1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High pitched buzzing.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by weyland-yutani, Sep 23, 2003.

1. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I'm getting a high pitched buzzing from my speakers. When I jiggle the cable connections on the amp it affects the buzzing, e.g. louder/quieter. Its happening on all 5 speakers and is presant when there is no audio. Incidently, speaker cable with a marking along one side should be attached to the + terminal, yes?

2. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hmmm supposedly if you didn't wiggle thr wires it wouldn't buzz?
    It's nothing to worry about unless it is doing it without you jiggling the wires...

3. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    no, i wiggled the wires because of the noise.

4. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a similiar situation to this in the past and it was because my Amp wasn't grounded properly.

Do you have a TV or radio aerial connected in the system anywhere?? If so this is quite often the problem with grounding, try taking these out temporarily and see if the buzzing goes away.

Just a thought, good luck

Dave.

5. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I get the same kind of buzzing from my tweeters on my main speakers...tho, I've only noticed them since I've moved in with my girl - so, it's possibly either dirty eleccy, or that fact that shes been messing around since she bought a new yoga dvd...I spoke to eltax and they reckon that my tweeters may have blown...but the sound quality is still fine...still needs to be tested tho...

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    What is your kit list? What hardware have you got?:)

7. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I think it is linked to weyland-yutani's electrified TV problem. All could be caused by earth problems.

8. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I don't think it's the tv as it still happens when the amp is not connected to anything. My amp is yamaha5540 and speakers are all mission m7's.

Can someone please confirm that speaker cable with a mark along one side should be connected to the '+' terminals, just so I can rule out that as a cause?

9. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't guarantee it as all cables are different but I think you will find the mark on one side is simply so that you can identify each strand at speaker end and amp end. Hence helping you to match + to + and - to -.

Basically both sections of the cable are probably the same.

Dave.

10. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    My manual says that loudpeaker cable is 'polarity coded along one edge'. Does that mean anything or is it, as you say, just for matching purposes?

I'm now off to connect all the cables again to see if it is still happening. :(

11. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    well, the cables to be matched - i.e. the + on the amp should be paired with the + on the speaker, the same goes with the -
    however, its common for them to be colour coded, i.e. red to red, and black to black...

12. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said was always my understanding that the markings on the cable are only for aid in installation to ensure as said above the + in amp matches to + in speaker.

Dave.

13. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I've managed, after messing with the connection, to reduce the buzzing so it can only be heard from the woofer cone when you put your ear against it. Should I just leave it there or is it a sound that shouldn't be there at all? It was coming from the tweeter aswell, so logically if it can be removed from there it can be removed from the woofer, yes?

thanks.

14. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    It's still there:( :( :(

I can jiggle the connectors till it lessons but when I turn off the amp and then on, it reverts to loud buzzing. Now if I connect all 5 spks it's almost deffening, like a swarm of bees. It has also started to short it's self off when you try to adjust the connectors. Sometimes just touching the connection will cause it to shut off:rolleyes:

Could this be an internal problem? I'm about to send it back but I'm not sure how to best describe the problem so they can locate it. Any ideas on what it could be? Earthing, loose connections, dry solder point etc,.

Any help/advice on how to deal with the dreaded 'return to base' farce, that I know will cause me headaches, "I'm sorry we couldn't find a fault, you'll have to pay a fee.......and we're not sending it back till you do................which you've also got to pay for":rolleyes: :suicide:

Thanks.