High Speed Dubbing EH50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Oldjim, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Oldjim

Oldjim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand the procedure specified by Panasonic - can you someone explain.
    In the manual for the EH50 it states that for high speed dubbing "Rec for high speed dubbing" must be on before recording to the HDD.
    What does this do and is there any reason why all recordings shouldn't be made that way.

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Panasonic have an option on their HDD recorders called "DVD-R Rec for High Speed mode" which can be set On or Off. The default is Off but most people probably want it On. The main thing to be aware of is that the the option must be on when you make a recording if you want to be able to high speed dub the recording to DVD-R later on. The option setting is irrelevant when you actually do the dub.

The main reason you might not want the option set to On is that for some unknown reason Panasonic (and other makes too I think) do not record the widescreen flag when high speed dubbing to DVD-R.

Sadly Panasonic do not provide the option on their non-HDD models, so all recordings made on DVD-RAM on non-HDD models cannot be high speed dubbed if transferred later on to an HDD model.

I cannot understand why they have not dispensed with this unnecessary and confusing restriction, and allowed high speed dubbing by default (with recording of the widescreen flag) and just automatically disabled it when it cannot be used (e.g. dubbing playlists with a mixture of recording modes or a mixture of audio types). Perhaps someone with a better understanding of DVD formats can explain why not, but if you can set the widescreen flag later on in a PC, for example, then why not in a standalone recorder?