1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Definition Help

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by sonysideup, Dec 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but can someone please explain to me in plain english how high definition will work?
    I plan to buy an lcd television which is high definition compatible and i know sky are scheduled to broadcast this in 2006? will i need to do anything to the TV when this happens or will it work automatically?
    when i ask the various shop assistants they either A) look blank B) look at their shoes or, worse, C) try to waffle their way round it.
    also, i notice some TVs which are high def compatible only support PAL Progressive yet others have NTSC as well. can someone please tell me what the benefits will be of having both - or will i just need PAL for this country?
    thank you very much

2. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you will only need pal in this country.

You'll need a new digibox from sky to cope with the immense computational work of displaying HD material. If the Tv is HD ready you should just be able to plug and (dis)play.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sky's hi definition service will use HDMI output at either 720p or 1080i. So you will need a DVI+HDCP or HDMI input that will support both 720p/50 and 1080i/25. The choice is at the broadcasters discretion and, if it like most existing hidef STB's, it will not be possible to convert between the two. Principally it is likely to be 720p.

I would imagine that the analogue outputs will be SD only since most of the content will be copy protected and this will not be allowed over an unencrypted output.

A copy of Sky's announcement is post 233 here

-Ian

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Are you sure? I did not think there was that much info on it yet? On other threads and forums the use of component is mentioned, :confused: