High End Wireless home Cinema

babarrun

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a fully wireless home theatre solution. I've found a few manufacturers but don't know much about them and wondering if anyone has experience.
The budget has to be under GBP 15,000

any other suggestions would be very helpful. if you know of a device that can make a speaker wireless and maintain quality that would really open up my options and I could go with the 804Ds and 805's.

Harmon Kardon Citation
Citation Tower for L+R
Citation Multibeam 700 for Center
Citation Sub
Citation Surround for Rear
Citation Amp for Ceiling

System Audio
SA legend 60.2 silverback for L+R
and other speakers of theirs using the Home Stereo Hub for wireless

Buchardt
A700 or A500 for L+R
S400 for Rear

Axiim LINK 5.1 WM Series Bundle

Enclave Audio

Sonos
Immersive Set with Arc (1 x ARC, 2 x Sonos One, 1x Sub)

B&O
BeoLab 18 and 19. + BeoLab 3 for center. B&O Celestial for surround rears

Also, any suggestions on surround processors to consider would be great. The room is very large but the seating area is a square of 20'. Viewing distance is 14'

Last edited:
High end and wireless, choose one.

Usually with the wireless systems you still have power cable for the speakers. So you only get rid of the speaker wires and pay high price.

You should be able to get really clean install pulling the wires under the floor and then inside wall to speaker terminal wall plates. Then you have speaker close to wall with banana plugs to connect. So you wouldn´t see any wires really.

Another option could be in-wall speakers, building false wall at the front if required. You could also do 5.1 system with in-ceiling surround channels which is quite popular in US for large open spaces where there is no walls near by for the effect channels. You can get quite darn good in-wall system which doesn´t have any wires visible. In-wall subwoofers do cost ton, but perhaps you could have one / two subwoofers in corners of the room close to wall socket so again no wires would be visible.

thanks for the reply.

So I have power switches nearby and giving power will not be an issue.

The entire room has been done to a very high spec and we cannot cut the carpet as the same runs thru most of the apartment. If I could I definitely would take the route of hiding wires but that's not possible.

the only wires I can do are the ones pre-wired which are the front ones. I also cannot install any thing in wall anymore. I have 3 sonos speakers currently in the ceiling - for center and rears , however I don't want my Center to be high up in the ceiling.

We do not want to do any more work in the home which requires cutting things etc and having people in to install which will take up more than a day.

I've attached a pic, please ignore the TV placement as that's going to be replaced.

Attachments

• 5a0ae5c4-d2d9-4941-9c56-3f1b44d5d0ad.JPG
    5a0ae5c4-d2d9-4941-9c56-3f1b44d5d0ad.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 750f27af-d7ba-4b00-b4b0-f95c53afd135.JPG
    750f27af-d7ba-4b00-b4b0-f95c53afd135.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 117
Pretty much impossible to simply 'plonk' a wireless multi-channel system into your room/any room to avoid having to install/integrate the system into your room.

With your requirement for no/minimal work I think I'd be sticking with a high quality 2.0 or 2.1 system to partner the TV - your budget gives you plenty of scope for something which sounds great and fits with your aesthetic.

Joe

WiSA is your friend with this one.

Multi Brand and upto 8Channels.

It is only currently wireless only, so you could not integrate those in-ceilings - YET!
There is a manufacturer working on a hybrid system that will allow you to run a mix of wired / amped speakers and WiSA Speakers, so you can have the best of both. Just not sure I should say who as it could still be some way off.

Currently you would uses the SoundSend which has a single HDMI Connection, from a eARC source. but at the Munich HighEnd show later last month SystemAudio showed me a prototype Hub with 3 HDMI In, 2x Optical and 1x Line/Phone Inputs which is slated for late this, early next year.

We have supplied a number of SystemAudio's SliverBack systems and just Centres to pair with B&O, everyone has loved them.

Actually, if you can get power to them, you could swap the In-Ceilings for LitheAudio Active In-Ceilings with the WiSA Add-on, and that would allow you to use them.

HTH

Chris.

Pretty much impossible to simply 'plonk' a wireless multi-channel system into your room/any room to avoid having to install/integrate the system into your room.

With your requirement for no/minimal work I think I'd be sticking with a high quality 2.0 or 2.1 system to partner the TV - your budget gives you plenty of scope for something which sounds great and fits with your aesthetic.

Joe
thanks Joe. wish I could plonk something down.

Movies/TV are 80%+ of our usage. so while I like the idea of the 804D's on their own I would miss the surround. specially the center in movies.
I could use the ceiling speakers for surround instead of for ATMOS. from what I've read I shouldn't use a center in the ceiling which if worked would be a solution :)

It is only currently wireless only, so you could not integrate those in-ceilings - YET!
There is a manufacturer working on a hybrid system that will allow you to run a mix of wired / amped speakers and WiSA Speakers, so you can have the best of both. Just not sure I should say who as it could still be some way off.

Currently you would uses the SoundSend which has a single HDMI Connection, from a eARC source. but at the Munich HighEnd show later last month SystemAudio showed me a prototype Hub with 3 HDMI In, 2x Optical and 1x Line/Phone Inputs which is slated for late this, early next year.

We have supplied a number of SystemAudio's SliverBack systems and just Centres to pair with B&O, everyone has loved them.

Actually, if you can get power to them, you could swap the In-Ceilings for LitheAudio Active In-Ceilings with the WiSA Add-on, and that would allow you to use them.

HTH

Chris.
Thanks Chris. really helpful.
I checked out WiSA and they have several speakers one of which I am strongly considering- BeoVision Eclipse 65" (which comes with a decent center / surround), BeoLab 18 for L+R, Beolab19 sub and the B&O Celestial for the ceiling surround. Expensive but good looking and solves the problem.

I'd like to install everything this summer so can't wait for next year. if it's a good product - can you name the manufacturer?

I would love to learn more about the System Audio implementation. can you PM me details so I may be able to connect with you on your experience with installation of System Audio.

from what I've read I shouldn't use a center in the ceiling which if worked would be a solution :)
If you're going to go for a minimum 5.1 then having the centre in the ceiling is a no go in my opinion. Far too high and firing the wrong way. The audio from any centre needs to be as close as is possible to the TV, underneath is best. In that way the audio, especially dialogue which is heavily dependent on the centre speaker, gets locked to the screen.

I'd rather run a pseudo centre by utilising the stereo pair rather than a highly compromised ceiling speaker.

Wisa is the way to go, I have the beolab18's, and 19 sub (A must) then H/K citations to the rear, SystemAudio's SliverBack for centre running into the Soundsend WiSA box (I have a photo in the speaker section), then HDMI (ARC) into my TV, But not only that I have connected my reference turntable to the soundsend box via optical (ADC box required), so I can now switch from A/V to Hi-Fi all controlled via my tablet and phone.

Wisa is the way to go, I have the beolab18's, and 19 sub (A must) then H/K citations to the rear, SystemAudio's SliverBack for centre running into the Soundsend WiSA box (I have a photo in the speaker section), then HDMI (ARC) into my TV, But not only that I have connected my reference turntable to the soundsend box via optical (ADC box required), so I can now switch from A/V to Hi-Fi all controlled via my tablet and phone.
this is such a helpful reply. thank you. I have lots of questions if you don't mind.

I'm going to look into your setup. do you have pictures by any chance? (I can't find it)
did you go with this setup primarily because of wires?

what are you using as a TV?
can you use the SoundSend with a processor?
why did you go with the beolabs and not system audio for the other speakers as that's a few different speakers.
did you consider the BeoLab 17's for rear which are also WiSA compatible
when did you put the system together?
is this your main movie/listening room?

any more details you can share would be super. what your reccomendations would be for me given your experience would be really helpful.

Link :- What speakers do YOU have? List/Photos only, no chat!

Scroll down to almost the bottom of the page.
TV, Is a new Hisense 55a9gtuk (Amazing TV).
In my view, the centre speaker is the most import one to have for vocals, and I do not think you can better the SA.
The rears are the least important, and the citation is small and inconspicuous.
The sound send is an incredible piece of equipment, not only have i connected my reference turntable, but I have added 'Audirvana Studio' and can now stream from my tablet and laptop wirelessly with Tidal, complicated but once you have set it up it is amazing.
Love my Beolab18's, they are keepers.
System only just finished over a period of 1 year, you have to do your homework!

pm sent.

Hope that helps, anything else I can help you with please do let me know.

Should have added very wife friendly especially now that I sold on my Coffin like speakers on, The Biolabs on the wall also take up less space, and yes No cables can be seen as they are run in simple adhesive plastic ducting and hidden behind my sideboard.

Wireless sucks period. If you want high end forget about Wireless.
Speakers perform at its best when using wires.
If your unwilling to have wires then you are unwilling to have speakers around the room as intended by the sound mixes for tv and movies.

Use white trunking to hide the wires along the skirting boards.

If you still unwilling find another room.

For those dissing wireless - take a moment to breath a little :)

DALI released the Equi platform earlier this year.
It takes their popular/reliable Oberon and Rubicon C family and gives it up to 7.1 decode (no ATMOS though however).

If you're looking at a native wireless solution that's good for 2 channel (i.e. it has BluOS streaming built in) and a smart hub, it could be a good solution for you?

I did a little video on the setup of the Equi solution - it's the same for Rubicon C as well as Oberon C.

Rubicon C comes in around the £14,500 for a 7.1 solution, whereas the Oberon C in 5.1 above is a lot cheaper. Performance is good - reliable wireless, no noise/audio compression that's noticable when comparing to similarly priced HT solutions. It also has the DALI sound - which if you like, then even better!

As you already have Sonos speakers in your ceiling have you considered using a Sonos AMP to power two good quality passive speakers for the front speakers with a phantom centre channel and then one or two Sonos Subs? It's only 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 though at max?

I've used a set up like this previous with Play 1's (|and later Play 5's) and one Sub before adding second and it was very effective to my ears. This now resides in my family room and it's probably overkill to be honest.

Another alternative that may be worth considering is the Sony HT-A9 with the SW-5 Subwoofer. The DSP is excellent at creating a sound bubble and the speakers are relatively inconspicuous. I've just installed this system in my lounge.

Please ignore the two Sonos Play 5's also in the first picture.The speakers closest to the TV are the Sony HT-A9 front speakers. It has my wife's approval and has a very clean look. Sound quality with the Sub is good to my ears.

Last edited:
Hi there,
Have you had any issues with the soundsend. I am have serious volume/dynamic compression issues when using Dolby Digital (DD+ and Atmos) or one of the build-in sound modes. Everything is fine when using 2ch PCM. Everytime there are loud sound, the entire volume lowers, just to come back up a few seconds later.

Very annoying. It's connected to a Sony AG9 and a set of Beolab 28's. I'm running latest FW 1.39.

Hi there,
Have you had any issues with the soundsend. I am have serious volume/dynamic compression issues when using Dolby Digital (DD+ and Atmos) or one of the build-in sound modes. Everything is fine when using 2ch PCM. Everytime there are loud sound, the entire volume lowers, just to come back up a few seconds later.

Very annoying. It's connected to a Sony AG9 and a set of Beolab 28's. I'm running latest FW 1.39.

Hi, No problem here and I have the same Fw Ref, have you tried a factory reset? If not, then you can e-mail support at [email protected] They (Eric) has been a real help when I asked about connection of my turntable.
Hope that helps.

For those dissing wireless - take a moment to breath a little :)

DALI released the Equi platform earlier this year.
It takes their popular/reliable Oberon and Rubicon C family and gives it up to 7.1 decode (no ATMOS though however).

If you're looking at a native wireless solution that's good for 2 channel (i.e. it has BluOS streaming built in) and a smart hub, it could be a good solution for you?

I did a little video on the setup of the Equi solution - it's the same for Rubicon C as well as Oberon C.

Rubicon C comes in around the £14,500 for a 7.1 solution, whereas the Oberon C in 5.1 above is a lot cheaper. Performance is good - reliable wireless, no noise/audio compression that's noticable when comparing to similarly priced HT solutions. It also has the DALI sound - which if you like, then even better!

Thanks. This looks very interesting. do you know of a Dali dealer in Central London where I can demo it?

thanks so much. I'd love to demo the top of the line wireless HT setup

Hi, No problem here and I have the same Fw Ref, have you tried a factory reset? If not, then you can e-mail support at [email protected] They (Eric) has been a real help when I asked about connection of my turntable.
Hope that helps.
Strange. I have done several factory resets and spoken to Eric many times, but they have no clue what's going on. So far they haven't been helpful.

In my setup the issue is very clear when I play "bass I love you" from youtube and have either "music"- og "movie"-mode engaged. When the bass sets in, everything is dynamically compressed. Same thing if I feed the Soundsend with a Dolby Digital signal.

HTH

Chris.
Thank you so much Chris. You've been so very helpful in guiding me thru the different options. I would really really recommend reaching out to Chris if you have a problem similar to mine. I almost went with a complete GoldenEar solutions but at the end went with 2 pairs of Bang-Olufsen speakers, a custom center on a 77" LG.

Really appreciate your help and offering to let me listen to the system at your place.

so I am finally done with the system and need some help with the receiver. I will be getting the LG g2 77" with a custom triad center. both mounted on a Future Automotion EAD drop lift (for the fireplace, which we are. now keeping). for l+r and sr+sl I am getting 2 pairs of b&o 18s and a sub b&o 19. possible 2-4 ATMOS speakers, maybe just 2.

the amplifier choices I am considering are:
Arcam AVR 31
Anthem MRX 1140
Denon AVC-X8500HA
Marantz SR8015

The room is broken into 2 parts. it is 40 x 20 ft with the fist 24-x 20 by the living room in which the seating area will be about 20'x20' you can get a really good idea from the pictures.
thanks!.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom