1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Definition Plasma or not? Gordon or Joe.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JetJockey, Oct 12, 2004.

1. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

Perhaps Gordon or Joe can help me with this.

I have a Panny PWD5 42" Plasma but am considering upgrading it to a High Definition model. If I were to couple this with a scaler, would I benefit from a better picture? I am also considering moving up to a 50" model. Does this make the earlier question redundant? Are all the 50" plasmas High Def anyway.

Finally, does the Pioneer 50" offer anything remarkable that the panny does not (a working DVI connection for a start).

Many thanks, Gerald. :)

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You would certainly notice a difference in the picture, but there is a school of thought that says the picture from sky/standard definition material can look better on a SD plasma. With hi def material, there is no doubt, you will see more detail, better in practically every way. Just now, it might also depend on your viewing distance. A scaler will make a noticeable difference to your PW5 as is, and is nearly essential with a 50" IMHO. Personally I think I'd go the scaler route 1st, bearing in mind you'll be wanting one sooner or later, and see if it will tide you over for a few years more so to speak, then get a HD or a 50" (yes they are all HD) when there's some HD material to show on it.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello Gerald

You must have been raking in the Air Miles - a new Display, Video Processor and Pre Amp!!! and have you noticed never a mention of buzzy power supplies these days :)

Going from a PW5 to a PHD6 (or 7) you'll notice less colour banding for a start - and whichever model you go with a decent external Video Processor will outperform the inbuilt processor in the Display (and most if not all DVD players too).

Pioneer and Panasonic Displays can both be made to work with 50 and 60Hz DVI signals - though keep in mind the MXE1 is NOT HDCP compatible; unless you add in one of the as yet untried Aurora TVP-500F cards!

The one feature the MXE1 does have over the PHD7 Panasonic that does have benefits is the FRC Mode 2 - 50Hz is displayed at 100 Hz and 60Hz at 60Hz; keeps everything pretty smooth looking.

Give me a call to discuss - same number as always.

Joe

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Joe

Interested in your last comment there. I have Powerstrip set to 50Hz via DVI, and when I press display on the remote it shows 50Hz. Is it 50, or 100? The picture is rock steady so it's no big deal, just interested.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    philipb

You may be looking at 50Hz or 70hz - depends on the Signal Format, which FRC mode your in and if your in PC or Video mode.

If the Display is saying your inputting a PC signal and your in FRC Mode 1 (Default mode) your seeing 70Hz.

Simple really :rolleyes:

Joe

6. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe and Maw.

Thanks for the info, and your right Joe, the buzzing (which was appalling) was not present on the later models (mine) thank god!

Yes, cranking up the air miles, did three Malagas, two Alicante's and a Nice last week, together with a few domestics. Am with BMI Baby now. Faced with the usual problem though, never get any time to play with the toys that I buy!!!

But moving on, this is very interesting. I am now realising that quite a lot of people are using Scalers to feed their plasmas (Lumagen springs to mind). It must be giving an improvement but I cannot work out why. The majority of Panels out there are low res and as said earlier, I thought the panel just converted everything back down to it's native res again. Obviously there must be an improvement, or people would not be wasting their money on this!?? :confused: Maw makes a good point though, I will need one sooner or later, may as well get it now then.

Bugger! This opens up a whole new area of torment. Having settled on the Arcam DVD player (outputs interlaced thru HDMI - supposedly ideal for input to the Lumagen Pro HDMI I guess) I suppose I now have to consider the relative merits of getting the player modded for SDI (or do I)????? I am thinking that HDMI out is digital and every bit as good as SDI? But wait, that means I need to get my Sky box SDI modded too. :eek:

I have a headache now. :suicide:

Oh well, there goes another £1K.

Which scaler is recommended as best?

And Joe, could you send me a PM with your latest contact details? :lease:

Thanks, Gerald. :thumbsup:

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Jetjockey, clearly you know Joe, you fly for BMI we suppose? I have an old friend last heard of flying for BMI, strangely named Gerry. I hope we don't have a creepy coincidence? My mate was called Odhams, like the publishers. Drop me an email if you know him.

A lumagen could suit nicely, the SDI mod could wait, try analogue 1st. One step at a time is the way to do these things in my book. Joe sells them, and will inform you very thoroughly.

8. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Joe

I'm in mode 2 using input 2 (DVI) from a PC. So 50Hz? The old 433MXE converted it all to 72Hz and it was jerky, but the 43MXE1 is smooth as silk.

Phil