1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Definition DVD - Regions??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rscott4563, Mar 31, 2005.

1. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure if this is the correct forum, please feel free to move... :smashin:

I've been thinking about the future of the DVD format, whether it be HD-DVD or hopefully Blu-Ray and whats the current info on whether these will be region coded like current DVDs are at present, i.e UK = R2 US = R1??

At the moment I don't generally bother with R1 DVDs as I prefer to have as much resolution to play with as possible, I realise that some R1 releases can have a better picture even with the reduced resolution. But in general unless they really screw up the transfer on the R2 edition it should look better. The problem I have with R2 releases however are the slight speed up which can occasionally be noticed and the generally poor quality of the extras in comparison to the R1 release.

Now with High Definition DVD on the way, all countries will have the same resolution 1080i hopefully in the form of 24sF, but probably in 50Hz/60Hz but flagged for inverse-telecine.

So will they do away with region coding? If they don't and players can be made region free just as easily as is currently possible (or even just buy a US player), I for one will definitely be buying only R1 releases as my scaler will be able to retrieve the original 24fps without a problem and this should give me the very best option, shouldn't it???

Cheers

Ryan

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I wouldn't be surprised if they were region coded until such time as all films have global same day cinematic and retail releases

I must admit that since the earliest days of DVD I predominantly bought region 1 to the point where it became habit. In those early days there were several reasons for doing so typically (in no particular order):
    1) Superior transfers
    2) Better sound options (i.e. DD 5.1 not just DPL, DTS as well as DD5.1)
    3) Better (i.e. there actually were some) extras
    4) Available well before the UK cinematic or DVD release.

These days however I typically try and find whichever version costs least. Personally I don't notice the speed-up; can't honestly say that to my ears DTS was so superior as to be a must use on those DVD's where there's DTS and DD to be able to compare; very rarely watch many (if any) extras (don't think I've ever listened to a commentary the whole way through); and finally i'm more patient, so waiting for films to come out locally isn't such an issue.

If they do make HD-DVD/ Blu-ray region free, i wonder if the players would still be region coded for standard DVD...

3. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will probably be region coded. Thats my bet anyways.

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well then I'll be going R1 only then... :thumbsup:

5. dean randle

dean randle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think for quite a while, it's going to be irrrelevant, as apart from the U.S. and Japanese 1+2 regions, we're not going to be able to nip down Woollies to pick up our latest HD releases!

Just looking forward to seeing the discs and hardware! Can't wait to see Hi Def. Hope it's just not going to be exorbitantly expensive....

Dean.

6. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not expecting it to be available down Blockbuster next month or anything, but I can see it being fairly available via the internet both from the USA and here by the 2Q 2006.

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    There is talk of making these new formats only playable in their native countries. (ie R1 will only work in the US/Canada)
    Similar to that T2 Ultimate edition that came out with the full HD version of the film on WM9. It cant be played unless you are in the US. There are ways around such region locking, but for most people it might be too much hassle.

If they choose to go down this route and lock HD films and players to each country, i will probably have to wait until someone finds an easy way to unlock everything.

8. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The reason the T2 WM9 Edition couldn't be played outside of America (though you could get around it) was because it was a computer linked movie, i.e you had to play it through your computer linked to the internet. That sort of regional protection would not be possible with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray as these will not have any sort of connection to the outside world. So the only sort of regional coding would have to be in a similar form to that already in use with current DVDs. And this could simply be circumvented by just getting a player from the country you intend to buy movies from.

Ryan

9. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The thing that worries me is that the regional coding may be deeply embedded within the copy protection software rather than tacked on at the last minute as a sop to hollywood (as with DVD).

This would make it much harder to get round and could make multi-region players a thing of the past.

If there was only one format I could cope with two players to play R1 and R2 titles. But with two formats you'd need four! Sod that for a game of soldiers.

If one of the formats wants to win the war I'd suggest that they go for a non-existent or easily circumvented regional coding system. Guaranteed victory in Europe at least as all the early adopters will go for that one.

10. The Englishman

The Englishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - not sure if this is the right forum but someone might be able to help - I am a newbie to all this - just bought an Hitachi DVRX7000 - tried to play Braveheart and it rejected it saying it was wrong region - my last player, not recorder, played it fine and it was only a Sanyo! Any ideas please? Is there some software I need? Thanks - John

11. thegeby

thegeby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  12. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Or you could just try one of the other forums here, such as the DVD Player forum or the DVD Recorder forum...

Ryan ;)

13. The Englishman

The Englishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - I will do that - sorry to have troubled you

14. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read in an artikle somewhere that there would most likely not be region coding on hd dvd's. Don't remember the specifics of it, just that. But it would be nice if they went the route of the handheld consoles.

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    We would all love that. But the truth is Hollywood wont allow it.
    There will be region locking similar to what we have just now with DVDs.
    Perhaps it will be even worse and we may not get to import HD DVDs or Blu Rays if they make these formats Region only.
    (as in they will only play in specific regions through online checking)
    It would mean having to connect players to the net, but it is possible!

16. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If we had to connect the players to the Net then we shouldn't have to wait for the release, as they could release globally over the internet, ahh but it would download for a week to the hard drive so we'd still be waiting. Guess I'm dreaming again about useful technology :)