High Quality LCD Screens

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I have observed in my never ending quest for a bl**dy compact camera has been the better and better LCD screens that some have gone for. In particular the Samsung WB850 has the an OLED screen that puts most TVs to shame. The more common 461k screens seem pedestrian compared to the 921k and 1.1meg screen appearing...let alone that OLED Samsung. problem is as I see it is that pictures look absolutely stunning on the LCD...as they always will do at 3 inches anyway.

But I wonder is users are then disappointed when they put them on their computer screens ? Even with the little TZ10 often i am really happy with the shot on the LCD but less so on my excellent 22" Samsung LCD. PS nearly always comes to the rescue even with jpegs but whilst welcoming any improvements in our little compacts especially high end ones how important is that ultra sharp LCD ? I suppose in bright light the better the resolution and contrast the better it is. But is it giving a false sense of secuirty on IQ ?

I have been looking for a compact camera with a highly visible lcd in sunlight. If you know of one, please let me and others in on the act.

Most reviews hardly feature the usability of the screen. This is odd as it is the main interface between man and instrument. Quite often they will mention the number of dots but, according to some reviewers, this doesn't always correlate with visibility. Perhaps contrast and reflectivity play a major role as well as sheer pixel numbers. I dunno.

Anyway, it would be great if there was a digicam with a wide lens, a reasonable zoom and the sort of screen that can easily be seen on a bright sunny day. I haven't managed to find one yet. Perhaps others have some suggestions - please.

OLED Displays are better for viewing in bright light so have a look at something like the Olympus XZ-1 perhaps ?

Jim

It's the holy grail.... A screen that it good in sunlight. Considering it is the only way of taking and viewing shots on a compact and some others it is an obvious weak link. Unless you add the ability to plug in an EVF for those times and make them a reasonable price as well. I was really just pointing out that the IQ of these screens can make a poor shot look Ok until you get it on a PC.

But I would like to see all high end compacts have those plug in EVFs

Glad to see that my fruitless searches were not the result of my googling incompetence. Of course I'm sorry that the screen I want hasn't been developed yet. I will look at Amoled cameras.

Many thanks for your replies.

To continue this thread, it has dawned on me that I'm going to have to buy a bridge camera.

If I make the right choice a bridge will have a viewfinder, to help overcome the sunny day problem, and lugs for a neckstrap. Both of these factors will help me greatly.

Now I don't need the mammoth zooms that are on offer. So I'm now looking for a small, light bridge camera with neck lugs and a vf. Any suggestions will be welcome.

I can see the point but I don't think it's an issue, I find better screens more useful but crucially mobile phone screens are advancing quickly which can make photos from their camera look better than a compact camera picture on its own screen.

My use for a compact is a small pocket sized camera for use when I don't have a bigger one so I prefer not to have an plug in EVF option as it adds size and weight onto a camera which I want as small and light as possible. I disagreed when Canon didn't offer a hotshoe/accessory mount on the S90 and preferred Panasonic's approach but I didn't use it once on the GF1 and never missed it when Panasonic removed the mount to shrink the GF series.

John

Yes, I can see what you mean and, really, agree with your view. Trouble is, I have to walk with a stick and would like to find a compact I could hang round my neck as it would be easier.

I haven't found this easy and would forgo the brilliant screen that doesn't seem to exist if one came along.

Thanks for your reply

Maybe the problem, as I see it, is that a great screen can fool the phtographer to thinking he's taken a great shot only to be disappointed when he gets it home without the chance to retake of course.

But thinking about it thats true in any case. Just thinking out loud really :thumbsup:

To continue this thread, it has dawned on me that I'm going to have to buy a bridge camera.

If I make the right choice a bridge will have a viewfinder, to help overcome the sunny day problem, and lugs for a neckstrap. Both of these factors will help me greatly.

Now I don't need the mammoth zooms that are on offer. So I'm now looking for a small, light bridge camera with neck lugs and a vf. Any suggestions will be welcome.

The Fuji X10 comes to mind which is a popular camera around these parts:

Fujifilm X10: Digital Photography Review

It has a viewfinder, lugs, small fast zoom and much better image quality than a bridge camera. Its shape should be easier to carry as well I would have thought.

Have you looked into Black Rapid straps? I haven't used them myself but they mount using the tripod socket rather than using lugs which would surely the widen the range of suitable cameras.

John

Last edited:
The Fuji X10 comes to mind which is a popular camera around these parts:

Fujifilm X10: Digital Photography Review

It has a viewfinder, lugs, small fast zoom and much better image quality than a bridge camera. Its shape should be easier to carry as well I would have thought.

Have you looked into Black Rapid straps? I haven't used them myself but they mount using the tripod socket rather than using lugs which would surely the widen the range of suitable cameras.

John

+1

Image quality is indeed better than any of the excellent bridge cameras out there. If you don't need the high zoom then for me the X10 is a bargain at around £300-350. I use a hand strap on my DSLR which also fits on the X10 tripod hole but with the X10 I used a lug strap around my neck.

As a camera to hold its the most comfortable and easy one out there IMO... but it is bigger than a compact of course but smaller than a bridge..

Last edited:
Right, perhaps we are getting somewhere. I'll look at the Black Rapid straps and the Fuji X10 to see what I think of those.

Many thanks. You've been very helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom