1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Definition on my Panasonic PW7 - looks amazing!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lisag, Feb 23, 2005.

1. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    I have been downloading the high def demo's from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/ContentShowcase.aspx.

I can play these back on my PW7 panel via my HTPC, I have the screen resolution set to 1280 x 720 @ 60hz and connected via VGA and the quality looks amazing, unlike anything else I have seen - it certainly looks high definition to me, the landscapes are like looking out a window :eek:

I am thinking that if HDTV is broadcast in the UK and I play it via the HTPC and software such as DScaler, then this will work?

Now, I know that the plasma is not a HD panel, so am I missing some fundamental point here?

I am awaiting delivery of a DVI terminal board so can do a comparison when this arrives, and I have only tried the 720p demo's so far, but will try the 1080p demo's when I get time.

:thumbsup:

2. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm so glad you have posted this thread,

I was thinking about bringing my PC down stairs tonight to try it on my PW7 and wasn't sure what resolution to try. So do you use 1280x720 for everything? How's it look? I've read some of your other post about using descaler, got that ready to use.

I'm also waiting for my DVI board... :rolleyes:

If my PC looked ok I was going to upgrade my main rig to AMD 64 3500+ just the CPU and Motherboard and use my XP 3000+ in a shuttle on my Plasma, the SN41G2 V3, shall be using the onboard graphics for the time being :eek: I shall get some more cash around me and get a card so I cn use it as PVR. I've played the coral reef adventure on my main rig.... :eek: WoW!!!!!

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Hi,

Thanks for the response, I also have a Shuttle SN41G2v2 with an Athlon XP 2700, the onboard graphics weren't too great so I got a Nvidia Geforce FX5200 128mb (fanless, hence silent) and works just fine, also supported by XP MCE2005, and was less than £50.

These high def demo's really look fab, I now see what all the fuss is about :smashin:

I have wasted quite a lot of time messing about with the Shuttle to the Plasma connection, I now use that resolution for everything, and in Windows XP I have selected big fonts, and tweaked the desktop settings to make it all more readable on the big screen. The brightness, contrast etc settings also make a difference, I can post them if you want them.

Interestingly I have some Xvid videos that originate from a US broadcast of ER and Desperate Housewives in high definition, and even with the Xvid compression they look better than the UK broadcast!

lisa

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Panasonic plasmas do love 720p, I run my system from a scaler at 720p to save my idle family from changing the settings when we switch the projector on. From a PC, as Lisa has discovered, in spite of some alternative suggestions from a now absent member, 1280/720 is the way to go for lots of reasons. It should work on DVI with a bit of careful tweaking, mine is running at 720p/60hz now on DVI. Hope your PC is stable, we run HCPC in our demo suite, with XLobby and Nebula TV, it's wonderful when it works, but so many bits of software like winamp are interdependent, as soon as someone issues a new version it all grinds to a halt, and requires hours of new setup.

5. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    That would be great if you could post your settings.. :smashin:

Do you have DScaler running all the time? or just for the HD video's?

Can't wait to give it a try tonight.. :thumbsup:

What video card are you using for PVR? gonna get one for my shuttle later on..

The thing is I'm also a game freak, got a 256mb x800 pro in my main rig :eek: . I'd still like to be able to play Medal of honor on my shuttle, been looking at 9800 pro AIW..

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Hi MAW, so is this true High Definition then?
    And, will I notice improved quality when I switch from VGA to DVI?

Cyberbob - My current settings for the HTPC thru VGA input is Cinema Mode, Contrast 0, Brightness -7, Sharpness 3, next page normal, off, off. Probably be different via DVI, might have to use the DVE disc again :suicide: bloody hard work!

I use MCE2005 as the front-end, and only really play with Dscaler as it's a free app and has some interesting filters. I have a 9800pro in my main PC which I use for games, it's very loud which is why I haven't got it in the lounge. I keep the Shuttle as 'vanilla' as possible as like MAW said, the less that is installed on it, the more stable and capable it is for video playback. Seems a shame to not game on the plasma I admit, but maybe a PS2 or Xbox would be better for that?

As for TV cards, after trying out three I have settled on a Hauppauge PVR150MCE analogue card which works in both MCE2005 and Dscaler, I have two others for sale actually - a DVB-T MCE2005 compatible card, and a Pinnacle Stereo TV that works in Dscaler for S-video capture.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's true hi def if the source and the display both are.... Windows showcase is real hi def, as are your yankee clips. Your plasma is not, but who cares, as you say it looks great, a number of members using scalers use 720p, like JasonJo for instance. I think you will see a difference with the DVI card, and with your HD material there is no drawback. The problems start with PAL material, as it's all 50Hz, not 60Hz. You will notice some frame rate conversion issues. For me, I now find they are outweighed by the increased greyscale on DVI and general picture sharpness.

8. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've got a Xbox which I do use on the Plasma, got the HD leads and Wow! 720p is so sweet.

But I like playing online with MOHAA on the PC. I shall have to see. Not sure what to get yet. Had my screen about 3 weeks now, just getting upto the 200 hour mark. I must say everytime I watch a film, I swear the PQ is getting better. Watched I,Robot last night... :D :thumbsup:

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
    Is the increased greyscale on DVI specific to the 7 Series Panasonic's or does it apply to the 6 Series as well??

10. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    So is DVI preferred to VGA from a HTPC onto Panny plasmas??

I'm building my HTPC in a few weeks and will hopefully be linking it up to my 6 series plasma and I wasn't sure what route would be best??

A VGA card is cheaper for my plasma, but if DVI is better then this is the way i'd like to go. Also i'd be getting a cable of about 5 to 7 metres in length to go from the HTPC, is either better for this sort of distance??

Cheers,

Giz.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Jase, I'm not sure on that one, I never had much success with DVI on 6 series screens, it was very fussy. Quite possible mind, I watched Gordon get one going in about 30 seconds! They seem easier on the 7 series, maybe it's just me though. DVI is better at some resolutions, but bear in mind that frame rate issue, you will see judder, the only resolution allowed at 50Hz is 576p, which is actually 720x576 I believe. You won't get a very successful windows desktop at that res, and everything will be squashed except DVD playback with the right software. I find FRC judder acceptable at 1280/720 @ 60Hz, but be warned, many do not. It's especially exasperating in football, which I do not watch.

12. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +888
    Thanks Maw. It would only be used for R1 stuff anyway. Currently I'm using a Lumagen and outputting 720p @ 59.94hz via RGBHV but would like to check out DVI at some point. :)