1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

high speed usb

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by jb 1, Aug 7, 2002.

1. jb 1

jb 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there any one out there using this at the moment i was going to buy a fire wire when i saw an article claiming the usb2.0 is a lot faster than ieee 1394 an incredible 480mbps.
    so what do i buy???
    i am the new boy here im not a tech head all i want to do is put the footage of our holidays onto disc' so some advice would be great.
    thanks john

2. altruist

altruist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,
    USB 2.0 is the new technology of high speed transfer to compete with Firewire (IEEE 1394). But unfortunately, the sony list of camcorders still come with the standard IEEE 1394 port for the video transfer and USB port for still transfers.
    So I guess you would have to go for Firewire card (for your PC, if you don't have one) and a fire wire cable. usually the firewire cards come packed with softwares like ULEAD etc. which help you to edit your videos too.
    Once you edit (using either sony's MGI video Suite or one of the softwares that the cards come with) you will have to burn them into CD. FOr this purpose you need to conver your DV footage to MPEG1 or MPEG2 format. You need further MPEG encoders. I have no memory right now, but one of the threads in this forum has the details about them. You can refer there.
    Good luck and enjoy the process of movie making.
    Bye
    Arul