1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Definition over multi Room

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by glasgow boy, Jul 4, 2005.

1. glasgow boy

glasgow boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning a multi room system for a new flat using, hopefully, the Opus Octopus system. I will be buying a new plasma or LCD which I'll need to ensure is High Definition compatable. I'll also take on Sky or NTL in the new flat. My question is, do I need to be aware of anything for down the line when Sky/Cable goes High Definition? Will this work across a multi room system like Opus?

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Should do if the requisite wiring is in place and distribution can provide the provide the speed of transmission either now or by a later update/upgrade.

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Just did a quick search on Octopus - and it looks like it is a composite based multi-room video and audio switching system?

This means that it doesn't even support standard definition digital TV in RGB quality - let alone HD. It would let you route a standard definition PAL composite signal output from the Sky HD box (though this won't be HD) around the house - but not the HDMI or analogue HD component outputs.

I suspect that routing HDMI around the house is going to be a major task - especially, AIUI, you can't connect a single output HDMI source to multiple HDMI displays, as the source and display need to hand-shake with each other for encrypted material ? Analogue HD may actually be easier, but will be subject to potential quality degradation - as analogue signals are.

For multi-room HD I suspect you may actually be better running multiple Sky HD receivers around your house (though as these are likely to be Sky+ who knows if there will be a multi-room subscription deal for them) - feeding dual-LNB feeds to each room. (You would probably need a clever Quad LNB to multiple receiver switch if you want to feed more than two dual-tuner receivers from a single Quad LNB - though this is possible AIUI)

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Looking at the Opus website, I think they are using analogue composite video over Cat5, with some extra switching stuff? Very much doubt this will be capable of carrying HD.

(I don't think they are compressing analogue composite into data form and carrying it as digits - and if they were doing this with HDMI digital data - at around 1.5Gbps - isn't practical AIUI)

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Cat 5e or Cat 6 can do (just about) 1.5Gbps, as I said, providing the distribution mechanism can push that speed easily enough now, or soonish via an update/upgrade, then there's no reason why HD can't be done.
    Like you said, the problem then becomes one of multiple viewing of the same source in different areas of the flat/house due to HDCP handshaking requirements.
    Perhaps the input of the distribution amplifier does the handshake, and therefore the other displays are not involved. Fine in theory, but reality is probably a completely different ball game.

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - all fine in theory - however the Opus solution mentioned is AIUI ANALOGUE video over Cat 5 anyway - it doesn't digitise the video and carry it as digits over a network connection - instead it uses the Cat 5 to carry PAL analogue composite video over one of the twisted pairs in the Cat 5 - presumably with a bit of equalisation to compensate for frequency losses etc.?

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Yes, carrying analogue RGB video over Cat5 is quite common in the KVM (Keyboard, Video , Mouse) market.
    Equalisation is a must and triple video differential amplifier ICs exist to make this easier to implement.
    The principle (Using a single amplifier) is shown here :
    http://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/38-07/equalizer.html
    Nowadays ICs like this are used:
    http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,AD8133,00.html
    (that's the driver)
    There's an RGB example shown in the datasheet. And for the receiver :
    http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,AD8143,00.html

Intersil have some competing or similar products.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.