1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High gain screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jaybeegee, Jun 25, 2003.

1. jaybeegee

jaybeegee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just come across dhrscreens website and remarkably they do a 16:9 7 foot 1.8 gain electric screen for £450 including vat and delivery.
    Has anyone any experience of this or any high gain screens as i am really tempted ( given up on kramers projecta screens ). i understand about the viewing angles ( in this case 45 degrees each side of centre of screen ) but even those viewing out of this high gain angle area with still get normal 1 gain picture - will they not ? would they get any distortion of image ?
    dhr claim no bright spotting. this bright or hot spotting is something i dont fully understand, does it mean a part of screen will be brighter then another ? and can the no brightspotting claim be made for a high gain screen?
    i am impatient for a screen now and want to put my hs10 thru its paces - help please

jay

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    IMO don't do it!!
    I had a 1.5 gain screen with my VW11 for a while and was glad to get shut of it. The whites hurt your eyes because they are so bright, and the blacks become very washed out.

I now can sit for hours without any eye strain with my 0.9 gain grey screen. Blacks and depth of field are miles better.

Sorry, but if anyone offered me a 1.8 gain screen for use with a lamp based projector like the HS10, I'd need payment to take it off their hands!

Ok, maybe I'm going overboard here, but I really think you'll end up kicking yourself.

Jules