1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High-definition viewing

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Agent 86, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Agent 86

Agent 86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone please put me right:

As I understand it any one viewing high-definition on a plasma or LCD must therefore be watching it in progressive scan format. Is it true that there are currently no display devices capable of displaying 1080p?

Therefore any one viewing Euro 1080 on an LCD or plasma must have to use a video scaler to transcode downwards to something like 720p ?

Can projectors display 1080i?

Regards,
    Tim

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yes. Most, if not all, display devices can display 1080 images by using their own internal scaler to downscale the image to the native resolution of the panel.

It is the quality of this scaler that will determine the quality of the resultant image (as well of course as the overall quality of the display itself). It is for this reason that many choose an, additional, external scaler such as those from iScan, Lumagen, S&W, etc to improve the picture quality of both upscaled and downscaled images.

HTH

3. Agent 86

Agent 86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

I think the point I was getting at was that there doesn't appear to be display device available in the UK that can display the native resolution of a 1080i high-definition source, without some sort of video scaling.

Therefore, by definition, you are viewing a distortion of the original source. And therefore the original quality is compromised.

Is there any point attempting to view high-definition when you can't appreciate the quality of the original source? I think I'll wait until appropriate displays are available that can cope with 1080i native resolution.

Regards,
    Tim

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    True. But don't foregt many HDTV programs/games are 720p and there are many display devices currently available which can display these at native resolution. Many also believe that 720p delivers a better image than 1080i anyway.