• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

High Spec Value For Money?

James Fortune

Standard Member
I was at Sevenoaks yesterday and they recommended the Denon DVDS2500 (coupled with a Denon AUR4308A receiver).

What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision mentions the pairing and says they're wonderful but expensive.

It goes on the recommend an alternative of the Sony BDP-S5000ES (coupled with the Sony STR-DA5400ES).

It favourite coupling over £2000 though, is the Pioneer BDP-LX71 (coupled with the Pioneer SC-LX81).

What are your views?

What should I get that represents excellent quality while being good value for money?

(My TV will probably be the Pioneer PDP-LX6090 plasma.)

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I was at Sevenoaks yesterday and they recommended the Denon DVDS2500 (coupled with a Denon AUR4308A receiver).

What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision mentions the pairing and says they're wonderful but expensive.

It goes on the recommend an alternative of the Sony BDP-S5000ES (coupled with the Sony STR-DA5400ES).

It favourite coupling over £2000 though, is the Pioneer BDP-LX71 (coupled with the Pioneer SC-LX81).

What are your views?

What should I get that represents excellent quality while being good value for money?

(My TV will probably be the Pioneer PDP-LX6090 plasma.)

Hi James. :)
All the setups are a good match and will give a great result :smashin: regarding the LX71 though,you can buy the cheaper model Pioneer 51FD which delivers the same perfromance over HDMI.
I guess it comes down to what brand you want really? have the 5000ES myself and it's certainly a very nice player.
All the best.

James Fortune

Standard Member
All the setups are a good match and will give a great result :smashin: regarding the LX71 though,you can buy the cheaper model Pioneer 51FD which delivers the same perfromance over HDMI.
I guess it comes down to what brand you want really? have the 5000ES myself and it's certainly a very nice player.

Hmm ... I don't have a make preference. Is it better to have the same brand for blu-ray and amp?

Is there really NO difference between each of these? They're priced quite differently. :rolleyes:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
There is no benefit in going the same make in terms of performance. Where it might help is that you may be able to use one remote to control both devices (assuming you have not already got a universal remote) which may make things easier.
There are differences between the 51 and 71 but as Kingfats says these do not have an effect when using HDMI only.
Your best bet is to go and audition a few items to see if you prefer a particular one. You may find you prefer the sound from one particular amp but prefer the PQ from a different make of Bluray player. There is then no problem with mixing makes and getting the system you prefer.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Is there really NO difference between each of these? They're priced quite differently. :rolleyes:

With the amps then there's going to be quite a difference between the models,personally i would do some serious research here before making your choice.
The players again will be different,build quality features DVD etc :smashin: plus,check the owners threads to see how feedback is going on the units.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Both the Denon 2500 and the Pioneer LX71 are about to get replaced by newer models, although not like for like. So I would really shop around on those two...

I think there is also a new Denon amp due, the 4310, which may be a 4308 replacement, but apparently has the ABT2010 video processor in it, which can produce excellent results. IF you're feeding more than one video source such as Sky through the amp, it could make a noticeable difference. Paried with say the new Denon 1610 BD player due soon, that might make a very nice combination.

However, I think a demo at this price level is a must.

The Pioneer players are a bit slow and clunky, (I own a 51FD) and reports from the US where the newer players are already on the shelves, seem to indicate that this hasn't changed much. The Pioneers have good PQ IMO, and more flexibility than most for picture settings with 3 user memories, but I would strongly recommend having a play with one first. The new model that would probably interest you most is the LX52.

Both the Pioneers and the new Denon's offer source direct on video, which means they can output directly what's on the disc. If you have decent outboard video processing this can be important as it means the player won't muck up say DVD processing making it harder to sort out later. So, one of these might work very well with the new Denon 4310 if the ABT processing is any good.

The Sony is a slightly different class of player in that it's Sony's current range topper. It has some built in video processing to deliver an enhanced picture, and a well engineered analogue audio output. You need to consider carefully whether you want to use these, otherwise you could pay a lot of money for stuff you never use or need, which would substantially reduce its value rating. It also does not have source direct output. However, from a compatibility perspective, it's probably the most reliable and trouble free.

To throw another combo into the mix, there is another new Denon, the 2010 coming with the ABT processing in the player, which combined with a 4308 might make another interesting combo, but with the ABT processing in-player, things like SkyHD wouldn't benefit.

At this price level it doesn't get easier I'm afraid. By the end of the year your options will have grown wider still...

It might be a good idea to try and narrow down a list of must haves and nice to haves to whittle it down a little more.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom