High Mileage Estate......Is It Worth It?

W

Wannabe

Having just started a job where I get a company car (The awasome power that is a Fiesta 1.4 TDCi) I am looking to get rid of our two family cars and get something for the wife to transport our young son around in and to use as a family car at the weekends and for holidays and stuff.
I'm only looking to spend around 7-8 grand as we are looking to move house and as I've been impressed with the economy of my little diesel, have been looking at the Audi A6 Avant and BMW 3 Series Diesel Estates. The only thing is that I like the newer shape models but obviously they are all quite high milers for the money.
My question is would you go for the high miler, or compromise and if so where? I'd like something a bit sporty so people carriers are out and I don't really fancy a Ford, Renault or Peugeot.......picky aren't I!!!!!

Advice welcome!

nick501

Distinguished Member
I'm sure you'd be fine as long as the car in question has some service history.

What are you calling high mileage though?

Also i wouldn't expect very good fuel economy on a larger diesel (25-35 mpg)

W

Wannabe

I'd class high mileage as 100k +

If the economy won't be so good on a larger diesel, would I be as well looking at a petrol model with similar miles?

The car will probably be doing less than 10,000 miles per year when i get it.

Joe90sDad

Banned
Do you really need an estate? PITA to park unless you really need the space.

100k is nothing for a diesel and there's nothing wrong with Peugeots ;) .

D

Deleted member 13294

Check out www.audidiesels.com

They currently have a couple of A6 Avants in your price range.

The Audi diesels are renowned for their longevity, so high mileage shouldn't be a problem. Most of the cars on there are properly maintained ex company cars.

The car will probably be doing less than 10,000 miles per year when i get it.
If you're only doing that mileage, I don't think its worth paying the premium for a diesel, a petrol is not going to cost much more to run in reality.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Depends on car and engine, Usually 100K is nothing nowadays and dont worry.
But people seem to forget that the thing with mileage/service history is, unless it's a damn expensive car (mid to supercars) when u hope and asume the dealers can be trusted for the cash. More normally Service hisrtory means **** ( a mate had his Passat serviced fully and what said was done was NOT.) Him and his brother have built 205 Mi16 conversions.
Cant trust anybody these days when it comes to money, yes u will and do and do get the great places, more often than not the small independents are best.

The people who know there stuff dont usually care about high milage/service history as they know what to look for and or and have pals who can check & fix anything. I have a not so knowlegable mate who works a respcectable garage, and says lots of iffy crap goes on. It's Just the guy who gets his book stamped is happy for perfect selling and the pro who does it himself and has none although having a spot on car may struggle to sell to the 'joe public' as it's been quoted here before..
We all hear the crap that goes on. (not saying that's what goes on everywhere but u know what i mean).

Usually nowadays 100K is nothing.
May get some abuse for that but the guys/gals who know what i mean will back us up.
:)

W

Wannabe

Do you really need an estate? PITA to park unless you really need the space.

100k is nothing for a diesel and there's nothing wrong with Peugeots ;) .
Sorry.....had two bad experiences with 2 different Peugeots so never again!

Have just looked at (from a distance) a Vauxhall Signum......anyone have any first hand experience of them?

Do need the space an estate offers as it doubles as the wifes office....but definately no to people carriers.

Mylo

Novice Member
Go for a V40 Volvo then mate. Fairly big, very safe and even the 1.8i petrol engine returns pretty good mpg whilst still being quite rapid.

DVD-Man

Kinda in the same position myself as the OP, have looked at Signums but they have a big cheap Corsa dash so it put me off.

More interested in a Passat but a recent trip to a friends changed that when I was introduced to Audi! Yeah same stuff but much nicer finished and put together, looks way better than the Passat inside anyway. Had a short blast in a 97 A6 saloon/hatch and it was great, I was even more suprised to see it had done 221K, no burst seats, no buggered suspension, no rust etc you couldn't tell apart from the odometer really.

I don't need an A6 but will be seeking out an A4.

Liam

Londondecca

A car which has done over 100,000 miles of motorway driving has lived an easy life. As with almost everything connected with cars, do your homework and be fussy, there will always be lots of 'dogs' for sale.

I had a BMW 520 which I sold at 250,000 miles and it was still as good as the day I bought it at 50,000. Outside of normal servicing items like brakes etc the only additional money was for a headgasket at 220,000

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I have run many cars over 100,000 miles and agree with the above posts that 100K is easy for a modern car if it is looked after especially if it is mostly motorway driving.

My company has an estates only policy for us engineers, so we all have various models of VW and Audi diesels. Most of us seem to get mid forties mpg, with a boot full of tools and spare parts, so unless you buy a 3 litre diesel then drive it round town all the time, economy should be similar.

I currently have a 2.0TDI Passat estate (new shape) with 36,000 miles after one year(!) and it's barely run in. The previous 1.9TDI I had was a nice car that I would have been happy to keep for myself, but it was passed onto a collegue. I could get over 50mpg when driven gently.

Most of my ex company cars were at or over 100K when replaced and even a Focus Diesel I had was still going strong...with a valet you wouldn't have guessed the mileage if the odo was covered up. Just try to make sure that the car you buy has had at least regular oil changes and preferably as full a service history as you can get.

Good luck with the search:thumbsup:

W

Wannabe

Just to throw something else into the equation I saw an Audi Allroad today and it seemed like an A6 with plastic bits (not so good but doesn't look cheap), but with a 2.5 TDi Quattro engine, (which is good) and it seems quite a bit cheaper than the A6.......is there a catch????????

Just stick to looking at german cars...audi,vw,bmw, merc etc.. and you will be fine.

Dont touch anything french as it they wear out their hazard warning switches quicker than their tyres! truely awful cars.

Bilbob

I gotta agree with the French car comments... the engines ARE good, it's the rest of the car that ain't! High mileage french cars are best left alone.

As for german ones, they are good, but personally would prefer BMW over modern Audi's.
And don't ignore modern Fords either, they are very good, the engines are good for high mileage, and as said above, they wear very well. Far better than Vauxhall. And for your money, I'd have thought that a bit of careful searching would bring up a 2-3 year old mondeo deisel estate. Give one a try, they drive really well, engines go well and IMO look good too. And the advantage is that you will get a far lower mileage and newer car.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom