1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Level (Speakon) Connection

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cR4cKF0x 5TevE, Jan 21, 2005.

1. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Help!!

My BK XLS200 (DF, light oak) arrived today :clap: and it is fantastic.

However, the High Level connection has arrived with just 'bare cables': do I need to add "spades" to the end of these wires to improve the connection to the speaker outputs on my receiver?

If so, will this mean a trip to Halfords or somewhere similar??

Thanks in advance guys.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I didn't. I just used the bare wires but you can add some spades on if you wish.

3. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i just have the bare wires connected up , works fine

4. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Bare wires here too and all is good.

What I am puzzling with at the moment is whether it is using the high or low level signal when I'm in 5.1 mode.

The low level connector is in my DSP-E800 and the high level is across the front l/r terminals on my stereo amp. So that (presumably) means that in 5.1 mode it will be getting both signals.

I assume that it doesn't make much difference either way but haven't had time to play with the two gain controls to see which is driving it and whether there is any impact in sound during movie playback.

Grateful for any comments...

5. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    I'm trying to work out the same thing: i.e. whether it is using the High level or line level input. I think (!!) that only when I have a Digital source (DVD or the 'select' channels on Sky+ is it using the line level input, the majority of the time it is using the low level input.

Also, if I turn the crossover frequency to maxium (i.e. relying the amps bass management) it seems like all of the sound is coming through the subwoofer: is that possible??

6. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    What will happen, when playing dvds, is that the sub will get extra information from the stereo amp which it would miss using the LFE channel on the processsor alone. All in all, it should be an advantage.

Brian

7. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Gravygrange

A bit of fiddling with both gain controls in 5.1 mode last night (whilst watching Attack of the Clones) suggested that both lines are being used - both had some effect on the amount of bass.

I guess this means that whatever my high level setting is from my stereo amp, I can't go any lower for low level via the 5.1 amp, though I could take movies higher. For safety / sanity I have set the high level gain to a position which feels comfortable for music and have set the low level to about the same position...

I have Emailed Tom at BK about this but not had a response yet. I'll let you know if he gets back to me.

When I turned the crossover up to maximum I could also hear well into the mid-range through the sub (not a great experience!). Since my stereo amp has no bass management I've had to set the crossover to about 80Hz.

Like with gain, since in movie mode the sub will take some signal from the stereo amp, I can't rely on the 5.1 amp's bass management.

I've still not dared to do much with the phase control other than leave it at zero!

I think I need to play a bit more with the controls anyway - I listened to Thunder's Backstreey Symphony this morning and the bass drum thuds just a bit too much for comfort. Whether this is because the sub has run in more now, or just a setting that needs changing, I don't have the experience to tell!

8. Prometheus

Prometheus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am having a similar experience. I have just put it own to the sub breaking in and the cable burning in as well so I find myself turning down the gain a fraction from time to time to prevent that unpleasant booming rumble.

Please please could someone let me know how the phase control should work, as I find it very difficult to discern what changes are occuring when I change the phase, even dramatically. So I have taken to using it set at the halfway mark to even my odds. (god I know that sounds crazy). Please could one of you knowledgeable folks give us an insight. Thanks in advance.

:lease:

9. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    I've just had a flash of inspiration: I'm using my BK with both the high and level connections into the same AV receiver (NAD T770). Low level via the sobwoofer out phono connection, and the high level connected to my front (main) speaker outlet terminals.
    The only criticism that I have of the NAD is the lack of setup flexibility: my speaker options are subwoofer yes/no, and whether I have a large, small, or no centre speaker. I have said 'yes' to the subwoofer option, and set the centre speaker to small.
    Am I confusing the sub (like Prometheus mine 'blends' in with my light oak laminate flooring so I think it might be disorientated enough)? In other words, shall I rip out the high level connection and rely just on the low level one since they both seem to be doing the same job?

10. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    to this novice user's eyes it sounds like you could do this since they are coming from the same amp.

I have a stereo amp and a surround amp but given that I am taking signal via high level from the stereo amp for music and movies - and I can't make use of my surround amp's bass management - I'm tempted to remove the low level connection and stick to the high level only...

Saying that, I've just bought a Rotel RMB985 MkII (my neighbours are going to hate me) so I will end up with:

For Music
    Source -> new preamp -> front R/L inputs on 985 -> speakers

For front channels of movies:
    DVD -> E800 -> new preamp ->front r/l inputs on 985 -> speakers

For centre & rears
    DVD -> E800 ->985 -> speakers

For sub
    ??? - should I stick with high level only again, direct from the 985? I can't rely on low level only since this would be from the E800 which is not used for music & the 985 doesn't seem to have a low level port.