1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High quality GC RGB cables recommendations please.

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Obuggrit, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been looking on Amazon and Consoleplus for decent scart leads for the GC. Of all of them only the official Nintendo ones seem to have true RGB - the rest that say RGB turn out to be composite (can't they get in trouble for false advertising?). The Nintendo ones however are far too expensive for what they are (cheap components) and the cheaper version doesn't have seperate audio outputs.
    So could anyone recommend a high quality scart cable with seperate audio outputs or a dongle that'll sit in between the TV's scart socket for audio?

Thanks

2. Scott23

Scott23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I got my Nintendo Official RGB cable from ebay for £4.50 and never looked back. The picture quality on a decent TV is amazing. The only downside is the lack of separate audio leads, but if your TV will do output audio you can route it from the TV to a home cinema amp system.

Check them out on Ebay - you might find some for sale on there.

3. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, unfortunately my TV doesn't have a headphone jack on it, though. I think I have the only TV in the world that doesn't have one. :laugh:
    I might fork out for the official Nintendo one yet despite it's rediculous price (not gold plated, OFC copper conductors, or interference screened), unless I can find a second hand one. I'll probably have to cut it open to access the audio cables or find a scart box or dongle that has seperate outputs. I've found this on Amazon but I can't find any information about it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...308/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-1279513-2712635

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,962
    I just bought a 3rd party one off ebay for £1.49 see here .

Works an absolute treat, superb quality!

5. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cheapest one I've found on eBay is £10, that's "buy it now" though. There's a 3rd party one by Venom that apparently is true RGB and has seperate composite video and audio outputs but I'm wary that it may end up being just a generic composite video cable. I can't find any reviews on it, so does anyone know what it's like?

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,962
    The one I bought was completely unamed but is RGB wired as the bloke stated on ebay. Gives a great picture so i'm more than happy with it. I'd just go for it, especially if you find one for just a few quid.

7. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bidded on the same brand one you bought, gthom. I've also bought that venom one. I bought the Blaze "ultimate" scart cable last week and it came today - the image is slightly blurrier and the saturation is far too high. Hopefully these 2 other cables will be better.
    Thanks all.

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  9. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks EvilJohn. I didn't know what word to search for on Amazon and eBay for those types of adaptors. I just added breakout to the search boxes and they came back a with a fair few. :)

10. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Venom GC cable came today. It says it's an RGB cable on the box and both the GC and SCART plugs have all the pins, but the image quality is the same as the composite sync cable that came with the GC. The width of the cable makes me suspect it's composite too. Are manufacturers allowed to make claims like this?
    Still, I have the same brand cable gthom ordered to come yet. I hope that is true RGB.

11. BALLISTIX

BALLISTIX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read something, somewhere, that the official RGB scart is simply the best route, there is supposed to be some extra little bit of hardware built into it that none/most of the clone cables do not have :lesson: .
    I have the official cable, and it's fab.
    Just ordered component cables for xbox cube and ps2 (imminent plasma arrival :D )

Regards
    Andy

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,962
    Mine definately is RGB - miles better than the composite scart that comes with it. :thumbsup:

13. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,301
    The RGB Cable I have isnt very big cable wise but its defently RGB. I got mine ages ago when I last had an N64, no one told me that the UK N64 didnt output RGB so when I hooked up the cable there was no picture so I left the cable in a draw until I got a Gamecube then brought it out of retirment and have been happily playing is excellent quality every since.

14. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping the brand ofcable gthom3 has will do the trick. If not, I'll have to buy the official one, fortunately it's a far more reasonable price on liksang, assuming it is the official one.

15. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the same cable from the same guy - he sent me another Blaze "Ultimate :censored: " cable. I hope he will exchange it. Do you know the brand name for yours? Is it the one pictured?

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,962
    Hi mine is a completely unbranded one but it definately works in RGB (i've compared it to the standard lead and the difference is amazing).

Are you 100% sure that you are connecting it to an RGB wired scart socket. I know that i've mixed them up on my TV before. It just seems odd that you've had 2 leads now that were stated to be RGB wired, but seem not to be when you connect them.

Mine looks identical to the one that I posted in my ebay link below.

17. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this Blaze one isn't RGB - it's only wired to the composite lines.
    Ah, I thought both slots were wired up for RGB - the right hand port is giving a far clearer picture with the Venom cable, red is a lot crisper and the sure way of knowing it's RGB wired is that the image is transposed slightly to the left on my TV lol. It never occured to me why I was getting a b/w image with my GC on that port and not with the DVD player. Do'h!
    I wonder why he gave me the Blaze one - these ones usually sell at a high price because of their fancy winding gimmicks and audio breakouts.

Thanks gthom

18. fdxd

fdxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Gamester Professional RGB scart. Much better than the offical RGB scart. Gold plated and has audio outs.

I advise getting a component lead as well if your tv takes it as the GC outputs even better due. :D

19. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish I could but my TV is pretty old - has 2 scart sockets and an aerial input, that's it, but it'll do for me until plasma TVs come down to a sane price.
    I think the one I ordered is the same RGB cable you have - it's black with gold connectors but there was no brand mentioned in the auction.

20. y220186

y220186
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tried many different RGB leads, from many companies, and the only one that truly offers the best picture, is the Official one from Nintendo, bought cheap as chips on ebay.