Quantcast

High signal quality/No signal strength: 'No satellite signal is being received'

Joe Grace

Novice Member
Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks for your help.. I am really struggling here!!

I have set up a second sky box in a separate room from my primary box. I have used a satellite splitter (as seen in the photo): input is dish 1 on the primary box and the outputs go back to dish 1 on the primary box and dish 1 on the secondary box in the separate room.

Channel 998 works and the signal quality is very high, however signal strength is at nothing.

The other photo shows the strength/quality on the TV.

Setting Up Second Sky Box Slideshow by josifgrace | Photobucket
Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Joe.

Stevenage Neil

Satellite splitters do not work if both boxes are powered on, (plugged into the mains), at the same time and are tuned to different polarities/frequency bands. Use separate feeds for both boxes.

"Dual-band LNBs
These will typically have two alternative local oscillator frequencies, for example 9.75 GHz and 10.6 GHz with the higher frequency option selected using a 22 kHz tone injected into the cable. Such an LNB may be used to receive 10.7 - 11.7 GHz using the lower 9.75 GHz LO frequency or the higher band 11.7 - 12.75 GHz using the higher 10.6 GHz LO frequency.

Dual polarisation LNBs
The LNB has one wire going into the waveguide to pick up vertical polarisation. If the input waveguide is circular is can support two polarisations and it can be arranged for there to be two input probes at right angles, thus allowing two alternative polarisations to be selected (vertical or horizontal, or left hand or right hand circular polarisation, LHCP or RHCP), either one or the other. Dual polarisation LNBs may commonly be switched remotely using two alternative DC supply voltages. e.g. 13 volts makes it receive vertical polarisation and 19 volts makes it receive horizontal polarisation."

Last edited:

Joe Grace

Novice Member
So is there no way of making it work? I only want freeview on the second box, does this make a difference?

I don't need to use picture either on the second box - even if it showed the same as the first box - like a magic eye?

Thanks for your response. Joe

Stevenage Neil

For Freeview you do not need a Sky box at all. All you need is a terrestrial aerial and a Freeview TV.

I don't need to use picture either on the second box
I have not a clue as to what that means, sorry.

What do you want on the second TV?

Last edited:

Joe Grace

Novice Member
I have tried a terrestrial aerial and it does not work in my area.

I have read elsewhere that it is possible to watch the same channel on the second TV (and sky box) as what is showing on the first with a satellite splitter?

Joe

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I have read elsewhere that it is possible to watch the same channel on the second TV (and sky box) as what is showing on the first with a satellite splitter?

Joe
You just need to run a coaxial cable from the socket on the Sky box socket marked RF2 out to the remote TV aerial in. Then use the remote TV's analogue tuner to tune in the single analogue station the sky box creates. If you add a magic eye at the remote end you can use your Sky box remote to control the Sky box while watching the remote TV.

Joe Grace

Novice Member
Nightmare case.. I've already bought/ran the cable all the way through the house.. took some time too! Is there anyway to use it?!

Joe.

logiciel

Connect to the machine the second connection that is currently on the present first machine using a connector.
Alternatively fix a new connection to it direct from the dish.

logiciel

A pity not to use the second machine though.

MartinPickering

I have used a satellite splitter (as seen in the photo)
It's definitely not a "satellite splitter". It's clearly labelled "5 - 1000 MHz", so it passes frequencies only up to the top of the UHF band. That's radio + TV but not LNB frequencies, which extend above 2000 MHz.

In addition, as others have stated, even if it did pass LNB frequencies, it can't be used as you wish.

More here: Splitting the LNB feed for Sky+

Trending threads

Top Bottom