High Speed Dubbing on DMR-E500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JeffHNZ, May 30, 2005.

1. JeffHNZ

JeffHNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

Last night when I tried to Dub in High Speed for the first time to DVD-R.
    The recorder told me the option wasn't available. I didn't have the High Speed dubbing turned on in the Menu settings, which is obvious, however more questions:

1. I think I read somewhere that High speed dubbing will only work for titles recordered when the high speed setting is or was set to on. Other titles (that were recorded with the high speed seeting off) will not dub in high speed. Therefore you could have titles on your recorder that may or may not record in High Speed. Is this true, what is the situation here please?

2. The manual also seems to say that High speed dubbing won't work for titles that contain many erased segments. I perform Partial Erases allot to remove adverts etc. Does this mean they won't dub in High speed either?

3. Also manual says it won't work when recording titles that have a variety of recording modes so if I have two titles, one in SP and another two in LP can I dub at High speed, the manual suggests not, what is the story?

4. Does the quality really change when recording to DVD-R as implied. There seems to be a suggestion that this can occur.

5. Lastly are there any major/minor problems with using High Speed Recording, what are the advantages and disadvantages people have found? What do you lose or gain by using this mode/feature? Widescreen appears to have a problem too.

You help is truly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff.

2. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Major plus point of high speed dubbing to DVD-R is that chapter points are retained.

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I read the following on page 20 of the UK spec manual.
    Does that imply all material recorded in 16:9 will be converted to 4:3 when using high speed dubbing? :confused: Certainly reads that way to me. :( For that reason I haven't played around with high speed dubbing to DVD-R's.

S.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    All it actually mean is that it does not record the widescreen flag that tells the television or display to change to 16:9 aspect ratio. All you need to do is manually change the aspect ration on the television to 16:9 and you then get a proper 16:9 picture.

5. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Ahh, Thanks for clearing that one up :) :thumbsup:

Nice one.

S.

6. JeffHNZ

JeffHNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

- I have confirmed that High Speed needs to be on before the actual recording happens.
    - Widescreen Issue understood and confirmed.

My biggest question is surrounding the quality and what to use when dubbing.
    I have to date been recording to HDD in LP because playback of TV material etc has been fine.

However I was told that if I record to DVD in LP there is likely to be further quality loss. There are many options here - FR, SP, LP and XP. What is the best mode to use to get the most onto a Disk. Help Please! How does this work...