1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Level Inputs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Wicked Wych, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Wicked Wych

Wicked Wych

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sub is connected as I suppose!! most are using Sub out (amp) to Line Input (sub) :)
    Can someone explain the Hi Level In/Out connections on the back of my sub and when and why I would use them :)
    Plain English please as I am very much a novice :D
    Be gentle with me :smoke:

2. Hareraiser

Hareraiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi level connections are for connecting the sub to the speaker connectors on the amp. That way the speaker connectors receive all of the signal and so do the main speakers and the sub (dependent on the sub's frequency cut off).

Many subs offer this as an alternative to line level connections but REL subs allow both types of connections at once which is useful as the high level connectors are supposed to be better for music.

3. Wicked Wych

Wicked Wych

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit I'm non the wiser :(
    Never even heard of Rel subs:confused: Sorry but I am that much of a novice.
    How too and why would I!
    In a language a 10 year old would understand please :smashin:

Anyone

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Say you had a stereo amp without a subwoofer out. You would connect a piece of speaker cable from the sub's high level inputs to the same connectors you use for the left/right speakers on the amp. It's the only way you could connect the sub and have it's volume controlled by the amp at the same time as the speakers.

REL subs can be found here they have a resource section that has info on subwoofers.

5. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    So the sub is wired in parallel to the main speakers ... how does it control the x'over frequency then ?

I can understand if it was wired in series ie, amp > sub > speakers ...

or am i just not very electrically clued up ?

Jon

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    In high level configuration the amp cannot control the crossover frequency (in many cases this is coming from an amp that has no speaker management) - the signal is passed "as is" to the sub. On many subs you have seperate high and low level controls so that you can tweak things for each input.

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    My PS1000 used the same level and crossover controls for high or low level inputs.

The high inputs didn't filter the bass so the power handling of the main speakers wasn't improved. I just dialed the sub to come in under the mains low frequency cut-off and got the extra bass extension I was after.

IIRC there were/are some subs that had passive crossovers between the high level in/out connectors. Though if the sub wasn't part of a sub/sat set they'd have to be a generic design and wouldn't be matched to the various main speakers that would be attached.

I think most high level inputs are just resistors that lower the speaker voltage down to some thing that an electronic circuit can handle. Am I right in thinking this?

8. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding is that if you have high level In & Out on your sub, you can connect the sub 'In' directly to the left and right hand out (speaker) connections on the back of your amp. You would then connect your speakers to the 'Out' connectors on the sub. The sub is then supposed to filter out and reproduce the low frequencies based on the crossover setting on the back of the sub and pass only the frequencies above this set point to the speakers.

Allegedly gives better reproduction across the frequency range. Try it, if it sounds better to you, then use it.

Before I bought a CHT15, my Pro50 was connected using both a high and low level feed from the amp. Unfortunately it doesn't have high level out but I've still left the high level in connected and IMHO it compliments the Gallos quite nicely.

If you need more info, it would probably help if you list the Make & Model of your amp and sub.

Rgds

Paul

9. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I've got the ps1000. Is it possible to connect one sub to another, sort of daisy-chain them if they've got the two outputs?

Cheers all

Glenn

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    If you use the first sub's high level OUTPUT terminals to daisy chain a second sub. Then the second sub will be robbed of bass below about 80Hz. Not a lot of point in doing that.

You should use the same high level terminals on the first sub for the second sub's cables. (connected in parallel) So no filtration takes place on the second sub's input signal.

Note that this is NOT the same as running two conventional speakers in parallel. Both subs are presumed to be active subs. Active subs amplify themselves so they do NOT draw power from the AV or stereo amp.

Passive subs (and speakers) should NOT be run in parallel or they'll overload the amplifier. Since they draw too much power at a very low impedance and will cause overheating of the amplifier.

Nimby

11. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Cheers mate, all a bit clearer now!