Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

High St/on-line Printing, Any Good?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Kevo, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Does anyone have any experience with a High St or online company as regards photo prints?

Are any better than others?

What kind of printers do they use?

I notice Max Spielman do 80 pics @ 6x4 for 8p each, which seems pretty good.

I would assume I would get better results than I could produce on my old Epson 740 (or for any average inkjet printer for that matter?) from photso taken with my Nikon D70.

Mainly my photos are 2240x1488 res (3:2, 6x4 ratio approx), but what if i've cropped some slightly and are in a different ratio?
    Will they print them at an adjusted (maintained) aspect ratio or stretch (distort) to 6x4 reagrdless?

2. MattB1

MattB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always used a local place and the results have always been excellent. They are much better than you'd get with an Epson 740 not just because of the quality of printer they use but the paper as well. You can get photo printers that will challenge professionals for quality but to get these results at home it would cost you much more in terms of ink costs and good photo paper.

If the ratio's of your photo's aren't the same as the prints you want most places who do cheap bulk prints will just crop. This can be annoying because you do occasionally get pics back with tops of heads sliced. Some places may look at the pics first and decide the best way to crop them but in my experience these are the minority. You are better either cropping them yourself first or keeping the subject in the pic from being too close to the edge.

Matt.

3. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +441
    I use this company all the time now http://www.photobox.co.uk/.
    I've been really happy with the quality of the prints so far and I must have received over 500 prints from them. Most, if not all of your questions are answered in the Quality Advice section. You can get prints for as little as 7p each but you have to buy a lot of print credits first (800 at £56.).
    Anyway, browse around their site and give them a go. You don't have to spend much initially just to try them out.

4. mr jones

mr jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    i agree with bowenjones, photobox for me.

they allow you to set up the crop etc of the images if required, which is grand :D

5. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using www.bonusprint.co.uk lately which is very good. You can download a bit of their software which will allow you to mix and match the size of photos you want in the same order, send your photo's off electronically, pay by credit card and a few days later your prints arrive on your doorstep.

The software also lets you choose whether to have your images printed with borders or trimmed if they don't quite match the ratio of the prints you are ordering. Oh, and it will give you a warning if the resolution isn't high enough for the size of prints you are ordering. They do traditional size photo's and digital sizes. All in all, I would recommend this service to anyone and it's really easy to use.

I think they're a little more expensive than the others but take a look and see what you think.

6. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for Bonusprint here.

Also highly reccomend a very basic freeware program that lets you crop in the right aspect ratio for printing (various sizes or your own) and then saves the cropped part of the jpeg with no losses - it does not reprocess the image just saves the bit you want as is. Available here

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,482
    Before buying a printer I used photobox and they were excellent for me :)

8. priceless

priceless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for photobox.co.uk here, Great prints, fast delivery and an easy online upload facility and plenty of storage... If you buy a pre-pay block the prices come right down..

Big thumbs up...

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Thanks for all the replies.

HERE'S
    an interesting indepth review/group test of several on-line printing services, with a few of those mentioned here.

Peak Imaging seem to come out tops, Bonusprint faired OK whilst Photobox has got worse (quality wise) over time!

Tesco also faired well.

I'm horrorfied that a lot of them add software enhancements to your photographs :eek:
    Isn't there an option in the software to decline this part of the service?

Has anyone actually took their pics into a Clone (High) St shop?
    What options do they offer you there regarsing cropping, enhancements etc?

10. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Ofoto. Its owned an run by Kodak, legendry in its experience and knowedge of photography.

You upload to your own galleries/account. There is the old chestnut of ccd images being 4:3 ratio where traditional photos are 3:2. Best to crop/edit at home before uploading.
    6x4 are cheap with just 99p postage per any number of prints.

I am very happy with the quality. Its practicaly archival quality for one and they use the best print equipment, of course!
    I found through experience that buying the cheapest home printer and decent photo paper, you can print at home, but this is still expensive compared to online printing imho.
    Couple that with if you have not calibrated a profile for your monitor, use a reconised adobe profile and calibrated printer profile, home printing is a lottery :thumbsdow

I am a convert to ofoto and online printing. I am so happy with the service I stick with it. I used Sony Print Service previously: slow and expensive :thumbsdow

I I didnt have mono letters to write, i would ditch the printer altogether.