1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Speed Dubbing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davet010, Sep 24, 2004.

1. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm thinking of buying a HDD/DVD model (prob Panasonic e85 or e95), mainly so that I can dub things onto disk at higher speeds.

Am I right in thinking that the disk copies won't maintain 16:9 ration unless done at 1:1 speed ?

2. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sort of. From what I've been able to work out, the E-85 has two settings when recording: one regular, one that enables hi-speed dubbing. Only the former retains the widescreen tag. You can only do hi-speed dubbing to DVD-R or DVD-RAM if you make the original recording for the latter, so you lose the 16:9 setting both on the hard disc copy and any DVDs you subsequently burn.

I now record everything without the hi-speed option as scrolling through the TV remote display settings for 16:9 infuriates the missus! It also means that my DVD-Rs play in the right ratio on my old DVD player in the bedroom on a 4:3 portable.

3. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    So I can still alter the TV to 16:9 ? Do the recordings look stretched or normal ?

thanks

DT

4. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Nialli has stated (with some manufacturers, eg. Panasonic) the widescreen flag isn’t recorded during a high speed dub to DVD-R. If you have a widescreen TV (and you’re not Nialli’s missus!) then it shouldn’t be too much of a problem to switch it to 16:9 manually and the picture will appear normal.

However, if you have a standard 4:3 TV (without an anamorphic mode) then there could be a problem with widescreen material from the E85/95 as DVD players won’t automatically letterbox it and the picture will be stretched vertically.

Other manufacturers such as Toshiba do record the flag.

5. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a standard 4:3 television and have never encountered this problem with my E85.

6. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You haven’t elaborated, but maybe you only dub in real-time? What we’re saying is that if you dub in high speed mode on the Panasonics then the widescreen flag is not set on DVD-R (unlike DVD-RAM). This means that equipment used to replay the video cannot distinguish between a 4:3 picture carrying a 16:9 anamorphic image and one carrying an image with a standard 4:3 aspect ratio. Hence for a widescreen recording the picture will appear stretched vertically on a 4:3 TV unless your DVD player or your TV allows you to manually override it and produce a letterbox image with black bars top & bottom.

7. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I never dub in real time if I can avoid it, so always tend to use high speed dubbing. When I dub a widescreen programme to DVD-R it plays back fine on my 4:3 television. The television doesn't offer the choice to override any signals, I just use the settings on the DVD player.

8. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you’re not changing any setting on the player but it somehow ‘knows’ the difference between a 4:3 frame intended to be shown 4:3 and one intended to be shown 16:9 (but still flagged as 4:3). Apparently your player is psychic :eek: Well you’ve got me stumped for the moment :confused: …….Anyone?

9. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry, I guess my original question was unclear. I have a widescreen TV, and my question was whether a recording would retain the appropriate aspect if you use high speed dubbing.

10. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have a widescreen TV so there's no problem as long as you don't mind manually setting it to "wide" mode (or the equivalent).