1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High resolution CRT image quality. Am I losing it?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by billygoat, Nov 3, 2003.

1. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been in the market for a new 32" TV for ages now. I've been looking at the Panny PD30, JVC HV32D25 and the like.

One thing that keeps bugging me is that the cheapo sets always seem to have much better image quality than the expensive ones in the store. I know that the quality of the feed is very important here and that image quality will improve at home. But all the TVs there are connected on the same RF-source, so however bad the feed is, at least the playing field is level.

The other day, I was playing around with a JVC HV28P37. I turned off all digital processing, DNR, ... and returned the screen to its normal aspect ratio, making it virtually identical in size to the cheap 4:3 TV next to it. And still the cheap TV looked better defined and more pleasing than the JVC, which appeared smudgy and was still showing artefacts. And it's like that for all those digitally processing TVs: pixelplus, acuity, DIST, ...

Is this normal? Is this something one is supposed to live with when buying an expensive set? And more importantly: how am I ever supposed to make a good comparison between high-definition sets on RF?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    All the better sets do is show just how crap RF really is. You need to feed them a decent signal source to see what they can really do. Demo the TV's using the source that you will watch most.

3. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd use my set to watch DVDs and RF. There aren't many alternatives in Belgium.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I still use RF for terrestrial TV over here sometimes (also got Digital Satellite as well) but DVD is the main source and what matters most to me. I could live with a duff RF picture provided DVD is excellent but not the other way round!:eek: :D

5. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My primary source is DVD, but my wife watches a lot of RF so it is an important issue. ;)

I understand that a more detailed picture will bring out deficiencies in the source. But what I still fail to comprehend is why I can't seem to make an expensive TV look as good as a cheap TV given the same source signal.