1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High powered monobloc with pot? Yar, mon!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nathan_silly, Mar 22, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of getting a SVS subwoofer- possibly a CS-Ultra or a SS series.

It will only be used for AV - .1 LFE out from my processor. I take it I won't need a crossover, as the processor will send only 20-80hz signal?

I will only want a single sub, so the bundled 2 channel amp is a bit of waste, therefore looking for a high powered monobloc with a pot- maybe just round the back of the amp (Like NAD) to trim the level out- with the processor's own small adjustment to get the right level of output.

Looking of up to £800 for a monobloc, designed for subwoofer use.

Thanks

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Can the Samson amps SVS use not be bridged for mono use? A lot of their lower ones can be.

ED: Just looked they can (S1000)

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bridging increases wattage output, but lowers low-curent impedance drive ability, so best not to do it!:lesson:

(I think)

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    With an amp like the S1000 I hardly think that will be a problem.;)

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember reading a review for the SVS subwoofer bundled amp, and the reviewer recommended not to bridge the amp...

"However, do not bridge the amplifier to drive the single sub in this case. Bridging reduces the ability of an amplifier to drive low impedances, and when I ran my Carvin power amplifier (also a touring amp) in bridged mode with the SVS at high volume, I burned it up. So, if you have the stereo amp and one sub, just drive it with one of the amplifier channels."

from this review

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/svs-cs-ultra-subwoofers-5-2002.html

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Fair enough.

Good luck in your hunt.:smashin:

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found this, a high powered monobloc... good price, but needs a pot though (guess could always use a in-line pot)

http://www.bkelec.com/Diy/mf1000.html

Is the picture accurate? Will I need to build a cover, as it'll be a standalone unit, not built inside the subwoofer itself?

Found this as well...

http://www.bkelec.com/Diy/sbp.htm

Looks like that needs a little case to be built as well.

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    There's been a lot of discussion about the BKElec amps in the DIY forum if you want to head over there.

They are quite popular, adn yes it will really need a box to go in, and a few other minor cost parts.

9. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I had the same issue, using a THX Ultra power amp to drive my 2x 10inch isobaric sub.

I built a simple passive in-line fixed attenuator using audiophile grade components for about £20 all-in. It works perfectly and will be higher quality than a pot, although whether that really matters for sub-bass I'm not sure.

See: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61266

Howerver that sub-bass controller looks really useful for taming the cross-over between mains and subs if your sub has a 40 or 50Hz peak, at the expense of reducing the max output level.

regards,
    Rob.

10. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    See if Steve.EX has still got his single Denon POA-6600 and then see if he might be tempted to part company with it.

Mike.

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob- probably just use the Lex's 80hz crossover - my mains go down to 36hz so there will be identical frequencies reproduced which I don't think matters in AV - in stereo it does

(unless I set the all speakers to small)

I don't know much about electronics (I know what a cap, resistor does but I haven't the knowledge to build anything up)

Ideally just like a whopping great monobloc with a pot, most simplist way really. Or simple monobloc with- I pay someone to build a little box with phono input & phono output, with a single pot? (or if there's anything available?)

Not interested in that Denon, thanks

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found a Crown K1 amp for £500 + VAT, this has volume control for each channel. Pretty good price.

Might go for one CS-Ultra, then maybe another one later on.

Anyone here got a CS-Ultra?

I went to the secure ordering form, and it came up with $315 for shipping, but elseware on SVS site it says $150- which is correct?

Also anyone know how to avoid the c word? :D