high HD temps

jasonr2000

Novice Member
hi guys

im wondering if 50'c is 2 high for a Hard Drive ??

as both my other drives are showing temps of 34'c

but my samsung one is saying its at 50'c

thanks for any help

shadowboxer

Maximum safe operating temperatures for most hard drives is less than 60ºC. If your getting 50ºC when the system is at idle (not gaming/number crunching for example) in the Winter then I'd think about relocating it to another HDD bay that has better airflow. Likewise, low temperatures <30ºC increase failure frequency.

*edit*

Specifically what drive is it?

jasonr2000

Novice Member
ok well the 2 drives with the lower temps are

WD green drives

the one in question is a samsung HD080HJ

im not really useing it for anything other than an OS backup

thanks for the reply shadow

shadowboxer

Well the drive is an older 7200RPM drive so not that suprising it gets warmer than the slower spinning green drives. Can't find data on max safe operating temp but I'd err on the side of caution if it's 50ºC @idle with cool ambient temps.

jasonr2000

Novice Member
thanks for the reply im going to pull the drive i think as idleing at 50'c is a bit high even tho my internal case temps are 36'c with 2 120mm fans at the front and 2 at the rear

dont get me wrong the smart is reporting no problem but the temps are a bit on the high side time to put it to rest i think :) thanks again man my fans are running at 1050rpm so they aint at the fastest speed but it keeps everything else cool

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
thanks for the reply im going to pull the drive i think as idleing at 50'c is a bit high even tho my internal case temps are 36'c with 2 120mm fans at the front and 2 at the rear

Well the high ambient temperatures in your case explains why it's that warm (for comparison my WD Greenpower drive is running at 25°C idle at the moment).

There are specifications for your drive here showing that it's maximum recommended operating temperature is 60°C so you should be fine running it like that. You can run a disk benchmark if you like to see what it goes up to during load but unless it's significantly over I wouldn't worry about it.

Berties

Banned
50 is hot- especially now in winter, mine are around 24-27 degrees (just checked). In the NAS they're about 45-50 (crap cooling) during summer. I try to only use it for a short while then turn it off.

jasonr2000

Novice Member
Thanks guys pulled the drive and not useing it thanks for the info tho going to try and get another tb drive

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom