High-End AV Receiver Group Test - review discussion

My mrx300 cost me £800 to buy, which was fantastic value. £3k for this one? - go figure.
£4K actually. :)

I agree about Anthem's pricing. I even complained to them on Facebook but never got a response.

I've heard the 1120 just now. Fantastic dynamics and clarity. It was only a brief demo but am going back soon for an in-depth analysis:)

I returned my 850 and got my Denon 7200WA back
Yes the Arcam sounds slightly better with music but most use it as a pre with their own choice of power amp.
Yes Dirac is the Arcams USP but as a stand alone AVR it has limitations which I just couldn't live with.
Certainly I would say the 555 is probably the better and most value for money choice.
A big thanks to Dan at themovierooms for his understanding and exceptional service.

Hi Lesmor, what speakers are you using? I wonder if something very bright might drag a bit more excitement out of the 7200?

Hm thats very surprising for me... i had the x7200wa before i moved to the arcam 550... the Denon was of very bad Quality in my opinion... for example the speaker terminals had very loose contacts by using bananas or without. this issue could never been fixed by the denon support altough the Receiver was sent in two times...
And in my opinion the soundquality of the arcam 550 is supperior over the 7200wa even without using Dirac! sure the 7200wa has more gimmicks. but i don't need them and the most important thing is the soundquality for me... i use the 550 in a 5.1.2 setting so just perfect for me. So it depends what the personal preferences are... some have more gimmicks others are better in General soundquality (Stereo and multi-channel) and so...

Cheers Stefan

I just gave that as an example. Having never had the Denon or Arcam in my hands ever I just went with what the reviewer said about build quality. Also I didn't want to just give every award to Arcam :)

I am facing a big dilemma. Arcam 550 and get an external amp later for the 4 Atmos tops, or Anthem 1120 for a full all in one solution. hmmm

Hi Lesmor, what speakers are you using? I wonder if something very bright might drag a bit more excitement out of the 7200?
@HariSeldon
As it happens as well as changing the Denon 7200WA to a Arcam 850 I had also changed my speakers to Arendal1723 Monitors which although not run in yet yes I would describe them as bright.
To be clear, IMO the Arcam 850 is better for music, perhaps even films but not enough to justify the price difference.
If it had been I would not have returned it.
Although I haven't heard the 550 the price difference v the Denon and the fact it has Dirac narrows it down some.
Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Arendals Lesmor. But of course system matching is often more critical than taking each component in isolation. I found the sound from the 7200 mid-range at best for 2 channel, and very tame for multi-channel, bettered by my 10 year old Z11 amp, but then I think the days of Japanese super-amps have gone, there has been nothing like the Z9/11 or A1XVC for a few years now.

What is the 555 model you mention?

but then I think the days of Japanese super-amps have gone, there has been nothing like the Z9/11 or A1XVC for a few years now.

I think they are coming back judging by my ex 3030. I take it you've never heard the Onkyo PR-SC5530 & PA-MC5501 Combo?

I am facing a big dilemma. Arcam 550 and get an external amp later for the 4 Atmos tops, or Anthem 1120 for a full all in one solution. hmmm

I'd
I think they are coming back judging by my ex 3030. I take it you've never heard the Onkyo PR-SC5530 & PA-MC5501 Combo?

I had a 3030 for about 2 months - bought of the forums here, ok for AV but rubbish for 2 channel ( way behind the Z9/Z11 in terms of SQ and the Z9 happily drove my 802's) not that impressed. 3030 replaced by an anthem 710 which was a big improvement. Only heard the 3030 - my cousin has one, good AV amp, but once again no better than a £500 dedicated amp for 2 channel. I'd love to see Yamaha do a proper replacement for the Z11.....

Im guessing he meant the AVR550
Thanks yes a typo error which I have now corrected.
@HariSeldon
Heard Anthem a couple of times and they did nothing for me.
Had a Arcam years ago which was the worst amp I ever owned I had hoped things had improved.
Take away Dirac and then see how many would buy the Arcam as a stand alone AVR
Anyway its going away off thread so I am going to leave it there
Andy

@HariSeldon

Andy

Well there's the audiophile componentry and G class amps. It focuses on sound quality over all else which is all I really care about :thumbsup: - If it's a feature count you want save yourself a load of cash and buy a X2200...........

I'd

I had a 3030 for about 2 months - bought of the forums here, ok for AV but rubbish for 2 channel ( way behind the Z9/Z11 in terms of SQ and the Z9 happily drove my 802's) not that impressed. 3030 replaced by an anthem 710 which was a big improvement. Only heard the 3030 - my cousin has one, good AV amp, but once again no better than a £500 dedicated amp for 2 channel. I'd love to see Yamaha do a proper replacement for the Z11.....

Interesting I've just sold it and I thought it was fantastic in stereo mode and so did everyone else who listened to it you are the first I am seeing saying otherwise. Just got a Marantz now that is rubbish in comparison for sure. I will be very curios to hear how much better the Anthem is I am going to demo it soon.

@HariSeldon
Heard Anthem a couple of times and they did nothing for me.
Had a Arcam years ago which was the worst amp I ever owned I had hoped things had improved.
Anyway its going away off thread so I am going to leave it there
Andy

Well i prefer the Arcam 550 even without Dirac over the x7200wa (i had before) in Terms of sound- Quality/image. but if you Need some Features the arcam is lacking then you can choose from the japanese Receiver-armada.

cheers

Well i prefer the Arcam 550 even without Dirac over the x7200wa (i had before) in Terms of sound- Quality/image. but if you Need some Features the arcam is lacking then you can choose from the japanese Receiver-armada.

cheers
I am tempted to give the Arcam a try but not convinced (yet) that its that much better over the Anthem that it's worth the extra.

I am tempted to give the Arcam a try but not convinced (yet) that its that much better over the Anthem that it's worth the extra.

testing the devices is the way to go! there is no such Thing like "the best Receiver"... So you should try them in your room with your speakers... and most important with your ears.

cheers

yes that is the hard part there is no dealer around here who would let me do that.

Nice group test but I also think the Marantz 7010 should have been included - it has most of everything that the Denon has really for much cheaper price and it is the flagship of Marantz range (I know they are in D&M group).

Also just limiting result to one overall is impossible with so many criteria to consider. I would have preferred some sub category results before an overall result, but I guess it maybe is pointless or too obvious to do.

Eg. I would have had something like:

Best Value: Marantz 7010
Worst Value: Anthem MRX 1120
Best Sound Quality: Arcam AVR850
Best EQ: Arcam AVR850
Best for one box Atmos: Anthem MRX 1120
Most General Features: Denon AVR-X7200W
Best Build Quality: Denon AVR-X7200W/Yamaha RX-A3050

Best Overall: ???? Depends which of above criteria is most important to you

And presumably, what speakers you intended pairing with it? If your speakers are on the warm side already, then some of the list you mentioned may be ruled out regardless of their feature set.

surprised no ETA listed for DTS-X for the Anthem/Arcam - is it due soon ?

TO STEVE W. (or anyone else)...

Do any of these receivers offer a "dialogue lift" mode?

Given I have a fairly typical set up of my center channel below my projection screen, I've been intrigued by hearing that some receivers have an option to re-process the sound, spreading the dialogue more into the L/Rs I presume, to lift dialogue "up" sonically, helping to cure the "dialogue
coming from below the screen" effect.

My old Denon receiver doesn't offer this so I've never tried it.

Given I have a fairly typical set up of my center channel below my projection screen, I've been intrigued by hearing that some receivers have an option to re-process the sound, spreading the dialogue more into the L/Rs I presume, to lift dialogue "up" sonically, helping to cure the "dialogue

My Sony STR-DN1040 offers this but only if you have front heights, if that's of any help to you

What you assume to be the purpose of "Dialogue Lift" is incorrect. Dialogue Lift doesn't disperse the sound horizontally, it raises its height up so that you can make where it is emanating from be perceived as being central to a large screen. Only Yamaha include processing that does this and the associated processing cannot be applied to Atmos, DTS:X or audio already being processed using Dolby Surround Upmixing or Neural:X. It has nothing to do with enhancing the dialogue.

tmhY4d.jpg

Other modes such as Dolby Surround Upmixing, Dolby Pro Logic Music and NEO Music do have options to spread audio that would ordinarilly be only output via the centre speaker more via the left and right speakers as well. I'm not sure if these modes are what you are confusing Dialogue Lift with?

Only Yamaha include processing that does this

As mentioned above Sony also has this capability if you have front heights. I've tried it in the past with Yamaha with mixed results. It worked very well with a setup I had based around a 771 but the benefit was limited when I had a 2020. Never tried it with Sony.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom