1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Definition LCD confusion...

Discussion in 'TVs' started by arobba, Oct 22, 2005.

1. arobba

arobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    n00b to the forum so 'Hi' to all & thanks in advance for any help/advice

What I'm really after is a bit of advice in relation to the purchase of a High Def LCD screen.

I've got a few quite specific requirements because it's main uses will be as a screen for an X-Box 360 and also as a PC monitor

So it must have component input + VGA or DVI input (HDMI would be good as well but this isn't essential)

As it's for gaming, the pixel response time is very important so that shouldn't be any more than 15ms (although 12ms or below would be better)

It's going in a limited space (PC cubbyhole) so 23" would be ideal although I'd go down to 21" or possibly up to 26" (depending on speaker configuration - if it's a 26" screen with speakers on the side then it ain't gonna fit)

I'm not rich! £1000 price tags will scare me away ;)

I've been looking at some of the DMTech 26" sets on e-bay as they are in the right price range but I haven't heard much about the brands/sets so I'm a bit wary

Any advice/suggestions folks?

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    If you want to use this LCD for PC gaming and the 360 then I recomend an LCD monitor rather than an LCD tv.

HDMI isnt available on monitors yet, but it is available on LCD tv's.

The only products that will use HDMI are the PS3, Blu Ray, and HD DVD. So if you want to use these products then i recomend you get an LCD tv with HDMI and HDCP.

anything else like the 360 wont need it.

Curently there is a good Dell 24" LCD with a resolution of 1920X1200 and has component, DVI-D, VGA and S-Video.

Its perfect for consoles and PC use.

It doesnt have speakers so u would need to use an amp and speakers, but thats always best for gaming anyway as you can get 5.1 that way.

By the way the 360 will use VGA or component for hi def, it isnt possible any other way.

Your PC can use either VGA or DVI. So i recomend using the VGA port for the XBox and DVI for PC. And you still have 2 conections left for other stuff.

3. arobba

arobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, fair enough but I do actually want a HDTV for when HDTV broadcasting arrives in the UK next year. So a HDTV with VGA input rather than a monitor would be preferable

I only mentioned HDMI to say that if the screen had a HDMI connection as well then that would be a bonus - it's not actually a required element

I've looked at the Dell monitors before but the pixel response is 20-25ms which is way to slow - a shame because they look very decent bits of kit if not overly cheap

Cheers anyway AML

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    New LCDs are actually 12ms or 16ms, including the Dell I suggested.

Most LCD tv's wont accept PCs at high resolutions mate. There is no real difference between an HDTV and a PC monitor. They both have the same resolution and almost the same conections.
    But if you get a TV with VGA chances are it wont go higher than 1280X1024.
    While a monitor can go higher.

The only difference between them is that current TVs have HDMI with HDCP, and monitors dont.

You said that HDMI isnt a priority, which is why i suggested the monitor.

But from the sound of your reply, you may want to reconsider that priority.

HDMI will be essential if you plan to use something like a Blu Ray players or a PS3. Or even an HD DVD player.

You wont need this for Sky though. The first tuners will work with component conections. So almost any TV/monitor with component will work.

5. arobba

arobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually want one with all the bells & whistles but practicalities such as cash & lack of space rule that out unfortunately :(

Checked out the Dell 24" ultrasharp but it's 16ms resonse time isn't ideal

Not as bad as the 25ms response time of the 26" Dell HDTV though

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not strictly true - Sky have only said that their own programming will work over component. It's not known yet if other channels will go over component or only down-convert to SD for component.

7. arobba

arobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    End of the day, if it has component + VGA/DVI then I can live with that - HDMI would be a bonus but not essential for my needs at this time

As long as it's at least 20", no bigger than 26" & accepts HD via component, has a decent response speed & has DVI/VGA then I'll be a happy bunny - it's not going to be my main TV after all

Just not a huge amount of choice under 26" really

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Most LCD tv's that are under 26" wont go higher than 1366X768 or something like that.
    They might have HDMI but only a couple will. Most will only have component and maybe VGA for a PC.

Its hard to choose the right thing, I know as im having similar problems. I know exactly what I want, but it simply doesnt exist yet.
    You will have to compromise at some point.

Take into account that DVI-D (not DVI-I) with HDCP will be interchangeable with HDMI (with HDCP)

DVI-D or DVI-I on PC monitors wont have HDCP so many future formats wont work on it.

HDCP is a must for the future. (if u want Blu ray and such)

Ill tell you the best TV's and Monitors ive found so far.

Sharp 45" and 37" LCD TV's.

AQUOS LC-37GE2 (37)

Aquos LC-45GE2 (45)

Both have a res of 1920X1080. Both are full spec HD.

Both have

HDMI (with HDCP)

VGA (max resolution 1280X1024 SXGA)

Component X2.

S-Video

Composite.

These make for good TVs and will support any future format such as Blu Ray or HD DVD and Sky with HDMI.

Response is 8ms.

Sony has a 40" and 46" with 1080p specs and 2 HDMI's and 2 componets. 8ms response. These screens are better than the Sharps since they go all the way up to 1080p.

These are all TVs.

Then you have monitors.
    As I explaned before these are best for PC use.
    They dont have HDMI but support higher resolutions for PC use (where as TVs dont.)

You have to choose whether you go the monitor route or the TV route.

If size is a problem then you can only really go for a monitor as TVs below 37" wont be all that good.

Monitors between 20" and 26" as you said are also a bit few in numbers.

Currently there are a few 24" monitors like the dell that offer pretty high res (1920X1200) with a component, VGA and DVI-D conection.
    (Although many have said the component doesnt look very good.)

It all depends on what you want to do with your screen.

9. arobba

arobba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like it may have to be the Samsung LE26R41BDX then - I can pick one up for £500 it seems... which is a decent price

I'll need to measure up first mind you as it's going to be close as to whether or not it will fit

10. JOLLYGREENGIANT

JOLLYGREENGIANT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Sharp LC-37GE2 has a 6ms response time not 8ms as AML quoted, however it will probably have a 12 month delivery time to the European market:thumbsdow

11. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Might be worth sticking a post in the LCD TV's and Screens forum, you may get more hits over there.