High quality budget screen needed....Help!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pistolpete1, Apr 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I need a good quality 84" screen to replace the one I currently have. The issue I have with my current electric one is that the screen uniformity is poor. It is a 0.8 gain grey screen, and was quite cheap.

I think it's time for a better quality one, but I'm still on a budget, depending on whether I can get my money back on this current screen.

I'm happy to have either white or grey. I picked grey initially because the Benq W1070 has 'average' blacks and this is one way to improve them. But I'm happy to sacrifice deep black for screen uniformity.

I'm happy to sacrifice having an electric screen, if it means the quality is good. I have no issues using a pull down screen.

I have seen the following screens online so far. Two are from a company called Elite screens and one from Optoma (I have looked at Sapphire screens too, but they only do 77 or 92" screens):

"Manual M84NWH" manually operated screen 185,4cm x 104,1cm (BxH) 16:9

"Spectrum ELECTRIC84XH" Electric Economy 186,0cm x 104,6cm (BxH) 16:9

DS-9084PMG+ 16:9 manual projector screen :: Optoma

I must emphasise that I need an 84" screen as the projector and fixings for the screen are already up from the use of this current screen.

Are these companies good at producing quality screens? Has anyone got any of these a screens and are happy with the quality?

Any help would be most appreciated. My budget is no more than £250.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Happy to hear any views on the Optoma or Elite screens ranges regarding their quality in terms of uniformity of the screen etc, regardless of size of screen....anyone?

3. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Noone got any experience with Optoma or Elite screens on here?

4. fungus1487

fungus1487

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I am in the same boat pal :( keep plugging away and hopefully someone can give some much needed feedback with regards to these manufacturers.

5. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Fingers crossed. I did find a guy in the States on a different forum suggest he'd had screens from both companies and the Optoma screen was far better than the Elite one.

Surely someone in the UK have similar views perhaps?

6. fungus1487

fungus1487

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I am slowly creeping towards the sad conclusion that I may need to go fixed screen or not at all. My main concern is screen curl and I can't see any decent reviews for anything under £1500+ and then I still don't see any comments about this for long term setups as I don't think any setup has been sufficiently tested long enough.

7. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    From my (very limited) knowledge, a fixed screen is the best solution for a screen, and I hope to build one in the future. In fact, I've just received some samples from PSM, as I think I will use them to supply the screen material and build the frame myself.
    Unfortunately with a 50" plasma in the way, a fixed screen is not something I can add to the lounge at this current point.

8. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    I have a Panoview (Optoma) 84 inch pull down screen. I think it's the same as this one:

Optoma Panoview 84 inch Manual Pull Down Screen: Amazon.co.uk: TV

It's good for the price, and for our use it's fine. It's locking mechanism is a little quirky - it can take a few seconds holding it at the height you want to get it to lock. Unfortunately, it does suffer screen curl at the edges. It doesn't bother us; but you might not like it.
    If you want, I'll see if I can take a couple of pictures, just reply and I'll see what I can do.
    Cheers
    Phil

9. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I would love to see some pictures....Thanks for your message. Screen curl at the edges isn't something that worries me much....it's screen uniformity. I assume the optoma screens uniformity is very good, and you don't notice light and dark patches on the screen when a light scene of a movie is panning across it?
    It looks like I'm having my screen exchanged by the seller for one he will inspect before shipping, so I may not need to look elsewhere, but if I do the Optoma is top of my list!

10. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    I started out with manual pull down Optoma screens and had 4 all of which had bad edge curl that impacted the white area. I now have a sapphire electric and although it does have some edge curl after being rolled up it does hang out to some degree and does not affect the picture area from our seating. All the screens I have had though have been excellent with uniformity.

11. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    The Optoma screen is fine for uniformity; remember though, we're casual viewers, and not highly critical. I've just looked at the screen curl at the edges. It's actually mainly the black border, and hardly impacts the actual screen.
    Here is it:

20160415_180036.jpg 20160415_175717.jpg 20160415_180010.jpg 20160415_175943.jpg

I've showed the screen in 2 positions; the lowest one is as low as it goes and is how we use it.
    Note that in picture 2, the 'marks' on the screen are not actually there. Must be light or the flash. You can see we're only casual PJ users as you can see the PJ in the cabinet in the left corner. I tried to get something to show the screen curl at the edge, but it wasn't really showing anything.
    We really don't have any problems with the screen given the low price; although you will see we only have a 42 inch TV in a fairly large room, so we're possibly not the most critical viewers.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  12. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Thanks for taking the time to post some pictures.....looks like a lovely room to relax with a movie.

To be fair, with work and having a toddler in the house, I haven't used my projector much yet. Having issues with the first two screens haven't helped this either. I'm really looking forward to being able to enjoy a uniformed screen and not sit there looking for the imperfections on the screen. I just want to sit and watch the movie, not the screen!

As for edge curl, there are a few ways to help with that so it doesn't bother me much, so if this next replacement screen isn't acceptable, I'll definitely be buying an Optoma!

13. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    My feeling is that the Optoma is probably fine for non critical viewing, and a very good solution for us. But if I had a dedicated room (or even a wall where I could mount a permanent screen) I'd be looking at a better (and pricier) option. I'd have liked a larger Optoma, but we're limited by where we can put the PJ. (on the end of the coffee table). So I need a short throw PJ like my Sanyo. I'm told that ceiling mount is simply not an option.!!!
    We sit on a sofa at right angles to the one shown behind the coffee table.

14. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    To be honest, the projector is used occasionally at the moment (movies, etc), although the Euro 16 football will look pretty good on a 84" I reckon!

I think it'll be used more once I sort out the screen issues I've been having. Fingers crossed the replacement will do this.

I agree, if I had the space I'd be building my own fixed frame screen, but alas the 50" plasma is currently in the way, which is why when I use the screen it comes down in front of the tv. ( I may try and post some pictures soon)