High definition DVDs will they catch on ?

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High definition DVDs will they catch on ?

"High definition DVDs are expected to hit the US market in late 2005 or early 2006. Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment (CTHE) plans to release its first high definition film titles at this time"

now while the extra picture quality would be great i dont fancy having to buy a new dvd player and new tele and have all my old collection of dvds being replaced.

(not sure if this is the right place to put this thread but it is about HD DVDs)

The hardcore who upgrade every few months will jump in straight away, but Joe public who is just now getting to grips with this "DVD thingy" will take longer to be won over.
I will definetly upgrade my DVD player but only when the films have been released, you can buy a Blu-ray player today in Japan but I wouldn't touch them at this time.
As you say, you really need a 1920/1080i screen to do HD DVD justice but they will still be a vast improvment picture wise on a normal CRT. :thumbsup:

It might catch on quite fast like original DVD, especially for people with current plasma's and projector's, but the real factor will be how much software will be available and how fast it comes out.

I think it will probably catch on but i suppose it depends on software availability and the initial price. Hopefully a lot a cheap players will be made in the far east as with dvd players to help bring the price right down.

actually i suppose one worry would be will they get real technical on region coding making it harder to crack so as to strictly enforce it.

surly there will only be a small inrease in picture quality for us who have CRT teles at the momet as dvd already outputs over 500 lines resloution onto a 625 resolution tv screen.

HD dvds will require a new tele to get the most out of them so asuming we see all 625 lines of resolution used there is over 400 lines of resoltion not being used what a waste until you get a new tele.

(not sure on the exact specifics but you get my drift)

Even if we don't have a good enough display to resolve all the fine detail the picture will still look better as the compression artifacts and problems associated with current DVD discs will simply disappear (( here's hoping )), and hopefully full DTS bitrate soundtracks will be the norm (( better yet Meridians lossless format ))

Originally posted by inzaman
actually i suppose one worry would be will they get real technical on region coding making it harder to crack so as to strictly enforce it.

And there will always be some "Chinese/Taiwanese/Malaysian" back street boys who will crack it very very easily, thats progress for you :clap:

Originally posted by Zone
And there will always be back street boys who will crack it very very easily, thats progress for you :clap:

I suppose they've got to make ends meat since Justin Timberlake left eh?

was JT in Back Street Boys?

any way, you can buy a Blu Ray player in japan just now. at about $3500....

i wouldn't take the plunge as i'm happy with dvd and i am not about to RE-BUY my collection this soon.

Id happily buy into new tech if I knew the new releases woudl be available on that format (I would leave my current collection on standard dvd) but this isnt going to happen so I will wait until things are reasonably established. Im also way too aware that a £500 dvd player bought in early days found itself battling against sub £100 machines barely a few months later..... thats not the sort of depreciation I like....

ad

I think that HD DVD will be very much a niche market for the first few years like Laserdisc was, don't know if it will catch on other than the HC market.

it might turn out to be the betamax of dvd

As in better quality - but gets ignored.

Please everyone remember that HD DVD players will play DVD it is not like tape where no format will play other tapes

maybe it will come in like the WM9 stuff that is coming..... quiet and unobtrusive, no big deal and just gradually rear its head

ad

Problem with the WM9 titles is the licensing of the product, and all that C**P that goes with it !!

After if you need a net connection just to authorize that product, it'll will become a pain. And won't be really easy as poppin' in a disk an watching it.

Just my thoughts, but then nothin' is straight forward when it comes down to M*****SOFT !!

I'll look forward to the HD titles, when they come out. I just hope it is plain sailing, and they've learnt from the lessons of DVD technology with the new formats.

As far as im aware, the forthcoming WM9 doesnt need all of the same nonsense that came with T2...... there certainly are standalone players which will do WM9, no one has ever implied these need to be networked in any way

ad

Well let's hope they do Buns, and avoid all that messin' that came with T2.

But then as stated in another thread, will these multi-format players be as good as stand alone units ??

And of course will it be backwards compatible with the exsisting formats ??

Most of the DVDs I buy are of (classic) television shows, a high proportion of which are limited to '625'/50 or '525'/60. I would of course purchase Frasier, for example, in 1080i if it were to appear in this (as transmitted) format.

well im also working on the basis that my dvd solution is going to give pretty much as good as anything anywhere can manage..... so will a low end higher res format actually be noticeably better? In anycase, you can pretty much guarantee sound wont be.....

ad

"surly there will only be a small inrease in picture quality for us who have CRT teles at the momet as dvd already outputs over 500 lines resloution onto a 625 resolution tv screen. "

agh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please not the confusion over lines of resolution from a video source and 625 line transmission standards.... they have nothing to do with one another.

I would have thought that HD-DVD wont be released over here as there is no native HD infrastructure or mass display source. Best we can hope for is that the players have downconverters built in to them to output 480p for standard tv's.

Failing that, it will be "back to 1997" where anyone who wanted DVD and software had to import from the States.

I hope to get my first projector by 2007 so hopefully the format will be established by then so I can import and not worry about the domestic market.

my point exactly not only do you have to get a new HD dvd player and HD DVDs you will have to get a new TV. existing dvds you can use with with your existing tele

yes but thats not really a point is it - either they will have downconverters - in which case you'll be safe to accumulate software knowing you can "access" the content when you upgrade your player, or you'll accept that you have to upgrade your display.

If you are sufficiently "into" Home Cinema that you are interested in HD then an upgrade is hardly an issue.

Personally I'd be amazed if HD-DVD players didnt have downconverters - they will want to sell to 100% of the market, not a minority.

The market for HD-DVD in the UK will be tiny compared with the USA and Japan because although there are some HD capable screens sold in this country they arn't sold as such as there isn't any HDTV being broadcast. Hard core home cinema fans will probably get imported machines (that's if HDCP doesn't prevent US players working on UK screens) but it'll take an age before it catches on here.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom