• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

High resolution monitors (High dpi)

tryingtimes

Hi all
I absolutely love my WUXGA 17" laptop monitor - it's one of the best monitors of any kind I've ever used.
BUT I need a new desktop monitor and was looking for something of a similar dpi to this so that I it's not a shock when I move between the two.

I haven't found one - most of the WUXGA monitors are 21", I haven't even found a 19" widesceen with 1920x1200 :(

Any ideas?

stevelup

Distinguished Member
They are not cheap but what about the Apple Cinema Displays.

They are absolutely beautiful to look at and are stunningly good monitors too.

20" 1680 x 1050 £549
23" 1920 x 1200 £949
30" 2560 x 1600 £1799 (you need a dual link DVI video card for that one)

Steve

tryingtimes

Hi Steve
I know that they're lovely monitors and the prices are probably worth it, but I've currently got a 17" monitor that does 1920x1200 - so I'd have to go for the 23" which is going to give me a big jump in dpi - My work just wont look the same on each monitor.
I know that most people think that WUXGA on a 17" is too small, but I've got so used to it, that I can't go back :)

tryingtimes said:
Hi Steve
I know that they're lovely monitors and the prices are probably worth it, but I've currently got a 17" monitor that does 1920x1200 - so I'd have to go for the 23" which is going to give me a big jump in dpi - My work just wont look the same on each monitor.
I know that most people think that WUXGA on a 17" is too small, but I've got so used to it, that I can't go back :)

which monitor do you have?

tryingtimes

Nick25 said:
If you can afford it
IBM T221
Viewsonic VP2290b
Both 3840x2400 resolution, 22.2" I assume the same panel.

If only I could afford it - I'd buy something else :D
I could only find a price for the IBM but it's about 15 times my budget :)

They sounds great though

tryingtimes

I'm just bumping this old thread because I'm still looking (have managed with the laptop only thus far, but it's getting old).
Anybody know of one?

mods - please move to the new monitors forum if you prefer.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
There are plenty of 19" 1680x1050 displays out there now but they still wont get near to the DPI of your notebook.

One thing to bear in mind though is that you will almost certainly be sitting further away from a desktop monitor than you are from your notebook which will offset the lower DPI.

Steve

tryingtimes

I hadn't thought about viewing distance. I currently sit with my eyes about 18" from the screen.
It's hard to imagine it being much further, but maybe you're right. What do people tend to view at?

stevelup

Distinguished Member
I've got a 24" iMac (1920x1200) and I sit approximately two feet from it. It is impossible to resolve individual pixels from that distance.

cosmicblue

Hmmm - I've just found this one.
http://www.memory-express.co.uk/ind...A+TFT+LCD+1920+x+1200+VGA/DVI+(Business+Black)
I really like the idea of the swivel portrait mode.
I'm off to look for reviews...

I'm using a Samsung 245B - 24" 1920x1200 LCD monitor - stunning from 2ft away.

Officially the screen doesn't swivel to portraint mode though a German review site shows how to remove a single screw from the stand to re-instate this useful feature,

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130991 £307 and free delivery. Buy it!

tryingtimes

Thanks Cosmic - A bit larger than I wanted, but everything else seems spot on.
I guess a small part of me trusts Samsung more than IMB/Lenovo when it comes to monitors.

cosmicblue

Thanks Cosmic - A bit larger than I wanted, but everything else seems spot on.
I guess a small part of me trusts Samsung more than IMB/Lenovo when it comes to monitors.

I really wish I'd bought one of these before - its predecessor another Samsung (204B 20" 1600x1200 - now used by my wife) is also exceedingly good.

It is the widescreen aspect ratio of the 24" that is so pleasing (beyond the superb screen itself) making it very useful for working on documents with two pages side by side - having several applications open at once each without scroll bars.

I use a KVM switch and share the screen with my office laptop and my gaming PC and the screen is great for both - having a photo as a desktop background is almost like having another window to the outside world in my study.....

BananaTiger

Did anyone go for the Lenovo that tryingtimes pointed out in his link? I'm thinking about getting that or the Hyundai w240d-pva panel. Will be sitting about 2 feet away and it will be used for photo work. Both of these pva panels look very promising.

BananaTiger

Well I decided to go for the Lenovo in the end, and it arrived yesterday. I was worried that running in 1920x1200, the fonts would be too small to read but it's pretty good for me. And the colours straight out of the box are unbelievable. I can see why people recommend this for photo work. I just saw a photo of mine in Flickr with some cherries, and the red was superb. A very happy man! :thumbsup:

tryingtimes

Nice one! Thanks for reporting. Where did you buy it from in the end?
Can you comment on black level please? I've currently got a glossy sony laptop monitor and have been very impressed with the blacks (although using the laptop outdoors is pretty impossible).
Do you think you'll use the landscape/portrait swivelling feature?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom