1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Lumen with less contrast Ratio or Less Lumen with high contrast ratio ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jazzartist, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo Folks ,

I am planing to buy PJ for a while and I am new with PJs . I need the communities help on this question . I am planing to buy Pj for my home use in Dimly lit room for watching movies mainly I am not serious about using it with computer . I am coming accros many specifications . I need to Know which one to select More lumens with less contrast Ratio or Less lumens with High contrast Ratio ? Also I want to know if XGA will make much differnce compared with SVGA for Movies ? Also all the Pjs dont have Component video Input , most of them have S video is it going to affect in great way to the picture quality ? . Shall be great full for any suggestions. Regards.

Jazzartist

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Isn't this basically the same question that you asked about a week ago and got a few answers to here - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82295

Just some friendly advice :). If you continue to ask the same question albeit in different ways, you will quickly lose the valuable support of forum members.

As to your question regarding XGA vs SVGA then yes XGA will make quite a difference (although this will also likely depend on the qauuality of the inbuilt or offboard scaler. Why? SVGA is 800x600 which when used in 16:9 format is actuually reduced to 800x400 so the scaler will have to downsacle the source image. Whereas XGA is 1024x768 which is 1024x576 in 16:9 format which matched PAL resolution but will require a small amount of upscaling for NTSC material.

And yes, component will make quite a difference over S-Video. I certainly would not buy a pj without a component input (even if I did not have a component source -yet :) )

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Lost my interest in this poster a good while ago............... the raft of noobs posting when they should be reading is a pain......that combined with fence-sitting "me too, me too" posting - jeeeeez !! It seems as though no thread is safe from getting "fjorked", or everyday some noob is along with an unlikely tale or question.

From a PM received from Jazzartist - to which I have no intention of replying, btw, I suspect that his/her sig should really be p1$$artist.

S.

4. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Messiah,

Thanks for your advise . I will not ask the same question again. I do value the opinion of this community members. Thanks again for your reply .

Theritz,

You misunderstood my posting . I have no intention of posting the same question again and again. If my you dont like to answer my PM ignore it and I am sorry that I have sent PM to you . As for your other comment try to have some patience and respect for the community members. Unlike you I am not making any comment agianist you or suggesting to change your name , because its not my purpose or intention to hurt others feeling or show disrespect to any community members . Hope you realize this in future.

Jazzartist

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You expect anyone to take this seriously from some one who posts threads as follows ???

Which is more important for Bright and clear picture Lumen , Contrast Ratio ?

What is the size of your AV room ?

What Features would you look for when Buying Projetor?

High Lumen with less contrast Ratio or Less Lumen with high contrast ratio ?

:rotfl: :rotfl:

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Jazzartist

Forget the spec sheets.

Forget the advice of others.

Forget the features count.

Go and demo some PJs and buy what you like the look of and works for you :)

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I also have difficulty assuming that someone who would send me this::

your opinion on HItachi projector

Halo there ,

I have been reading your thread , Did you check out teh Hitachi CP-S225 and CP-X275. If yes then whats your opinion on the issue . I am planing to buy either 327 or 275 . Shall be thankfull for your comments.

Jazzartist

could be anything other than someone having a wind-up. What thread were you referring to ? I don't have an open thread on the LCD forum (that I know of). If you are seriously considering the hitachi PJs you mentioned, then that seems to be at complete odds with your recent post on your own thread :

The following are the features I am considering .

Native Resolution : XGA ( Is SVGA good enough?)
    Display : DLP

- you can see why I'm assuming that you're messing around. If this is not the case, the someone on the internet has been rude to you, and I'm sure you'll get over it passably, given time.

I feel you are in a singularly unsuitable position from which to lecture me or anyone else about having respect for members of the forum.

The value of this forum is in the regular members who post and answer questions, express opinions etc. It is devalued by unnecesssary thread-starting (if you really want to know what the relationship between lumens and contrast ratio is, and you couldn't understand the answer you got the first time, then do some research on the net, and come back and make some useful contribution to the forum yourself) and useless posting.

It would probably have been easier to say "get lost".

Sean G.

8. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sean G

1. The PM was intended for some one else it was wrongfully sent to you .

2. As I am still undecided about DLP and LCD so I am considering both.

3. Quote :

The value of this forum is in the regular members who post and answer questions, express opinions etc. It is devalued by unnecesssary thread-starting (if you really want to know what the relationship between lumens and contrast ratio is, and you couldn't understand the answer you got the first time, then do some research on the net, and come back and make some useful contribution to the forum yourself) and useless posting.

It would probably have been easier to say "get lost".

As to your comment I am refering it to the moderator and I consider it as violation of the Borads rule no. 1.
    Which is as follows
    Post libellous, insulting, antagonistic, racist, aggressive or otherwise abusive remarks about any individual or company .

The moderator will see to it .

Jazzartist

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

I can hardly wait - I would love to have someone parse the following:

And tell me what is either "libellous, insulting, antagonistic, racist, aggressive or otherwise abusive " in relation to an individual or a company.............. !!!!

You cautioned me to have respect for the members of the forum (!), and I replied with my view of the value of the forum, as expressed above, including my view that it is devalued by unnecessary thread-starting and useless posting. I included a suggestion, that you could do some research yourself and make a contribution to the forum..........this was by way of explaining what I would view as useful posting.

It probably would have been easier to tell you to "get lost"........ but I didn't - I chose instead to explain my position.

Sean G.

10. Mike

Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned a few projectors at the moment using a Panasonic PT-AE300 the BEST projector I have ever had, Pic is STUNNING !!
    here is a review for your interest......

Panasonic Strikes Back: The Hot PT-L300U
    Evan Powell, January 16, 2003

In the last couple of months we've seen two inexpensive widescreen LCD projectors hit the market--the Sanyo PLV-Z1 and the Sony HS10. Both have been very impressive entries. But now Panasonic strikes back with a dynamo of its own, the new PT-L300U. In this review we will refer to the unit as the PT-L300U or just the L300U for short. But note that this same machine is also sold by Panasonic's Consumer division as the PT-AE300.

The PT-L300U is the latest 16:9 widescreen format projector to hit the market at street prices under $2000. And like previous Panasonic machines used for home theater, it delivers truly exceptional value for the money.

Product Overview

The L300U features three 0.7" native widescreen LCD panels in 960x540 resolution. This is the new "1/4 HD" format, so called because the native HDTV 1080i signal of 1920x1080 can be compressed exactly 50% in both the horizontal and vertical dimensions. The advantage is that it yields a particularly clean scaling of HDTV.

The L300U is rated at 800 ANSI lumens of brightness and 800:1 contrast, the combination of which delivers a sparkling image in a typical home theater setup. Lamp life in full power mode is 2000 hours, but in low power mode (the preferred way to run it), Panasonic claims you will get up to 5,000 hours.

At just 6.4 lbs, this is one of the more compact of the home theater projectors on the market. Viewed from the top it is almost square, measuring about 11" in both length and width. It stands just 3.2" high. The casework is dark gray. There is no fancy high-style design work here, just a simple unassuming little box. All the visual drama of the L300U is packed inside. It shows up on the screen.

The L300U takes 525i (480i), 625i, 525p (480p), 750p (720p), 1125i (1080i). Color systems include NTSC, NTSC 4.43, PAL, PAL-M, PAL-N, PAL60, and SECAM.

It comes with a 1.2x manual zoom and focus lens. Throw distance is relatively short. A 100" diagonal 16:9 image can be achieved from a lens-to-screen distance of 10.2 to 12 feet. Note however that the cooling system vents exhaust out the back of the unit. That means you cannot restrict rear clearance by mounting this product in a bookcase or on a rear wall shelf without risk of heat build-up. It needs at least 18" of space behind the unit to allow for adequate heat dissipation.

The connection panel is on the rear of the unit. It offers an array of connection options, including one composite jack, one S-video port, one DVI-D input, one 15-pin VGA input, and a set of three RCAs for component video. There is also a set of audio input jacks to drive the single 2-watt onboard speaker should the need arise.

There is an SD memory card slot on the L300 as well. It enables you to load pictures or presentation data that have been stored on an SD card via a digital camera or computer. The SD card is a Panasonic product. The memory card reader on the L300U will read only SD cards. It is not compatible with Compact Flash, or other competitive formats such as Sony's Memory Stick.

The L300U has several pre-programmed operating modes including Dynamic, Cinema 1, Cinema 2, Music, Sports, and Natural. In addition to these you have the ability to set your own calibrations and save them in three user memories. Picture controls include contrast, brightness, color, tint, sharpness, color temperature, and black level and white level gamma adjustment. Color temperature can be altered with separate contrast and brightness controls on red and blue. With a PC or DVI signal, there is additional independent white balance control on red, green, and blue.

The L300U's remote control is small and easy to use once you get used to it. It has back-lighting for convenient use in the dark. Range is excellent (over 40 feet), and the projector's responsiveness to it is virtually immediate. The remote lets you select three input categories: video, which toggles between composite and S-video; component, which selects the component input, and PC, which toggles between the VGA and DVI ports.

Aspect ratio control can be toggled via a button on the remote, as can the picture mode. A freeze button freezes the video image. A "Normal" button causes all settings to default to factory presets. However it is not active unless you are already in a calibration menu, so you need not worry about hitting it by accident in the middle of a movie.

Horizontal and vertical keystone adjustments are also available either through the menu or via a button on the remote. This enables you to set the projector off axis from the screen and still square up the picture. As with almost all other projectors with this feature, the additional scaling required for keystone adjustment softens the image. Thus for best video performance, the projector should be placed so that no keystone adjustment is required.

Performance

There are several striking aspects to the L300U's image and performance. First and foremost is the remarkable lack of pixelation. From a distance of 1.5x the screen width, there is no screendoor effect and no visible pixel structure. In this regard it is the best we've seen relative to its resolution. The absence of pixelation in the image matches that of the higher resolution WXGA products like the Sony HS10 and Epson TW100. We did not expect to see this.

The other key advantage of the L300U is that contrast is the highest we've seen in any LCD projector, rivaling that of the much more expensive Sanyo PLV-70 and Sony VPL-VW12HT. Blacks are rendered as true black, and shadow details open up with definition that is not seen on other LCD projectors anywhere near this price range.

Color decoding is overall extremely good. The green and blue channels are virtually perfect. Red has a slight orange bias and is just a bit weak, but the error is not enough to complain about. (It is the reviewer's job to nit-pick.)

Another important area in which the L300U excels: fan noise. This projector in low power mode is the quietest of any projector in its class. Noise is very low in both volume and pitch, making it a non-issue.

As far as actual light output is concerned, the L300U varies like all other projectors based upon calibration. The brightest configuration is Dynamic mode with light output and fan on high. We measured actual lumen output at 610 in this mode. Switching from Dynamic to Cinema 1 for better contrast and color balance dropped the lumen output to 467. From this point, dropping it into low power/low fan mode reduces lumen output by another 15% to 392. These numbers don't sound dazzling, but the fact is that due to the solid black level and good contrast you can fill up a 100" diagonal screen with a lot of sparkle.

The L300U has DVI-D input, so you can use a computer with DVI output as a DVD player for the cleanest possible DVD signal. Internal deinterlacing on the L300 is very good, but you will get a sharper image from a progressive scan DVD player or HTPC.

With regard to HDTV, this projector is not HDCP compatible. That means you can't use the DVI output on your HDTV receiver if the material being broadcast is HDCP protected. Not a big deal however. You can input HDTV through both the VGA and component ports for truly awesome results. We watched a Carol Burnett special the other day in 1080i. Carol would have been mortified to see how the L300U rendered every little wrinkle around her eyes in amazing detail. Yes, it would be nice to have HDCP compatibility, but given the price/performance ratio of the L300U and the quality of HDTV analog, we won't miss it a bit.

Conclusion

Panasonic has combined all of the vital elements needed for resounding success—excellent contrast, plenty of brightness for home theater, no pixelation, no fan noise, small, easy to install, all for a street price under the magic $2,000 barrier. Dollar for dollar it is one of the best values we've ever seen in a projector. We are happy to add this beautiful new machine to our list of highly recommended products. Click for specs, dealers, and current street prices.

11. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there Jazzartist, it's useful to know what price you are willing to pay else the information you get may not be relevant.

CaM

12. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cameronl,

Thanks for your response. I am willing to pay maximum US $ 2500.
    You see we dont have Local agent for most of the Projector companies . Only handfull of Pjs are avialable and they are mostly for office use with computer . Our market is ellers market and they dictate the price . The duty is high and the customs is notorius . On top of that the goods are stolen from the Airport . Our only way out is when we travel abroad or we ask someone to buy for us when they are traveling abroad . So people like me have to ask lot of question to collect good idea about the product , because when I will ask someone to buy for me I will not be able to see the demo myself so the opinion of the community is vital for me . Anyway thanks again for your interest and shall be gretful for your response form you .

Jazzartist