1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Quality Digital Camera for Website Use

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Edgeyboy, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I need to buy a high quality digital camera for use on our company website taking photos of models wearing clothing in a DIY studio at our offices.

Budget is around £500-£800. Must be fairly easy to use. Which is the best camera ?

many thanks.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Ok - this is more my ponderings than any actual advise.

Given the photos are going to be used on a website (for which images are displayed at 72dpi) I very much doubt you will need either a "high quality" camera nor one costing up to £800.

Having looked at a few 'designer' clothes website the largest any photos are (and these are the click here to enlarge ones) in the region of 600x500 pixels where as even a 5 mp camera will produce an image approx 4 times those dimensions (ie 16x the area).

Having very little expertise in cameras - though a previous web developer - I would have thought that unless you intend to print your pictures then a much cheaper camera but a decent software package to resize the images would be a more sound investment.

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Agreed

You don't need to be spending that amount of money. I'd point you in the direction of the canon S70 as it's interior shots you're going to be taking, it's 28mm which is wider then most cameras. Will be able to do the job with ease and more...

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Edgeyboy,

Have you thought about lighting ?

You might need a couple of mains powered flashes on stands to get decent lighting.

Built in flashes usually give poor results, shadows etc, especially on compact point and shoots.

Camera would need to be able trigger an external flash, might limit the choice a bit !

Once you have the lighting sorted out, getting consistent 'pro' results is fairly easy.

Hope that helps a bit ! (not that I am a lighting expert)

Mark.

5. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with all points above & especially lighting. To keep things simple your best bet might be to find room in office iwth lots of natural light & then purchase some reflectors (those circle thingys) & use them to reflect light for best results. Flash units could work out too complicated unless your experienced in the area.

6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    A bit more on lighting,

Here is a link to a great thread on fredmiranda forum about home studio lighting etc, will give you some ideas. ( Very long thread.... )

Look at the great results that can be achieved with fairly simple lighting.

A £300 Camera with £500 of lighting will give FAR better indoor photo results than any £800 camera on its own, in my experience.

A good company to try for advice and equipment is http://www.theflashcentre.com/ They have a branch in Leeds :)

Not sure if £800 is enough though...

Mark.

7. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Thanks for the info guys. Very helpful.
    I have arranged for a chap to come and assess what lighting we will need for our mini studio.