1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Definition DVD titles - any out yet?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by CapnStubbs, Sep 20, 2005.

1. CapnStubbs

CapnStubbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very thankful to everyone's comments on this site, as I'm trying to choose a new LCD / plasma to upgrade my CRT (I've actually just sold the 28 inch Sony with a view to getting a 42 incher, but we're all currently having to squint at a wee 14" jobby, so the eventual difference will be huge!).

Anyway, I digress. first ever post waffle.

I have just over a couple hundred DVDs and enjoy my current home surround system when watching films. I've only ever bought the one DVD disc which is badged as 'Superbit', and will likely pay out more for higher quality Hi Def DVD disks as and when they arrive - though I won't be replacing my collection in any hurry (if at all).

I think there was a thread I read elsewhere that mentioned there being an HD version of Terminator (?), possibly from ebay? A quick scour via google looking for current lists of titles in HD format draws a blank.

Grateful if anyone can add titles / links.

2. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD DVD's - have you got a player for them?

I didn't think they were generally available yet.

Roger

3. CapnStubbs

CapnStubbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No HD player yet. I have a cheap Toshiba, and will probably use component connection when I get the new telly. I know there's a few fairly inexpensive HD DVD players out now - including a Toshiba for a smidgin' above £100 now. Obviously it can wait until the titles start to appear.

4. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    No there aren't any HD DVD players out.

Anything labelled as that is just a normal DVD player that upscales regular discs to high def resolutions.

HD-DVD discs and players won't be around until some time next year.

The Terminator disc you are referring to is a WMV-HD, it can only be played on a couple of specific DVD players or a PC.

The only options for high def films are the limites range of WMV-HD's (about six films and a stack of documentaries) D-Theater which is very limited and horribly expensive or illegal downloads ripped from US broadcasts.

5. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand to be corrected - but I don't think any are due to be available until 2006.

Have a hunt in Google.

Roger

6. CapnStubbs

CapnStubbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dan - others.. thanks. Learning all the time.
    In that case, I will probably wait 'til next year at the least for a true HD DVD player. I'm hoping the availability of titles, especially new ones, will take off. But I sort of look at it like the video equivalent of SACD / DVD-A audio titles, which I don't think has come to the fore at all (though partly, I suppose, due to the two differing formats).

7. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If you can't wait an upscaling DVD player (I have the Samsung HD850) is superb. It takes a DVD and shoves it out (technical phrase that) at either 720p or 1080i (your choice) and the picture quality is marvellous! Using with Panasonic Viera TX-32LXD500 LCD - great telly.

H

8. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I keep hearing contraddicting opinions about these players. Many people say that the DVD player is merely doing what the TV's scaler will be doing to a 480p signal, making the HD output of these upscaling DVD players kind of redundant.
    Still not sure what to believe.

9. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Whilst this is true, there is another benefit to most of the upscaling players around. They mainly use a DVI or HDMI digital video connection (I think to be properly affiliated to the DVD Forum they should ONLY output an upscaled video signal on a digital output with HDCP - not a component analogue output), so an upscaling player will allow the video signal to stay in the digital domain, whereas a component progressive DVD player connected to a display, with the display upscaling, will entail a digital to analogue followed by an analogue to digital conversion, which could potentially cause a quality loss.

10. CapnStubbs

CapnStubbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a test

11. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    OK, how about a DVD player that can upscale to 1080i via component and a Samsung Slimfit HD CRT (which will take 1080i from component)??? Is there such a DVD player - cause this combination seems to be a bargain solution to upgrade from PAL-res DVD until HD DVD is widely available...I am not ready to toss away my whole DVD collection in the near future and, besides, who says that most of my favourite titles will be availble on HD DVD frok start...OPINIONS???

12. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I have Samsung HD-745 1080i output via DVI or component (after MR mod) imho I prefer upscaled image from HTPC DVD player (no black crush).

btw a HTPC with appropiate download HD files (BT,edonkey, newsgroups etc), or WM-HD disc (such as T2) can give true HD. Or Chinese standard HD DVD discs, not many titles or members reviewing posts though.

13. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Yeah, I'm looking into WMV-HD as a temporary solution (although I prefer to keep my PC computing and Home Theatre experiences separated)...thx for the info on Samsung, I'll look into it, also I've just found out about Philips AV receiver, the DFR9000 that can upscale via component from almost any source...