1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High pitched hum from new EH50 normal ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Merlin, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it out the box, followed the plumbing instructions with TV on but sound down to a whisper so I could concentrate, then plugged it in, it did a download of channels available , I was aware at that stage of a high pitched fine hum, not loud as such but I could hear it without going out of my way to do so, I was 5ft from it in my viewing chair. Thought it was to do with the unit tuning in, but still there afterwards, it goes when I turn the unit off, Not yet inserted a dvd or used the HDD for recording, just plumbed it in. Closing glass doors of where unit is sited removes the sound somewhat but what was a silent room for book reading etc will not be so. Should it be doing this ? I will be hearing this up close when doing the vhs to dvd transfer/plumbing.

Its not the fan from what I can deduce, so must be the HDD I guess when not doing anything, and no unit doors closed in front of it ?

Calling owners of EH50's, whats yours like with no dvd in it and turned on but not doing anything ?

Do not wish to keep a duffer unit but dont want to return a 'normal' machine either as it will go off to the repair shop on the weekly collection, they will assess it no doubt in a weeks time, then they declare it normal and back it comes, could be three weeks ! I need it for things now :( having waited for it to hit the UK.

Merlin :(

2. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Replying to my own thread, in case of use to others :)
    It was a HDD noise, third machine from a different shop v quiet, not audible, quieter than the shop shelf demo one, they do vary in that case, first one 10 times as much as last or so, a little to much variation ! Hope this one doesnt develop that noise with age.
    Merlin