High Speed Dubbing ( Audio & Video )

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by mccrack, Jul 16, 2004.

1. mccrack

mccrack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any software out there that can be used to erase all content on the DV Tape quickly ?

regards
    ./ronald

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not software but hardware basically a bl***y big magnet, used to be a company making a specific electro-magnetic device which you placed a tape inside - haven't seen one for a while though and can't remember what is was called other than "A Bulk Eraser"

The easiest way is just to put the film in you camera - put a blank lens cap on and cover the microphone and just press record on the camera and leave it for an hour, this would not only erase the old material but would also 'stripe' the tape (a sometimes recommended procedure) ready for it's next use.

3. mccrack

mccrack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol , thanx Beejaycee, although i was trying yo avoid the recording for an hour process! Was that procedure you mentioned called "gaussing" ,performed on a De-Gauser ? I seem to remeber something like that from playing a Leisure Suit Larry game.

;)

./ronald

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    One question really,
    Why do you want to erase the tape?
    I wouln't reuse a tape anyway, they are so cheap to buy new and don't last all that well with multiple recordings.

P.S. You can get bulk-erasers for wiping tape recordings, but they are expensive, and DV tapes need stronger magnetic fields to wipe than a VHS or Video8 would.
    Check it's a model that can wipe newer metal or exaporated tapes.

P.P.S. striping a tape for use in a camera is not a recommended proceedure (other than loonatics!), read my notes in the FAQ at the top of this forum.

6. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yer pays yer money and you makes yer choice.

Many people still recommend stripping a tape and many proffesionals still do it, Many camera manufacturers also recommend this in their instruction manuals, I didn't say you had to do it and in fact I don't but it is none the less a sometimes recommended procedure.

7. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Professionals do not stripe tapes for use in camcorders.
    In serves no use at all.