1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Quality Video Cables for Sources, Projectors and Video Scalers

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nic Rhodes, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I hope this is the right place to post this, it does cross several of the boundries (Projectors, DVD Player, HCPC etc)

I am planning to build or buy some ‘top notch’ video cables for the new arrival. I have made up some leads based on IXOS 9 way flat coax to reasonable quality BNC and S-video connectors. They should be okay and a good standby but I also want to build / or buy at top quality cable. The best I can.

I have contacted AVCables and Better cables in the states as their products are well received in the AVSforum. The Extron cables look excellent also. However for 10m x 5m BNC things start to look expensive, especially with all the shipping. This is only one of the several cables I am likely to need as well. I am willing to pay if I can convince myself they are the best available. For VGA style cable terminations they do look excellent and the best bet.

I have a BNC crimp gun and therefore can make an excellent cable myself (modesty?! Well I hope I can!), though I have never done video before. Any handy hints welcome? I have had done a little search around but I am struggling to get a good source of cable. One dealer has offered something already, but I don’t know what it is. So I am just running blind. He does have a good reputation however. All I know is it is also from Belden and silver in colour! I don’t know which model it is but he is sorting me a price out for almost 60m. I am not trying to source cable cheaper I just want to know what I could get. He is likely to be better informed than I am.

I have identified several Belden cables myself that look interesting, though I haven’t found a good source yet in the UK, though I know from work Belden cables are widely available. I am trawling RS and Farnell but my catalogues are old. Belden offer a flexible 1505a (RG59/U), a stiffer, fatter (and the better?) 8281 (RG59/U). [For the record the Belden 1808a looks an excellent S-Video cable]. I currently favour the 8281 but this is one I haven’t found an easy UK source for yet. If needed, I am not averse to buy a whole reel as I expect there are fellow hobbyists out there who want similar material but would prefer to buy by the m.

I have standard (maplin) RG59U around at home already and I am familiar with the Van Damme 75 Ohm coax cable Maplin and others do but feel the Belden may be better quality. Belden cables I have used in the past are very high quality, and well priced. A far cry from the usual hyped ‘designer audio cables’ that I want to keep away from.

I plan to use, if possible, the Neutrik push pull BNC 75 Ohm crimp connector, crimped with my tool.

Do people have an experience with these cables / help / advice? What do people use?

[This message has been edited by Nic Rhodes (edited 02-04-2001).]

2. Oasis

Oasis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Belden 8281 is a Broadcast industry standard (particularly for SDI connections - which generally also means ideal for high resolution PC connections) but it is a solid centre cable so is less flexible.

In the UK cables are often referred to using the BBC name and PSF1/2 or PSF1/3 will also be suitable for all connections.

I always use either Canford Audio (www.canford.co.uk) or Composite Video (www.compositevideo.co.uk) who are both suppliers to the audio and video broadcast industry - both also do pre-made custom cables to order and true 75Ohm RCAs.

The products both these companies stock is equal to, or better than, any of the 'esoteric' video cables.

I hope you find this useful.

Oasis

3. Vielgrader

Vielgrader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently also looking for the perfect connection; I need to connect my Sony S9000Es with a Sony VW10HT via progressive scan cables, i.e. 3 x 75 Ohm RCA to RCA;
    so far I have used a broadcast quality, 5 core cable (Maplin, as thick as a garden hose!) and the best quality phono plugs I could find; over my required length of 10 m the video image quality is very good;
    however, I do seem to get some noise :mad: which is very visible at edges in the picture; I would guess it has something to do with the connectors?

Has anybody a good source for top of the range connectors; the ones to screw tight.

Thanks,

Rene

4. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi there,

That Maplins cable, is that the Van Damme, 5 way coax in a red sheeth....if so, i ended up making a 5m VGA -> 5BNC with it.....was a little difficult due to the size at the VGA end.....however a few tricks in terms of stripping and heat shrinking then binding in some really wierd industrial tape (Used for water tight connections on outside ariels).

I've ended up with an excelent cable thats even reasobable flexable....used Neutrix BNC's and a metal shelled VGA connector from maplins !

Cya,
    Lee

5. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I too have been researching hard to find the best solution for a DIY cable and have spent hours with a Maplins Catalogue trying to work out what fit's what, only to find nothing was in stock and the Assistant had never seen the Twist fit BNC's contectors, which thought should fit. OK i'll buy it then - NOT.

All I want is a VGA breakout cable, 10 mtrs long, that is 75 ohm, with good BNC contectors, without paying $250 including shipping.

Let me know if you have any joy or success with the Van Dam cable. (I was told by one rep to buy a VGA to 5 BNC 1 mtre cable £25. Then make a box with BNC's on it to receive this, then solder the Van dam cable inside the box. Is this a solution?

I did use my quadscan to my Barco BD800 with one on these computer cables with the 5 BNC's, it was very sharp. Wife didn't want the cable's hanging from the ceiling?

Later

Nathan :D

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Nathan,

Email me your phone number or call me at the shop tomorrow and I'll get you a proce for what you want.

Our suppliers for these leads have refused to deal with the public before but you can try if you want.

RGB communications. You'll get their number out of the CEDIA list in HCC mag. Our other supplier has stopped making HD15 to 5 bnc leads. We also have the capability to make high quality leads of the type you wish. I'd guess around £100 for 10m length.

Gordon