High Definition Freeview PVRs - do they exist yet?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by theo cupier, Mar 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    As the title, really. Pretty much the only thing stopping me from buying a Toppy 5800 is it being limited to current "standard" definition broadcasts which doesn't seem like a very strategic investment if HD broadcasts are "just around the corner".

I know we're still a little way off HD broadcasts being commonplace, but I'm partly spurred on by reports that the BBC will be broadcasting some world cup matches in HD. I don't plan to get Sky HD and I'm not in a Telewest area so FTA is my only option, I think (and would be my preference anyway).

So are there any PVRs around already (or firmly planned) which will feed my PHD8 with UK Free To Air HD broadcasts?

2. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I think that the answer to you question is a big 'no' and that any BBC HD broadcasts will only be available via the Sky platform (or maybe Cable). There is no Freeview HD service planned at the moment.
    If I am wrong, someone let me know- I hope that I am!!!

Cheers
    Phil

3. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    HD broadcasts by the likes of the BBC will not happen until 2012 when the analogue bandwith is freed up

But you will notice a difference if they make more bandwidth available for certain broadcasts , ie If you watch certain programmes like Planet Earth where there is HD footage which they might do for the world cup

regards

4. lewi

lewi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi posted a note on this issue several weeks ago. Seems Humax and Pace are both about to launch satellite freeview PVRs in the next couple of months. Will link with the BBC and Channel 4 'experimental' HD satellite broadcasts. Can't remeber which satellite it will be on but it will be free and NOT subscription. You'll still need to buy a dish though

5. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Have a look at this thread, it shows a new Pioneer HD PVR that is exactly what you are talking about.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317105

The problem is (as I said in that thread) it won't see the light of day in the UK because Freeview HD digital is so far away.

Buy the toppy and rest assured that it won't be redundant anytime soon.