High res displays and picture quality

gangzoom

Distinguished Member
Just got a new laptop today, a 15inch Retina display MacBook Pro. Didn't understand what all the fuss was about in regards to the super high resoultion screen (2880-by-1800)....unitll I fired up Lightroom :eek:!!

I simply cannot believe how much sharper the photos looked, even my wife was stunned. Some photos looked almost like they have been taken with a different camera/lens :smashin:.

The downside was that some previous borderline shots (not quite in focus/bit of blurr) looked much worse :(. Still very very impressed how much difference some extra pixles make on screen....forget 1080pHD TVs, 4K (3840 × 2160) is the future.

One thing that did make me wonder was how much benfit would I have seen from upgrading to a full frame/L class Lens had I stuck to my old laptop (1440x900)...maybe viewing at 100% 1:1 zoom you would be able to tell the pictures are sharper but when veiwing at Full Screen I doubt I would have seen any difference.....

So I wonder, do other people think its worth while upgrading your computer screen resoultion when you upgrade camera/lens to really apperiatece the difference in quality :confused:

Last edited:

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Totally agree with you that higher resolution screens have the capabilities to really show up the weakness of, say, 1080p and lesser resolution screens.

I briefly owned a 27 inch 1440p Korean monitor (identical to the £900 Apple Thunderbolt display screen, albeit with a lesser build quality overall) and the images were stunningly pin sharp and the colour was glorious. It turned out to be impractical for my needs so I had to go back to a 40 inch 1080p LCD TV. One of the members on here now owns it and he's just bought a Nikon camera. He'll definitely enjoy his photographs on it.

I don't know if I'd say it's an essential upgrade but it'd definitely go along with your view that it can offer up a considerably better viewing experience over your standard 1080p and below screens.

Edit - Enjoy your new piece of excellent hardware.

ps When I bought the Korean screen last year you could have 27 inches at 1440p for under £300, which I thought was good value for money compared to the prices Apple wanted for their screens. I opted for the model (Crossover 27Q LED-P) which was considered to have the best overall build quality compared to the other Korean models as it was housed in a metal/plastic construction and not just molded plastic.

blasted

I recently bought the Dell 2713H, its a wide gamut (99% argb) with a 2560x1440 display. Its a fantastic screen and the colours are so much better. I really dont see the point of having a camera and lens that can capture fantastic images only to view them on a lesser quality screen :suicide:

gangzoom

Distinguished Member
I recently bought the Dell 2713H, its a wide gamut (99% argb) with a 2560x1440 display. Its a fantastic screen and the colours are so much better. I really dont see the point of having a camera and lens that can capture fantastic images only to view them on a lesser quality screen :suicide:

Been using the new Retina Macbook Pro for coming up to a week now, couldn't agree with you more!! To think I was considering going FF to get sharper pictuers...Given how sharp and clear even some of the iPhone pictures looks on the new screen I cannot see my self wanting to upgrade my lens for a long time to come....so actually by buying a more expensive laptop/screen am saving money :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom