• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

High quality mp3 / wma encoding software.

thisisjimmi

Hi,

Which, in your opinion, windows mp3/wma encoding application generates the highest quality mp3/wma files?
I use Audioactive production studio myself.

Cheers,
jimmi

Uridium

Distinguished Member
uridium - thanks, that was quick :thumbsup: I will have a look.
Have you tried this soft yourself?

Cheers,
jimmi

Yes but not for over a year as all my Music is now ripped :smashin: but I use it to Transcode to between formats now and again (yes i know Transcoding is the work of the Devil :rolleyes: but sometimes needs must)

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Are you talking CD ripping software or encoders or both? The two are separate - generally, the ripper software just produces intermediate WAV files and then the encoder kicks in (controlled by by the ripper software) to compress and tag the files. The WAV files are then deleted. This should be a fairly seamless process.

Dbpoweramp is nice and easy to use, but if you want the highest quality accurate rips posible, then you want EAC (Exact Audio Copy) + the encoder you want (get the latest LAME encoder for MP3).

While EAC is considered the current gold standard in CD ripping, i would say Cdex comes in second and it's also free. In fact, when it comes to ripping CD's, all the best software is free :)

But to be honest, if you are producing highly compressed lossy files then you wont tell a great deal of difference. But I rip all my CD's to FLAC (lossless) as i have a Squeezebox, which is more important then to use a more accurate ripper/encoder, which are then re-encoded for my portable devices at the highest possible quality without re-ripping CD's (transcoding from FLAC to MP3 is the same quality as ripping the CD again). If you have the HDD space, the best strategy is to rip all CD's to lossless then put all your CD's away in a box and you will never have to rip again, even when you get a new device that needs a new format.

have a look on www.hydrogenaudio.org for more info/guides.

thisisjimmi

dangerous_dom - thanks for that.
Yes good question. I am really looking for encoding software as I already use EAC - it really is good indeed however I don't know why I didn't manage to set it to rip at speed x1 - maybe this is due to my dvd drive (?)
Hmm you recommend lame – as far as I know this encoder cuts high frequencies significantly. The advantage of this is that as high freq. costs the most of bandwidth there is much more space for the rest of the spectrum. I like treble very much that is why I is not my favourite choice. I have made my research last time several years ago so maybe something changed significantly since then…
Thanks for the link to the Hydrogenaudio forum – I will have a look.

Cheers,
jimmi

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Hmm you recommend lame ... I have made my research last time several years ago so maybe something changed significantly since then…

Indeed it has. LAME is now considered the best MP3 encoder. There may be extreme cases where another encoder might suit your needs better, but for 99% of people (such as rare compatibility issues), you cant go wrong with LAME (especially if you want proper gapless playback too). It's also much more configurable these days, i.e. if you are having problems with certain frequencies.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

Be careful with hydrogenaudio though, it's the best audio resource site, but it's a blackhole and you can find yourself spending far too much time on there :)

Oh, and as for transcoding - have you tired Foobar2000? It's the best music player out there (if you can live without childish interfaces like WMP), but also great for transcoding batch jobs.

thisisjimmi

Thanks, I will compare the new LAME with Audioactive production studio. It sounds like the LAME is the one to go for.
I haven't looked into the hdrogenaucio forms yet. I will take your advice and stay a way from it for a while as I am pretty busy and cannot afford the time now. I have put it to my bookmarks though :).

Many thanks,
jimmi

thisisjimmi

Another question :hiya: is what is which software gives the highest quality audio cd copies?
I found clone cd however it rippes at high speed and does not allow speed change - I found that to have high quality copies it is best to use 1x speed.
Cheers,
jimmi

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Another question :hiya: is what is which software gives the highest quality audio cd copies?
I found clone cd however it rippes at high speed and does not allow speed change - I found that to have high quality copies it is best to use 1x speed.
Cheers,
jimmi

As long as your CD reader/writer and software supports it, the best way to copy a CD for maximum exactness in using RAW mode.

But if the CD is not damaged, you are just as well to do a normal copy with Nero to be honest.

thisisjimmi

Thanks for that. Most of my cd are a little scratched. I will try RAW mode then. Which application apart from nero has this option? I cannot find it clone cd.

R

rela

i'd use CDEx. as well as being able to rip CDs, you can drag files into the window to convert them from one format to another. yays.

thisisjimmi

I will try the CDex then. Although I can't see the RAW option in it :-|. Which software would be good to use to burn ripped tracks to the cd (as audio cd - I don't want to convert those track, just make audio cd copies).
I selected a wrong option while coping three cds years ago and ended up with unnecessary 2-3 second gaps between tracks. Do you know if there is an easy way of removing those silent breaks while coping the messed up cds again?

thisisjimmi

Hi to continue the topic:
How about decoding .mp3 files to burn back onto a cd as audio?
We can use winamp (preferences/output/disk writer) but is there different software which can give better quality when decoding?

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Hi to continue the topic:
How about decoding .mp3 files to burn back onto a cd as audio?
We can use winamp (preferences/output/disk writer) but is there different software which can give better quality when decoding?

I dont think you will really see any difference what ever you use in term of sound quality, although i personally use Burrrn and Nero.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom