1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High end LCD or low end DLP?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GreasyWeasel, Aug 20, 2005.

1. GreasyWeasel

GreasyWeasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm currently in the process of trying to spec a home cinema I want to put together. I have a budget of £5k for the lot which includes speakers, amp, dvd, projector, screen and cabling. I know this is all projector related but I am getting to it honest.
    I believe I have decided on the following:
    Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3B 5.1 Speakers
    Denon 2805 Amp
    Denon 2910 DVD Player

This is where I am now stuck, I was orignally thinking of the Sony HS50 or maybe Panasonic AE700 until a trip to a local AV dealer. Obviously they don't do LCD projectors but they guy basically said that DVD films are crap on LCD and that DLP is the only way to go. He then went on about "you are better off with a low end DLP (infocus 4805/5700) rather than a LCD that is supposedly HD" (his words). Now I understand that he is obviously biased since he's selling them however I was hoping to get some honest impartial advice for you guys. The projector will be in a new loft conversion and light shouldn't be too much of a problem. I will basically be using it mainly for sky, dvds and games with a bit of pc stuff too.

Your advise would be most appreciated.
    :lease:

2. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A strange view, although maybe not if the HD market is just about to take off and leave shops with unsellable low def PJs.

I cannot comment on DLPs since I've never had one (although did notice RBE on a business projector), I understand that they're brighter and have higher contrast. There are, however, many people here with LCDs who would rather refute the "entry level DLP is better than LCD". For myself, I am still very, very happy with a LCD (Sanyo Z2) some 8 months after I've bought it - same use as yours - Sky and DVD.

When 3-chip DLPs are affordable then that'll be the end of LCD (unless some new technology hits the streets) - but for now LCD is a strong contender and viable alternative to DLP. And at entry level pricing, the supported resolutions are significantly better than DLP.

HD-Ready?, anyone?

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    They clearly are biased and/or don't know what they are talking about.

There is no "supposedly" about it - if you want HD for sub 1K, LCD is the only option. The 4805 / H30a etc are great but so are the Z3 / AE700 / TX100. And you get HD with the latter trio, while the former will be scaling down for all they are worth.

If you want to go DLP, go for the Benq 7700. On the cusp of HD I can't understand the logic for going for a SD machine, unless your budget is sub £500...PJ :)

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Many LCD's are brighter then their DLP counterparts...PJ :)

5. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Typical retailer talking sh!t to sell his goods. I think you should 'name and shame' the shop!

6. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once the D5 panelled LCD bad boys hit the shelfs, you will see LCD projos with 5000:1 ratios which will rival the DLPs, for now the DLPs have better contrast but to be honest LCDs offer a cheaper HD alternative and offer excellent quality, my advice,,,,,,,,, WAIT till after CEDIA to see the new LCD machines...

7. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    thats what i'm waiting for allllllllll the new pj's , thats why i bought a cheapie benq 5120 , must say its doing me proud so far , but it will be sold on once i see which way the cards fall in the coming months.

8. GreasyWeasel

GreasyWeasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for all you advice, I knew I could rely on you all. The shop in question was actually a branch of Seven Oaks and I can safely say I will not be going back to give him my custom. The stupid thing is if he hadn't been so patronising and had helped me out a little bit more I could have easily spent the best part of £2k in his store without the PJ or cabling. His loss not mine.

Cheers everyone.

9. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    It strikes me as odd that a salesman from Sevenoaks would suggest that LCD projectors are crap; after all it wasn't that long ago that Sevenoaks sold LCD projectors.

So the only thing that be taken from the salesman’s comment is that Sevenoaks have knowingly sold crap products to the general public. A strange and interesting admission.

Foghorn

Ps The salesman name wasn't Gerald Ratner by any chance?

10. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good old Sevenoaks getting it wrong yet again. I've been to Sevenoaks in Leeds and had the mispleasure of dealing with one of there salesmen who hadn't a clue what he was talking about, and was extremley rude. They seem fine until you mention a PJ they haven't got, in my case it was the Panny 700. I asked if they had any in for viewing and was told - and I quote 'They're sh!t'. I asked him if he'd seen one and he replied 'No, but I know they're sh!t'. It was very strange as a friend and I were being very polite to him. If you want to see how a proper company should act see Benji at http://www.royjowetthomecinema.co.uk/ . 3 of us went for a 2 and a half hour demo of 3 machines a few weeks back and was very happy with his demo room and professional manner.

11. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Have to agree with comments about severnoaks the trained guys are cocky as hell, I was told to keep well away from LCD as he had owned a couple and had loads of bother with sony and dead pixels. I think DLP is better but only because i don't suffer rainbows you must domo both dlp and lcd before you decide.

12. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have vowed never to buy anything from a Sevenoaks store again, they are rude, incompetent and simply not interested in your custom. On no less than 3 separate occasions did I attempt to buy a projector at my local Sevenoaks (Solihull), each time their attitude was so bad that they could not be bother to even do a stock check. In fact my final visit they did not even look me in the eye, preferring to play the games console hooked up to the projector in the demo room. More often than not Sevenoaks ‘Experts’ are spotty teenagers who wouldn’t know a decent product if it smacked them in the face! Steer clear and buy from a forum sponsor.

13. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to a Sevenoaks yesterday. It was odd, the guy knew I'd just bought a DLP pj but he was still going on about how HD LCDs can't handle HD, apparently they're jerky and show loads of artifacts but they just can't refresh quickly enough.

And apparently DLPs have better colour and brightness than LCDs, which isn't what I've heard. When I mentioned that DLP have better contrast he seemed not to know about it.

It'd probably no coincidence that they only have DLP pjs in stock, but the guy can't have been trying to sell me one. So maybe it's not that they'll tell you any old rubbish to make a sale, they genuinely believe this stuff. Where they get the info from is another matter.

The shops are useful to have around though. for auditioning and the odd bit of wiring perhaps. I spent £160 on speaker cabling there yesterday, I'm sure I could have got it much cheaper online but I wanted it then and there. I've just moved my room around to suit the pj more and the speaker cables were no longer long enough.

And the guy did put me on to www.wmvhd.com, which has some very cool HD samples :)

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The only thing jerky is what this guy is spouting...PJ :)

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    GreasyWeasel

I guess the choice you have to make is if YOU prefer 'the look' you achieve with DLP over 'the look' you achieve with LCD or not.

After that you have to decide if you want something that can resolve all of the pixels in a 720P signal or if price dictates that you consider a lower resolution Projector that has 'the look' you prefer.

LCD and DLP have pro's and con's and some folk prefer one over the other and some folk are equally happy with either technology.

I'd avoid any retailer that says only LCD or DLP is valid for you - that's plain stupid advise; and makes things a tad tricky for the salesman if a potential customer is aware of the colour separation (rainbows) some folk see with single chip DLP technology!

I do hope Mr Sevenoaks is reading your post!

Best regards

Joe

16. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I suffered from rainbows & eye strain on single chip DLP, so I was going to go with a PTAE700 or Z3, but I found the image left me cold & I didn't find it very 'filmic' (this is just my experience & I'm sure others have different experiences).

In the end I went back to DLP, but ended up paying twice as much (ouch) as my original budget in order to find a DLP which didn't give me eye strain & rainbows. I am very happy with my purchase.

+ great time to buy since prices are plummeting.

17. eurytus

eurytus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same problem at a branch of Sevenoaks. They had no LCD projectors and I really wanted to see both technologies demo'd. Therefore they decided to tell me that LCD was "crap". In fact my experience was so similar to yours that I suspect that it is official sales blurb that they are given to spout to customers.

18. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    They go on special courses to learn this stuff. ;)