. Very tempted to go for a pwd7....

Haha.

Yeah, the PW7 is a very good screen.

Just seen Empire direct doing the Panasonic TH42PE50CAB with the cabinet for £ 1595 inc which is an excellent price if you want the cabinet. The cabinet's normally £ 399

SS Electrical doing it slightly cheaper at £1,552.22 (free delivery). :thumbsup:

Edit: Just read the whole thread and it's the PWD7/8 being mentioned not the PE50. As mentioned above, the AV-Sales deal seems your best bet for that.

Thanks.

I am now pretty sure I will go for a Hitachi 42PD7200 as Comet sell them for £1950.00, if I use my vouchers I can can get the unit for £1250 which seems good for a HD ready screen with some very good reviews. If the 42PD6600 comes on sale again at Currys for £1595 then I will go for that.

Afternoon,

Ordered a TH-42PWD8 from www.progressive-av.co.uk today (who were very helpful). Decided to ignore all the fancy gimmicks from the likes of Hitachi etc and follow the advice from the people on here living with their screens in the real world. Was going round and round in circles but think I have done the right thing. It should arrive tomorrow :)

Now have to figure out what to waste the £700 worth of vouchers I have on....

Thanks for all the help.

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom