1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High endish with upconversion recommendations?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Paul Reading, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for an amp wihich will pass through and switch component and upconvert other video sources. I want to mate it with a DVD with progressive scan pal and NTSC output.

If I have not made a mistake then the following forfill this requirement:-

Ssytem 1

Pioneer DV-757Ai + Pioneer VSA-AX10i

System 2

Denon

DVD-2900 with either AVR3803 or AVC-A1SR

As far as I know there arn't any other systems that meet these specs discounting Tag.

Please correct me and pass comment on the better choice. I am lanning to connect these to a barco Cine7. My existing setup uses an Arcam DV88+ but it is quite fussy about DVD's made from my Apple mac and camcorder and it is very difficult to intergrate with learning remotes, which is a shame as the picture is fantastic.

2. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those are the systems that are currently available. Perhaps worthwhile checking out are the new Sony 5000 and 9000 series as they provide that capability. And there has been mention on this board about the Yamaha DSP-Z9 as well which has on paper amazing specs. No just upconversion but also de-interlacing.
    For details regarding the sony's check out http:\\www.avland.co.uk

Cheers,

Zero Cool

3. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    The new Yamaha RX-V1400 and 2400 has automatic room calibration, THX, and composite and s-video upconversion to component (including 2 components and 7s-video and 7composites) and deinterlacer. For full specs see the link below, and from what I can see these amps have almost everything that the flagship Z9 has. Z9 has 4 more components (but at 1400 and 2400, with 14 inputs that can be converted up to comp, there is no need for more comp), no THX Ultra 2 and no firewire (any use?) and less power but a much higher price tag.

And I don't think the prices for 1400 and 2400 will be scary.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...tp://www.yamaha.co.jp/news/2003/03072401.html

Sony 5000 doesn't have room calibration, THX, 2 components and only 5s-video and 5composites, but has video upconversion. 9000 does have DVI as a big bonus.

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/3739

Pioneer AX5 has auto room cal, THX, proprietry i-link and usb pc connection, but prob no upconversion of video signals.

But neither Sony, Yamaha or Pioneer have audio delay feat, so Denon still have an upper hand in that area.

If you are interested in DVI, then 9000 might be a good bet, and if you need audio delay then Denon is the answer, otherwise Yamaha seemed to have the most comprehensive specs.

Obviously, it seems that you want to buy the same brand for both DVD and Amp, then perhaps Yamaha is out of the game as they haven't yet released a high end DVD player.

Wasabi

4. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Not necessarily, it's just if you are buying the Denon, the 2900 would be an obvious choice. Buying the same brand means that the remote controls are likely to be compatible.The same is true of the Pioneer, the 757Ai would be obvious. Don't mention the Pronto, the kids dropped it on the floor and it does not work any more and I am not buying another until they have grown up!

Seriously, anyone who hasn't used an amp for video transcoding hasn't lived. It has transformed my life. It is now so easy to keep the video and sound source hand in hand. I no longer have to tell the plasma to change source etc. My only bugbear is that one has top select aspect ratios manually and children and old ladies find this difficult.

I've never been a hugh fan of Yamaha products, but it is nice to see them back on form. As for Sony, I like the Mini Disc's and camcorders but I am not a fan of their hifi products.

What is clear is that the manufacturers have reconised that video transcoding is going to be as important as Dolby Digital and I think we are going to see as one of the growth featurers in homecinema amps from this point forward. How many people have bought the 3803 instead of the AX2011 just because of the transcoding?

At this point it look like the AX10i wil have to be the unit of choice for my set-up.

5. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Paul,

I understand your reasons now.

Coolio that you will buy the heavyweight king ax10i (costs more than whole of my set up - hehe).

If you choose Pio set up, then you could go for the new Pio 434 plasma out in the autumn and you have another totally compatible unit, or for the vision are you going for a proj?

Wasabi

6. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barco Cine7 or Cine7LT I am finding it difficult to chose the 7 is £3k more than the LT but can handle HDTV if we ever get it. Obviously BluRay is around the corner but will they release any material for BluRay I wold say it's not guaranteed in Europe, but then again what do I know?

I note that they did a demo of HDTV on a satellite in the last couple of weeks.

7. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It depends if you are a pioneer buyer (as in want the latest first) and how for how many years are you intending to keep the set up?

Although they have launched blueray recorders in Japan, I think it will be quite a while before they become affordable in Europe, perhaps 5 years, as dvd recorders are only in their 2-3rd generation and the manufacturers wants to capitalise on their R&D. I also think that it will be a while before the moviemakers will go big on blueray as they make big bucks on selling DVDs at the moment, way more than what they make on the cinemas. Hopefully I am wrong because blueray is what every consumer needs.

HDTV, well I reckon it will take ages before UK would go ahead of HDTV, if you think of how long they take to make broadband a standard in everyones homes. So unless you have future HTDV compatible satellite and wants to see European programs, why not save the pennies for the next generation set up.

Sorry for being a bit pessimistic. Anyway this is my opinion, others are welcome to critisize me ;p

Wasabi,

8. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Wasabi, you really got me excited there and reaching for my switch card....but than I read the press release...Where does it say that in addition to upconversion or transcoding it also deinterlaces the picture.......

Please, please tell me I have read it wrong, or even better that you have read it wrong as well and that it does scaling in addition to de-interlacing and 'upconversion'.... ;-)

9. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    dejongi,

I'm unfortunately not an a/v expert but am I right that you expect the upconversion to be from s-video or composite to component.

As for the deinterlacing, this is what Reiner copied from avsforum
    "It has an INTERNAL faroudja DCDi scaler/de-interlacer that outputs either 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i from any NTSC source."

Extract from the press release (obs translated with babelfish)
    Note 4 "D4 terminal"
    High picture quality it transmits the image signal as the independent signal of Y/Pb/Pr, it is the connected terminal for the component signal. D1 - There is the standard to D5, as for D1 usual television broadcasting and DVD (480i), as for D2 progressive broadcast and progressive DVD (480p) is, but HDTV (generally known digital hi-vision) the fact that it corresponds is D3 and D4. As for D3 as for 1080i and D4 it corresponds to the transmission to 720p. D5 is 1080p of the highest picture quality, but presently there is no product with only standard.

Does this answer your questions or am I totally flying?

Wasabi

10. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D :D Your flying wasabi. The quote you just made from the babelfish translation is simply saying: The component switching is capable of handling all resolutions up to 1080i without distorting the image.

There is not a single word in there about de-interlacing and scaling....

Don't you just love it when a company is hyping up quite standard features that can be explained in a single sentence to something that takes a whole paragraph... LOL

I'll have to take a look at the AVSFORUM what Reiner is about. Because if that is true it will be very interesting....Perhaps he is talking about the Z9 and not the 1400/2400...

Zero Cool