High speed dubbing from disk drive to HDD is it possible?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tim Douglas, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Tim Douglas

Tim Douglas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Forumites could you help me please?

I've been researching the Panasonic DMR EH 50 The owners manual any transfer must be done in real time (though of course there is High speed dubbing from HDD to disk)

and the Toshiba RDXS34 SB ,which is ambiguous about it! In a chart, it implies you can do it ,but in the more detailed instructions it says it must be a real time transfer?

This sample of two machines with HD would seem to indicate it's not possible!

So,
    is there any make or model of DVD recoderthat allows high speed dubbing from a DVD-R Disc drive to hard drive in the following cases ?

) 1) From a finalised DVD-Rdisk
    2) From an unfinalised DVD-R disk (neither owners manual mentions this at all)

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    It is possible to high speed dub from disc to the hdd on the Panasonic. I have done it with RAM discs. I don't know about DVD-R's. The only time when dubbing has to be done in real time is when using the FR mode or convert from one recording mode to another (SP to LP for example).

3. Tim Douglas

Tim Douglas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks You've just highlighted a fault in my question I meantfrom DVD-r to HDD I have amended the original question I realised from the tables in the manuals that it is possble from a RAM disk but I already have a large archive recorded on DVD-r (on a Panasonic machine)and rarely use RAMdisks for day to day archiving

but thanks for replying I appreciate it.

Tim

4. Tocsin

Tocsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic - definitely can't high speed dub from a finalised -R, but not sure about it if un-finalised (tend to dub and finalise in one session).

5. wesd

wesd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've recently bought a toshiba rdx34 and I noticed that the on-screen menu for high-speed dubbing allows transfers from dvd to hdd. There was a dvd-r in the drive while I was working through the menus so I assume that it recognized this and didn't assume I wanted to dub from dvd-ram.

I haven't tried it yet but I'll give a go tonight and let you know.

6. wesd

wesd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK, I tried to dub from dvd-r to hdd last night. It worked ok but the transfer took 30 minutes which isn't what I would call 'high speed'. It wasn't real time (the recorded film was about 90 minutes long) but it was slower than dubbing from hdd to dvd. I would have expected the opposite since writing to a dvd is always going to be slower than writing to hdd.

The dvd had been finalized and had been recorded on the same machine. I don't know about unfinalized dvds but I noticed in the manual that you can't use high speed dubbing from dvd to hdd if the dvd has been recorded on a different machine (by which I assume it means a different brand of recorder). The only dvd-r disks I have were all recorded on the same machine so I can't test this.

Hope this helps.

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    That is high speed for that recorder. It is several years now and dubbing speed has increased since then.

XP = 2x
    SP = 4x
    LP = 8x

8. Tim Douglas

Tim Douglas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much ! I appreciate your taking the time to do that experiment That was exactly the sort of information I was after! Interesting that it does dub faster than real time, but not as fast as one might expect seeing as it does do it But tieing up Your machine for thirty mins is better than tieing it up for ninety !¬Obviously ,if one is trying to make a copy of a disk and the machine only does real time transfer in this direction then there is little advantage in transfering it to the HDD in real time and then back to a new disk with a high speeed dub over puting it in a simple DVD player connected to your DVD recorder and still doing it in real time (unless you want to insert chapters etc of course) At least with your machine this process can be speeded up by 66%! Thanks again I do appreciate it!

Tim

9. honza.g

honza.g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic E85 cannot dub from any DVD-R (finalized or not) to HDD by any methods (high-speed or re-playing SP->SP/LP ... whatever). You can put films on the internal HDD via these ways only:
    - recording from internal TV tuner
    - recording from external socket (e.g. from another player, camcorder, PC)
    - dubbing from DVD-RAM disk

The last one has another condition - the format of date (files and directories) must be pretty same as the Panny makes (when recording or dubbing to the DVD-RAM disk). I tried to simulate it when I copied some MPEG2 files from PC but it seems to need more knowledge and suitable tools (some Nero extentionS ?).