1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High output 2 channel poweramps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nathan_silly, Apr 25, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still looking for a high output two channel poweramp suitable for a passive subwoofer.

I think a 200W 2 channel poweramp will be plenty.

I know of the Rotel 991, Parasound HCA-1200. What others are there and what is the rrp?

cheers

2. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    How much you looking to spend..?

ATC do some top-notch amplification that will drive most anything. Their SPA2-150 domestic power amp puts out a VERY serious 150-watts, though it costs around £3000 (!) They also do an integrated based on the same design, but costing a fair bit less, at just over £2000. Then there is the professional SPA2-200, which is a 200-watt beast aimed at studios and other pro applications, which is maybe a bit tricky to find (and I haven't a clue what the price is).

You should be able to find examples of the others secondhand for a fair bit less than RRP, if you have a look around.

ATC also do a very scary 40kg 850-watt pro 4-channel power amp with built-in crossover designed to drive ATC monitors as if they were active (two 275-watt for bass drivers, one 200-watt for midrange, one 100-watt for tweeter), but somehow I don't think that's what you're after (and god only knows what it costs...) :devil::eek:

Cheers,

Dunc

3. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Dunk...

People must love geezers like us.....

You waffling endlessly on about ATC
    Me waffling endlessly on about Meridian.

Nathan_silly just waffling endlessly.
    D'ya think they get the message on here????

:D :D

Adzman

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Top flight
    Tag / Bryston

Middle road
    Parasound

Bargain basemend
    Rotel

5. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I use a Denon POA-T10 2-channel THX Ultra amp, rated at 120W or 200W per channel, depending on the distorsion figure you read. They appear for £250-£310 secondhand here and ebay.

With each channel driving one of the two isobaric 10 inch sub drivers. It sounds very, very controlled to me.

I needed an in-line line-level attenuator to drop the line signal 8db otherwise the cone would bottom out even with my Denon AV amp's subwoofer limiting on max.

I'm going to then use the power-amp to drive the front pair, in a 7.1 setup once I have the spare cash and can decide on which large Velodyne active sub to buy.

regards,
    Rob.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  7. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What about a NAD 218THX?
    2*200w 8ohm or 700w bridged.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Parasounds seem the best featured- they have the gain adjustement on the back panel. Rob's comments are also steering me towards a amp with gain adjustment.

How much is the HCA-1200II ? (and what other 2 ch amps have gain adjustment?)

Retro- the amp plate seems a good idea. However I'll need to build a cover- I haven't got a workshop. Also still need gain control, which the BK amp probably lacks.

Ta

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Gain control is very easy to add, just needs a pot.

However making the enclosure for it would be the challenge, summit I need to do.

10. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Spligsey - you said it. Waffling geezers of the world unite! (Highly appropriate comment coming from someone in the middle of his finals....... :p )

But really, though, once you find a company that makes the products that make you happy, you have every reason to spread the word. :) (And a company like ATC needs all the unpaid evangelists they can get, seeing as they don't really believe in the concept of marketing... Maybe I could get them to send me a complimentary set of Active 50s for my services. :D)

Wholeheartedly agree with your stance on Meridian, too, at least as far as CD players are concerned (can't say I've had much experience of their amps or speakers, though I did rather like their M33 which the local dealer used when I was demoing CD players a while back.)

Cheers,

Dunc