High End DVD Players - Recommendations and thoughts please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MS13, Apr 21, 2005.

1. MS13

MS13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New here and seeking some thoughts of those more experienced before spending a good bit of cash.....

I want to upgrade my CD based Linn based system to a DVD based one. I am working on the principle of spending the largest chunk of cash on the source (DVD).

My priorities are as follows:

1. British Manufacturer
    2. AV Sound Quality
    3. Picture Quality
    4. CD Sound quality

I've had a demo if the Unidisk 1.1 and thought it was fantastic. So, thinking of going Unidisk 1.1, Exotik (when module comes out) & Chakra Power Amp (when it comes out).

Is the Unidisk 1.1 the best Brirtish DVD player around? What else should I consider?

What are peoples experiences of customer service from Linn, Naim, Meridian and Arcam?

Any other recommendations or suggestions for the way I should go? (I don't need to spend all the budget if I don't have too!)

2. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Meridian G98 or 800

Tag DVD32r or FLR

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Go Linn, the best there is (a Tag owner)

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    I agree with Nic. I own the Arcam DV29 and think that is a great DVD player, but if I had the money it would be replaced with the 1.1

Mark.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    I agree with Nic. I own the Arcam DV29 and think that is a great DVD player, but if I had the money it would be replaced with the 1.1

Mark.

6. lfletcher

lfletcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I had a Tag DVD32R and replaced it with a Linn Unidisk 1.1 and it is far superior in all respects.
    Arcam make good machines but arent in the same league as the Unidisks.
    Havent had extensive demos of the Merdian stuff, but what I have seen didnt impress me.
    Never demo'd the Naim DVD player, but their cd players are rather nice (not much help I know)

For an interlaced picture I feel that the Unidisk cant be beaten. It has DVI (although I have had mine modded for SDI) and with CD's people feel that it rivals the Linn CD12.

7. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Meridian service is second to none. See http://www.softronix.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000499.html

Is the Linn as good as Meridian when it comes to CD replay on a DVD player ?

8. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Horses for courses

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    better, much better, Linn, Tag, Meridian in that order

10. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering how much difference is made by the partnering links. Now I have got an 861 - I would be able to use the MHR output of an 800 player, but not presumably the equjivalent proprietary technology of say Linn / Naim / TAG. So in order to heaqr the best out of any of these players - surely you need to listen with at least the partnering processing power rather than just some digital cables into whatever happens around.

Since the amount of kit required to do this back to back must cost about as much as a a nice flat in London, I imagine very few people have done this sort of comparison - or am I wrong?

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    They are the icing on the cake. If a player has a 'link' then they are generally worth using (Tag / Meridian etc) but a good understanding of how these players are performing can be obtained by using the standard links. Comparisons can / have been made but as you have said loads of kit and money needed. The bottom line is all are good performers and quality kit.