High quality over the ear headphones

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by vinylman, Feb 27, 2013.

1. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have 4 hundred to spend. Can anyone recommend me some decent headphones to use through my Arcam A28 when not using my B&W speakers? My wife can get quite annoyed with super loud music 27/7 and has agreed that I can buy some high quality headphones to use when she is marking school books!

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,551
    There is a sub-forum devoted to headphones on AVF

3. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Would it have really pained you just to answer my question?

4. Kieron

Kieron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,148
    He's given you the best information possible. There's a subforum with so much information right here :

Headphones & Headphone Amps | AVForums.com - UK Online

where you can read about headphones until the cows come home. Sheesh.. :rolleyes:

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,551
    Talk about ungrateful.

6. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sorry. It wasn't meant to be ungrateful. I apologise.

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,551
    Apology accepted.

8. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I got a great response in the headphone section. Sorry for my rudeness. I was rushed into hospital on Tuesday morning and I'm lying in my hospital bed feeling frustrated so unfortunately and regrettably I was a bit short with you. As soon as I have a full bill of health I'll be buying some Hifiman HE 400s!
    To anyone who's ended up here mistakenly interested in headphones, I can highly recommend the sub threads on headphones located under Audio electronics in the main menu of AVF.

9. Kieron

Kieron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,148
    Hope you get well soon and it's no problem. Just that as I say - there are so many experts as you've found on that subforum.

HE 400's are a great choice. Love your avatar too - do you own that deck?

10. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes that's a picture of my michell Gyrodec which has become like an extension of my body since I bought it around a year ago. Can't wait to get the new headphones. I really love listening to my music through my B&W 684s and floor standing speakers will always be my preferred listening experience but I'm trying to find ways to listen to music around the clock without ruining the lives of the rest of my family as I like to listen for the sake of listening- cant stand background music if you know what I mean! Back home from hospital now which is a huge relief as I'm on the mend! Love your avatar too - Harrison looks so young in it!

11. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Ah! an Avatar "love in".. seriously do like the look of the deck, not heard one though... considering where I'm from I would have to go for a Nottingham Turntable given the choice..and the cash :)

Curly

P.s. does anyone like my Avatar ;)

12. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes Curly, your avatar is awesome. And so have been Your comments since I joined AVFORUMS a while ago!
    Do you work in a huge oxfam shop? I should imagine a store like that must get lots of tasty vinyl coming in?
    My Gyrodec is wonderful but they are expensive! The turntable was around 1500 and I bought a 1200 arm and a 400 cartridge for it too!
    I always loved CD and have so much music on CD that I guess I will always have to love CD but vinyl is my big love these days. I can't believe how much of it I've accumulated in the last three years or so. You hear so much detail and expressive qualities that just aren't replicated digitally. I also use a moon LP3 phono stage which I highly recommend.

13. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Only a small-ish shop...it's an Oxfam Books and music store.., we do CD's, Vinyl, Audio books, music books, sheet music and DVD's,..iirc we were 6th for online book sales and 4th for online music sales last time I was told by the manager, we are dependant on donations but do get a fair few rare vinyl's in but condition is everything... and I spend to much in there ;)

Curly

14. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    A former colleague of mine has a Gyrodec, a full one in Bronze. It looks a million dollars! Sonically it's not half bad either.......... ;) To me it sounds very musical, but unlike the LP12 which is allegedly 'the most musical' turntable, it doesn't sound woolly or shut in depending on the recording. Lp12's always sound like the old 70's TT's to me, but with a little more incisiveness. The Gyro really picks detail out, and even better, it isn't fazed by poor recordings.

Some TT's are great - until you get a crap pressing. Then it renders the recording unlistenable. I found the Townshend Rock did that, as do the Clearaudios.

15. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Which TT do you use Overkill? I'd love to see your friend's Gyrodec in full bronze - mine is silver and bronze (as you can see in the avatar). I agree that the Gyrodec gives amazing detail although I must confess that I never really know where the credit is due - the TT, the origin live encounter arm, the dynavector 10X cartridge or the moon LP3 phono stage! Probably a mixture of them all, although I must say that since upgrading the arm from a rega 250 to an origin live encounter mk II in January the sound quality seems to have tripled!
    VM

16. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Roksan Xerxes MK1. I've resisted the upgrade to the 10/20 as I prefer the sound of the original. The arm is an RB300 with the Michel counterweight and re-wired. Current cartridge is an Ortofon Kontrapunkt 'A'.

The key element is the deck. Unless it does the basics right it doesn't matter how good the arm and cartridge are. The TT has to isolate motor hum, keep the pitch spot on and keep vibration to a minimum. How it does this produces the unique sound of each deck. The more solid the deck is the better the chances of it doing those things 'right'.

If the deck doesn't do the above right noise is transferred to the arm, then the cartridge, vibration causes the arm to modulate resulting in poor tracking, and if the pitch is off, well............

The arm is the second most important piece of the chain, as it must be as rigid as possible, yet at the same time not prone to resonate. The bearings must be tight and free from play, but allow completely free movement. The arm must also follow the groove as accurately as possible in order for the cartridge angle not to offset. A hard act to achieve.

The Cartridge is the most common element that gets changed and for me each move up the ladder has brought better and better results. Ignore the drooling prats who claim the law of diminishing returns applies, if your TT is up to it, then you can keep going up as high as your wallet can go.

This is why the TT is so important. If it's not good enough, then it doesn't matter how good the arm and cartridge are, they can't do their job.

Simple as.

17. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just looked up your deck - wow I bet it sounds good! Did you take out a mortgage? How do you keep your needle clean and fluff free? I use this little strip called green stuff that came with mine. It's like a very fine glass paper that you slide across the needle towards you. Seems to work well.

18. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Bought it through the trade. ;) As I did all my original quality hifi and accessories.

I use the brush that came with the stylus, and when things get clogged up, I use the Audio Technica sonic 'vibrating brush'. Nothing shifts stylus crap like it. you only use it sparingly though, and make sure the amp is off. I only made that mistake once............:rolleyes: